Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 AM

41 posts, read 158,547 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend someone to do a survey of my property? I mean just a measurement and identification of the property line? Unlike many disputes, my friendly neighbor says my fence is too close to my house and that I actually own the property about a foot past the fenceline, which runs about a hundred feet. (I bought the house in the early 1990s from a couple of flippers, who had bought it from an estate sale. No one seems to know where the fence comes from.) I could, I suppose, just move the fence over but I'd rather do this right without spending a huge, huge amount of money. I did speak to a couple of firms last year who wanted a lot of money to come out and measure. I don't know where my copy of the survey is or how to accurately measure it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:12 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
If you still have your closing documents from when you bought the house, there should be a survey attached to the title policy. If you don't have the documents, you should call the attorney who handled your closing. If those things don't work, check with the building department at your town. They often have surveys on file. To have a surveyer come out is going to cost a couple of thousand dollars.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:40 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,327 times
I just recently had a survey done on my property and used a company called Schnepf & Murrell who are based out of Sayville. They were very thorough and sent their guys out about 3 times to make sure they got it right as there were some discrepancies with inaccurate monuments. They also did extensive investigation pulling public records for all the homes around ours from the ends of the blocks to assure they pieced the puzzle together properly. It did take 3 - 4 weeks or so to get it completed, but in the end it was worth it to know they must have got it right.

I am not sure where you are located or what areas they do service, but might be worth checking them out. They charge about $650 for the survey itself and about $75 per stake marker or $125 for concrete monuments (I believe - we had them put 1 concrete monument for the corner we had concerns about due to a neighbors driveway expansion we were concerned may have encroached on our property). If you need additional info you can DM me ...

Old 01-13-2008, 01:08 PM

41 posts, read 158,547 times
Hi, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the attorney who did the closing retired and his files I've never been able to figure out where his files went. It was a private sale, no bank financing, and the person I bought it from has disappeared into retirement, too. I'm in Huntington but the Sayville people may just work out. I wouldn't be worried because the neighbor's nice and he doesn't care--he didn't even have to point it out--but he's got a really wretched, horrible son who, should the father die, would be a real major-league jerk to deal with so I want to get it fixed. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island