Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:26 PM

56 posts, read 142,160 times

Advertisements

We are buying a house in North New Hyde Park. I want to take the N22 bus to Jamaica and then take the F train to Manhattan. Anyone done this commute? I've looked up posts on online forums and have heard that the N22 is unreliable, not on time and overcrowded in the mornings during rush hour. My commute will be 1.5 hrs if I take the bus and then the train. Is it worth the time?

I would like to take the N22 vs the LIRR, to save some serious bucks between my husband and I.

Another option is to drive to Kew Gardens or Forest Hills and look for street parking there. Then hop on to the E or F there. Anyone do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,136,517 times
Depending on where exactly you are, you might be able to take the Q46 (from Union Turnpike/Lakeville Road) or Q43 (from Hillside Avenue/268th Street) to reach the subway.

The Q43 connects with the (F) at the first stop, so it gives you a better chance at a seat on the train, but the Q46 connects with the (E), if you're going to 8th Avenue in Manhattan.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM

56 posts, read 142,160 times
We are equidistant from Hillside Ave and Jericho Turnpike. So I was thinking of taking the N22 from Hillside Ave. Or I can take the N24 from Jericho. Either way, I was just curious about how reliable these buses are. Are they overcrowded? Will I not get a seat? Is it tiring to take the bus to the train every day?

My life will be changing dramatically with this move and I'm a bit nervous.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 PM

487 posts, read 545,906 times
Why don't you consider taking the LIRR? I think it would be a much easier commute into Manhattan rather the bus/train connection you are considering. I do know that the F train is very congested in the am. Which part of NHP will you be moving to? Depending on where, there are different station options you may consider.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:42 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,416,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two boys View Post
Why don't you consider taking the LIRR? I think it would be a much easier commute into Manhattan rather the bus/train connection you are considering.
I used to live in NHP and the LIRR is definitely the best choice. I did the bus/subway combo a few times and it sucked. It's way too much time and aggravation. Since I only did it a few times, I never figured out the monthly savings but whatever it is, it's not worth it.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 PM

258 posts, read 457,251 times
NICE in general is unreliable, with buses either not showing up or leaving too early. I used NICE to get to the LIRR to commute to Manhattan often about a year ago, and my peeve with them was buses always leaving too early and therefore never showed up at the stop.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:22 PM

122 posts, read 267,290 times
I drive to queens (188 st. and union) and catch the qm5 express bus or you can take q46 to F train.

Lirr is fastest but you have to pay for parking also.

N22 to Jamaica will take very long unless you leave 5-6am...

There is also the x68 express bus from floral park but I never tried that.

Old 07-05-2014, 11:12 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,327,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny16 View Post
We are equidistant from Hillside Ave and Jericho Turnpike. So I was thinking of taking the N22 from Hillside Ave. Or I can take the N24 from Jericho. Either way, I was just curious about how reliable these buses are. Are they overcrowded? Will I not get a seat? Is it tiring to take the bus to the train every day?

Well if you asked this question prior to 2012 I would have said the n22 & n24 are pretty reliable. But Nassau County decided to save money by getting rid of the MTA running our buses and use a private company (Veolia) instead, and the system was renamed NICE. Except there's nothing NICE about it.
The n22 and n24 are scheduled to run pretty often, especially at rush hours. I however italicize that because often buses just won't show up at all now. There are alot of breakdowns, and drivers keep quitting due to the very poor conditions. It is a good alternative to the LIRR, and usually there are seats in New Hyde Park (it goes SRO near the city line) but allow extra time just in case a bus does not show. And of course is a bus is missing it will be packed.
Depending on where you live you can catch an MTA Express Bus from North Shore Towers, I think it costs $6, which is pretty reasonable compared to the LIRR.
It's a shame because I'd ordinarily recommend the n22 or n24 to the 179st F train subway, but since NICE took over from MTA there are less buses and they are much more unreliable. You can thank Ed Mangano for that. But he won't be running things forever, eventually the next County Exec will realize NICE is a failure and make a deal with the MTA to resume running Nassau bus operations, which is in the best interest for everybody.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:01 PM

852 posts, read 970,059 times
OP, your commute on the N22 (or any not-so-NICE bus)and subway will take longer than if you were taking the LIRR from mid-Suffolk!

You live in a highly congested area like that, where everyone commutes, you pay a high price.

Not-so-NICE buses are slow and unreliable in the middle of the day. Much worse on rush hours!

The Queens Blvd. subway is slow and jammed. The Archer/Jamaica Ave Subway is just SLOW.

Driving to Spew Gardens () and then taking the train, will take you an hour and half...if you're lucky!

LIRR is the only way to go...and that will be no picnic either- but it's probably the fastest way....as long as it doesn't snow; rain; get cloudy out; or have leaves fall on the tracks. [seriously!]

I don't know how people stand to live like that. I'd sooner live in the City, near work....and I HATE the City!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,136,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny16 View Post

The N24 is even more unreliable, because the route is more congested.

In any case, I'm assuming you're not within walking distance of the Queens border, so I stand by my earlier recommendation of driving to a Queens bus and using that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island