Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGardner333 View Post
Hello, I recently received a job offer in College Point and we are going to be relocating from the Albany area. I have lived in suburbs around Albany and Schenectady pretty much my whole life. My wife has some family in Glen Cove, but it seems pricey in a lot of areas on the North Shore.

I need an area that is good for families, my wife and I have 5 children. We have a full house obviously, so need at least 2000 Square Feet. A backyard would be nice, a third of an acre is fine. Budget is $2500 per month.
Are your children of school age, and how important are schools to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 4,682 times
Default Don't be scared off

Hey don't listen to them its not that bad of a commute depending on what time you leave, I live in Smithtown and travel to Jamaica estates every morning and it takes me 50 min to an hour and I leave at 615 in the morning and get there by 715 everyday and on fridays i get there at 7. The only time its longer is if its raining or snowing because people don't know how to drive. Also I just bought a house in holtsville so it can easily be done. So move here if you want it can def work for you!!

Old 08-24-2014, 01:14 PM

13,064 posts, read 18,172,477 times
That's dandy for you but what if he has a 9 - 5 job. What is he supposed to do from 7 - 9? What is your commute home like? No way he is getting home before 7 if he is going to Holtsville or that area from CP, unless he can leave by 4 p.m. In addition in the summer on a Friday tell us about your commute and how wonderful it is.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:51 PM

26 posts, read 31,956 times
45 minutes is fine. Right now, my hours are pretty flexible, as long as I get the job done---I can get to the office at 7, 8 or 9.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
$45k bump from what? Let's talk turkey. No one knows you here. Unless you were making $100k in Albany you are making a pittance with 5 kids. And while taxes are high in Albany they still do not compare to Long Island. It doesn't sound like you are getting what you think you can get so the question is - what are you most willing to give up, size of the house, land, commuting time or school district?

Commuting Time---

Old 08-24-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsrule10131 View Post
Hey don't listen to them its not that bad of a commute depending on what time you leave, I live in Smithtown and travel to Jamaica estates every morning and it takes me 50 min to an hour and I leave at 615 in the morning and get there by 715 everyday and on fridays i get there at 7. The only time its longer is if its raining or snowing because people don't know how to drive. Also I just bought a house in holtsville so it can easily be done. So move here if you want it can def work for you!!

Yeah in Smithtown you can get a nice piece of land too...

Old 08-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
no!!!
My NIMO bill last winter was close to $500 a few times in 1400 SF...

It is quite a bit colder up here too...

Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Ok mistake number 1 moving to long island
Your bump in pay will just get gobbled up by the exorbiant cost of living on li and working in the city
Best advice, look for someplace more realistic, many people are running from here

Maybe that is why the houses prices have fallen 50% in some areas and are still falling...

Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
Have you considered renting a house in queens (north flushing/whitestone/bayside)? You will be sacrificing on space and the monthly rental might be higher than you budgeted, but you will be able to save a lot on commuting cost and time).

I am looking at some pricey rentals there...

Old 08-24-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metsrule10131 View Post

How about your evening commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island