Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:14 PM

26 posts, read 31,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Seclusion. And affordability. LI is a complete and total ripoff and it is only gonna get worse.
I have narrowed down the areas I want to move upstate. Gonna start heading up on weekends to scope it all out before I make a decision. I'm not gonna miss the beaches, bagels, pizza, or cologne.
Seclusion and affordable---

That's about 80% of Upstate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM

How about West Hempstead???

Old 08-23-2014, 12:44 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Have you looks into the cost of a lirr commute from Suffolk and then the cost of a NYC taxi every single day?
Where n college point is this? I worked there once for a couple months. Some areas are very desolate.
I hope they are paying you a large bump in salary. I went to school up by you. How much time have you spent down here?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:47 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGardner333 View Post
Would it be possible to get some land out in Suffolk and take the LIRR?

I see saw some nice houses in Centerreach--- is their WIFI on the train?

It seems the train doesn't go to College Point--- I guess I could cab it after???
Unless you are making a mint that idea is not a good one.

You should look in New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Albertson, Mineola which is in Western Nassau. I should add that is not going to be easy given your budget. Have you thoroughly researched the area so you know what you are getting into? Cable bills, Electric, Oil or gas?

Old 08-23-2014, 12:48 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
I don't think 2500 a month is going to cut it for your needs.
2000sq is a house basically. Whole house rentals are a fortune here on LI.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:58 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Its a shame when people accept a job here and dont scope out what it costs to live on this paradise of an island.

OP you might need to reconsider unless this new job is that fantastic.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Have you looks into the cost of a lirr commute from Suffolk and then the cost of a NYC taxi every single day?
Where n college point is this? I worked there once for a couple months. Some areas are very desolate.
I hope they are paying you a large bump in salary. I went to school up by you. How much time have you spent down here?

It's by the East River on 14th ave...

Bump is 45K...

I have spent about a week in LI...

My wife has spent summers down there growing up---

I don't think LIRR is a viable option unless I ditch my $385 lease I have right now and share a car with my with wife which is payed off or get a smaller car payment...

I guess I could always drive in from the North---Connecticut, maybe???

Old 08-23-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Its a shame when people accept a job here and dont scope out what it costs to live on this paradise of an island.

OP you might need to reconsider unless this new job is that fantastic.

I don't think that is option for me...

I have already accepted...

I am going from managing 15 employees to about 100 so it's a great opportunity...

Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM

20,060 posts, read 20,872,330 times
What about Orange County?
LI is super expensive, everything about it.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Unless you are making a mint that idea is not a good one.

You should look in New Hyde Park, Floral Park, Albertson, Mineola which is in Western Nassau. I should add that is not going to be easy given your budget. Have you thoroughly researched the area so you know what you are getting into? Cable bills, Electric, Oil or gas?

I have looked into Cablevision...

I would assume the heating/electrical cost are similar...

A lot of areas around Albany---Niskayuna, Slingerlands are very similar with taxes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island