Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:10 PM

13,070 posts, read 18,281,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM78 View Post
Being of Indian origin myself, I can tell you that most Indians who are born and/or raised here don't really care much about being in an Indian neighborhood. Its mostly the first generation immigrants who feel the need to be in an Indian neighborhood & since the OP mentioned that he/she is from India, I'm guessing that's the case here. Its not really about race or anything but its just that these folks feel more at home when living in these neighborhoods which have some Indian population, Indian shops, places of worship etc nearby.

Exactly why I suggested Hicksville, there are food markets, sari shops, a bank, a spice market and the population has shifted to a majority of Asians. Look at the brokers that sell homes in Hicksville and you will find a large percentage are Indian.

Herricks has a large Indian population but there are not many homes in the area in the correct price range for the OP and few shops that might maker them most comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM

58 posts, read 64,713 times
Hi All, thanks a lot for your response and suggestion. We will look for something in new hyde park. Really didn't wanted this post to start something about race, just that I want to be closer to the culture (cannot really leave that since I have already spent my 30 years in the culture). Thanks everyone.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:57 AM

4,219 posts, read 4,145,717 times
Quote:
Being of Indian origin myself, I can tell you that most Indians who are born and/or raised here don't really care much about being in an Indian neighborhood. Its mostly the first generation immigrants who feel the need to be in an Indian neighborhood & since the OP mentioned that he/she is from India, I'm guessing that's the case here. Its not really about race or anything but its just that these folks feel more at home when living in these neighborhoods which have some Indian population, Indian shops, places of worship etc nearby.
Floral Park/New Hyde Park in Queens is becoming overwhelmingly Indian. I have to assume a lot of the new residents care very much about being in an Indian neighborhood.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:18 AM

71 posts, read 160,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
[/b]

Exactly why I suggested Hicksville, there are food markets, sari shops, a bank, a spice market and the population has shifted to a majority of Asians. Look at the brokers that sell homes in Hicksville and you will find a large percentage are Indian.

Herricks has a large Indian population but there are not many homes in the area in the correct price range for the OP and few shops that might maker them most comfortable.
Hicksville would be the ideal choice for the OP if schools were not a factor for him/her. Although Hicksville schools are not bad, they are not as good as New Hyde park, Herricks or even East Meadow.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:11 PM

13,070 posts, read 18,281,134 times
Quote:
Hicksville would be the ideal choice for the OP if schools were not a factor for him/her. Although Hicksville schools are not bad, they are not as good as New Hyde park, Herricks or even East Meadow.
I am not versed in EM at all and know a little about NHP but I can speak with some authority on Herricks and I seriously doubt that a house in the budget stated is available in the New Hyde Park, Williston Park, or Albertson portion that goes to Herricks.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:00 PM

9 posts, read 32,306 times
Floral Park has 2 parts: the "Village" side south of Jericho Turnpike in Nassau County and the "city" side near Hillside Avenue, which is in New York City. There are a number of Indian businesses on Hillside Avenue and a fairly large Indian enclave.

Note that Floral Park is split tax wise as well 3 ways: 1. Floral Park Village (Nassau): High property taxes plus and incorporated village tax. 2. Floral Park (Nassau): outside of the Village, lower house prices, 3. Floral Park Queens (New York City), with significantly lower property taxes but higher home costs.

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island