Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:13 AM

88 posts, read 126,571 times

Advertisements

I have video surveillance cameras around my house as I have had items just mysteriously disappear. I have also had my mail walk away from my mailbox. This caused me and my family crave concern. Both my wife and I have both been previously victimized by break-ins and felt a serious threat with what was going on. So we decided to install these surveillance cameras in the front of the house the sides of the house as well as the sides of the house. Since the installation of these cameras things miraculously stopped other then nuisance of a neighbor blowing leaves etc.

Because of the placement of the cameras I noticed on several occasions my next door neighbors child and friends running through my bushes. I finally said I need to put a stop to this. I need to first say my neighbor and I are not in speaking terms. I placed three signs in yellow stating" Do NOT run through bushes".

Well this morning the three signs were turned backwards facing my property. The neighbor also posted in front of her tree facing the street the following "My neighbor videotapes my son and his friends playing basketball, His camera is pointed at them and HE WATCHES"

Should I go to the police first because they turned my signs around as they are clearly placed on my property and second consult a lawyer for being portrayed as a pedophile or someone that likes to watch children, with the comment that HE WATCHES?

How should I handle this? This is insane.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
You cannot control what signs your neighbor puts up just as your neighbor cannot control what signs you put up.
Put the signs in concrete and use good materials that ensure the signs cannot be turned around.
The neighbor putting up a sign is not against the law and what the sign states is not a lie.
As far as the mail goes you can get a box that locks or get a post office box at the post office.

You can always consult an attorney if you want since that is your choice.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:35 AM

So if someone defaces or changes something on your property its OK? So anyone can come into your house and rearrange your furniture? Is my property not mine? So I can come on your property and move things around because I do not like what is say's? It is my property and no one has the right to move my signs. So I can go on their property and turn their signs around? You are kidding right?

Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM

703 posts, read 1,175,826 times
Don't you have video of someone messing with your signs?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Don't you have video of someone messing with your signs?
Yes, I have the video showing this person touching my signs.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:09 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,461,277 times
Do you have a permit for the signs?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Do you have a permit for the signs?
There is no town requirement for posting a sign saying to not run through the bushes. This is a private home. It would be like a sign "Beware of Dog" or "No Soliciting"

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 AM

414 posts, read 809,667 times
Dig a ditch behidn the signs. Let the kids fall in and break an arm or a leg

Old 12-04-2014, 08:34 AM

703 posts, read 1,175,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
Yes, I have the video showing this person touching my signs.
Go to the police then ask what you can do about someone habitually tresspassing.

Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,087,366 times
To me it sounds like there is quite a bit of bad blood between your neighbor and yourself. Instead of the passive aggressiveness of posting signs, maybe a sit down with a third party present to try and hash out your differences would be the best bet. However, this is Long Island, and this never seems to happen.

However, the people the turned your signs around, didn't deface your property or cause any damage, so there really isn't an legal recourse that can be sought. However, if you were to catch them on camera doing something more negligible, I would advise contacting the authorities.

As for the sign they have posted, it's most likely just as offensive to you as your sign is to them. And I'm also going to assume that much nastier things have occured on both sides of this argument for a while. Confront your issues with your neighbor and you'll see that things should get better. If they don't, then pursue legal action. Unfortunately, there is really nothing legally that can be done at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island