Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 04:08 PM

195 posts, read 430,665 times

Advertisements

If you have the money for a hedge wall of bushes you have the money for a 3' high fence.
Put one up, run it up until 8' from the curb and be done with it.
(Cheaper then they cost of buying and planting bushes)
If they damage your new fence then its a lawsuit.

...go with a 6' high one if its behind the front of the house footprint.

Also you could string rope, fishing line or wire cable in several horizontal rows between your bushes to "aid with support" of the plants. They will get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:10 PM

11,697 posts, read 12,887,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Asking a neighbor to keep their kids off your lawn or better yet asking the kids themselves to keep off may possibly result in physical confrontation? Old people seem to have no problem voicing their concerns.
The OP said that there had already been bad blood between himself and the parents from other issues.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:44 AM

573 posts, read 1,251,778 times
Commoncourtesy,

Any updates on the sign saga?

Old 12-09-2014, 07:56 AM

88 posts, read 127,455 times
I did go to the police and did file a report. The police officer did acknowledge that since the "do NOT run through the bushes signs" were on my property the next door neighbor should not touch them, but no crime. He however advised that if the signs were removed then that would be considered "theft" and then the police can take action. The police officer further advised that I should continue to document these type of activities by my neighbor should I want to take it further down the road as "Harassment etc".

The verbal vulgar abuse did continue by the husband later on that evening after he had come back from his hunting trip. I had walked over on the sidewalk and not laid a foot on his property, to see if the signs had been turned again and also to see if they had posted another sign on their tree "as to how I sit and watch the boys playing basketball on my camera". The husband must have seen me and came out on the pretense of admiring his Christmas Lights. He greed with Hey D--k H--d. You chicken, cluck cluck, cluck. You are so tough hiding behind your camera. "Just wait when I install my camera and I watch you in your back yard. I just walked away as he continued his lovely serenade to me.

This time I just listened to what my wife had advised me to do. Just ignore him as he is trying to instigate you and it looks like you are the bad guy to the neighbors because you were by his property. I followed my wife's advise. Next morning I saw him walking over onto my property I opened up my front door and asked what he was doing there? His smart response was I just walked over to get my son's basketball anything wrong with that? It is mysterious of how the basketball appeared on my property at 9 AM on Saturday morning. No one was playing ball and let's see the ball could have been picked up the night before when he was having the lovely conversation with me. As my wife has told me he is trying to blow your bubble and he wants you to lose it so you look like the one that is starting this.

I can write a book but this is all I should say. I want to thank all of you for your responses and kind advise. I will try to keep it under control and not confront him. Just the officer told me just come down and we will file another report so if I need to take it further I can.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,457,525 times
Maybe its time for you to start looking for a new house. This kinda of crap is not worth it. I would have confronted him and would have probably ended up in jail. If that would not have worked I would have paid someone to harass him and make their lives miserable. I will not put up with this nonsense and my temper would have gotten me in trouble. Keep going to the police and if that does not work you need to move. Plain and simple.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:59 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,682,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
So if someone defaces or changes something on your property its OK? So anyone can come into your house and rearrange your furniture? Is my property not mine? So I can come on your property and move things around because I do not like what is say's? It is my property and no one has the right to move my signs. So I can go on their property and turn their signs around? You are kidding right?

I did not say anything close to what you have written here. You need to read my post again because I have no idea what you are referring to in this post.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:08 AM

413 posts, read 602,221 times
"I have security cameras all over my house..."
"my mail has gone missing and I have CRAVE [sic] concerns..."
"I put signs up that say "stay out of the bushes..."
"my neighbor and I have a bad history."

You sound like a party to have for a neighbor. Point your cameras at your own entrances and put a lock on your mailbox and it wouldn't be so obvious you fear your neighbor and maybe he wouldn't take it personally as anyone would. If my neighbor was filming the "bushes" and it picked up my kids, yeah that would be confrontational. I'd either discuss it like a man OR build a fence and consider the relationship dead. The cops have better things to do than guard your bushes and mailbox. When communicating doesn't work, 6' PVC fences make great neighbors.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:50 AM

88 posts, read 127,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
"I have security cameras all over my house..."
"my mail has gone missing and I have CRAVE [sic] concerns..."
"I put signs up that say "stay out of the bushes..."
"my neighbor and I have a bad history."

You sound like a party to have for a neighbor. Point your cameras at your own entrances and put a lock on your mailbox and it wouldn't be so obvious you fear your neighbor and maybe he wouldn't take it personally as anyone would. If my neighbor was filming the "bushes" and it picked up my kids, yeah that would be confrontational. I'd either discuss it like a man OR build a fence and consider the relationship dead. The cops have better things to do than guard your bushes and mailbox. When communicating doesn't work, 6' PVC fences make great neighbors.
Marigold, this is exactly what I was to trying to say. I end up looking like the BAD guy. The reason for these cameras were:
  • Door bell ringing at 2, 2:30, 3:00 AM and no one there when I went to the door
  • Holiday decorations destroyed
  • Items taken away from my property
  • My nativity scene destroyed
  • Side gates of property left opened after they had been closed the night before
  • ETC, ETC ETC
Possibly where you live this is the norm and it is acceptable by you. It is not about bushes and spying. It is about trying to figure out who is doing this. It is about feeling violated, insecure, who is peering in through the windows in the middle of the night, who is taking things and causing damage. That is why these cameras were put up. I have tried to talk to this guy as you said man to man. You can't deal with trash. Of course I can get physical but that is not the point. The point is, this is my castle and I should have the right to enjoy it. If this dirt bag does not accept civility then he needs to be locked up. He is a great role model for his son as he is creating another bully just like him and his wife. I have two teenage daughters and I am trying to be a role model. Kicking someone's rear and landing in jail, would be a great example of a great role model. What ever happened to respect and decency. I do not disturb you so why on earth are you bothering me? I just want peace when I come home from work. As a side note he begins his torment, as soon as I get home and exit my car in my driveway. He beeps his car horn several times, drives by my house and beeps his horn and waives as he drives by etc. Yes as I noted before I can kick some rear but I am trying to be reasonable and go by the book. Document his continued abuse. He is tormenting me and wants me to get physical so I can get locked up and appear to be the aggressor. By the way mysteriously this what ever you want to call him has been home for the past two years unemployed. His wife works in town as a professional with a very nice salary. I guess he can afford to stay home and abuse me as he needs something to fill his day. I do not have time to sit and come up with ways to annoy my neighbors as I work for a living. I do not want to move just because someone is doing this. I feel there is something mentally wrong with this guy and I will not be the one that gets locked up and/or move.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:35 AM

9,531 posts, read 16,004,970 times
What are the rules on putting up a 4 or 6 foot fence anyway? I'm sure you can't do it all the way out for a sideyard as neighbors have to be able to see backing out of their driveway.

I think the more you respond to your neighbor in any way (signs, etc.), the more he will continue his torment. That's how immature people get their kicks. Put up a fence and be done with it - no reason to go through your property otherwise. At least you're not home all day. I agree you shouldn't have to move because of this. If you had a crackhouse next door, then yes.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:39 AM

344 posts, read 721,656 times
Moving's obviously a PITA; no reason you should incur the substantial cost and effort. Maybe it's time to sue.

EDIT: Oh, I realized there is no fence. Just put up a fence! Sounds like it is worth the few $K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island