Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 05:56 PM

94 posts, read 131,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny16 View Post
We are buying a house in North New Hyde Park. I want to take the N22 bus to Jamaica and then take the F train to Manhattan. Anyone done this commute? I've looked up posts on online forums and have heard that the N22 is unreliable, not on time and overcrowded in the mornings during rush hour. My commute will be 1.5 hrs if I take the bus and then the train. Is it worth the time?

I would like to take the N22 vs the LIRR, to save some serious bucks between my husband and I.

Another option is to drive to Kew Gardens or Forest Hills and look for street parking there. Then hop on to the E or F there. Anyone do this?
Yes, both n22 and n24 buses are unreliable.
During rush hour, n22/24 buses has more people and sometimes if you rode in between, you wouldn't get a seat or either bus operator might flag you down because buses cannot fill out any more.
n22 bus is faster than n24 because n22 is more straight and n24 stops pickup westbound into Queens or eastbound into Nassau County near 239th St area for drop off/pickup.

If you were traveling during PM Rush Hour, I suggest you should go to Hillside Av/New Hyde Park Rd and take n22X Express Jamaica, which has two stops from there to 179th St Subway Station, which is NICE version of Limited stops.

If you were coming from Manhattan, I suggest you should be last car of Jamaica-bound (F) or 179th St-bound (E) train and exit at 168th St and walk over to 165th St Bus Terminal for n22/22A/22X or n24 bus to New Hyde Park because between you may not get seat and you might be squeezed like fish since NICE Passengers don't have patient of waiting for next bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 06:40 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,181 times
The thing is the OP lives in New Hyde Park, but I'm not sure where. If you're close to Jericho the train station is right there, but up on Hillside it may pay to take the n22. Yes as I said before there are missing buses. But, in rush hour there is a bus scheduled every 5-10 minutes, which is way more frequent than the train, and many trains skip New Hyde Park. The F subway isn't terrible either. If you live a short walk away from Hillside I think it would be quicker (and cheaper) to take the n22. By the time you drive to the train station, find a space (and I think spaces are reserved for GC residents), and then wait for the train the bus would've probably gotten to 179st. It's only about a 20-25 min bus ride, and about 45 min on the F. They can be crowded but so is the LIRR at that time. Plenty of people do this instead of the LIRR.
Of course where I live in Westbury the distance is much greater, and for me, the LIRR is worth it.
http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media...apSchedule.pdf

http://www.nicebus.com/NiceBus/media...apSchedule.pdf

The n24 runs along Jericho Turnpike & is slower and more prone to delays. But it's still fairly frequent. In terms of NICE, service is pretty decent in Western Nassau (compared to further east).
I do apologize for the change in opinion, but after looking more closely at the train & bus schedules I dont see the LIRR being that much better, there's even less trains that stop at New Hyde Park than Westbury! If you live near the city line you can catch a city bus as well. Seeing those packed trains in Jamaica the other day didn't help either. Here's what you'd be paying north of $300 a month for...

6:35pm local train to Hicksville at Jamaica that makes all stops after New Hyde Park to Hicksville

Old 07-11-2014, 07:15 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,821 times
OP, what time would you be commuting? I have a friend that used to drive to Hillside Avenue in the vicinity of 188th Street, look for parking on one of the side streets, and then ride one of the local buses a couple of stops to the 179th Street stop. The good thing about that stop is that it's the first one, so getting a seat will be loads easier. Until 7:30am, some E trains originate there too.

I completely understand your wanting to save money on the LIRR, if your job isn't near Penn Station, it's just more money to spend.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM

56 posts, read 141,974 times
Thanks for all your suggestions. Yes, we will be in Pilgrim Estates in North NHP. I can walk to Hillside Ave and Garden Ct in 10-15 min and catch the N22. I don't mind waking up early and walking to the bus. Only problem is that if the bus service is spotty, I'm in trouble.

My husband is not one to take the bus. So, since we both work in the city, if he's driving in, I might as well join him. On the days that he is not going to work (vacation, sick time), I will have to take the bus. That's why I wanted to be prepared for the N22.

As far as driving to the E/F and parking on the street, I'm wary of parking on Hillside Ave near the F train (179th St), given the sketchy neighborhood. We were thinking of driving to Kew Gardens/Forest Hills and looking for street parking or paying per day. Any tips on parking in Kew Gardens and Forest Hills?

Much appreciate all the helpful tips.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:27 AM

147 posts, read 371,274 times
Q43 or N22 --> F train isn't bad in the mornings. In the morning the E stops at 168th st as well, but I am not entirely sure of the schedule since I do not usually work in the city. Door to door downtown will take you 1 hr and 20 min. Buses come every 10 minutes. X68 express bus is about 35-40 min. LIRR is 35 min to penn. If your hours are normal, it should be fine to take the bus. early morning or late night is much more erratic, but you have the LIRR as another option.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,193 times
The worst bus ever, I waited from from 11:15 to 12:15 of the bus in 179 street. According to the bus bus schedule there should have been 3 buses picking me up during that time. Anyways do not ever depend on NYC transit, ever. The management and evrything about MTA sucks.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:39 AM

402 posts, read 518,530 times
What about parking your car in Jamaica Estates and walking a few blocks to the F train?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:02 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,327,622 times
I never took the N24, I am a N20/N21 Veteran from the city line stop (great neck/ little neck border) to main st flushing (7 train). I Can say this NICE bus is the worst run transit around, that's saying allot.

Here is a list of daily issues.
No shows
The bus leaves early
The bus doesn't stop
Constant breakdowns

Take the bus for a week see how it is, if you go thre bs route after 3 months you will end up taking the LIRR. I moved 20 minutes East and take the LIRR now and my Commute is 30 min faster each way.

Nice is known as S*H*I*T BUS Slow Horrible Inefficient Transportation

Old 07-22-2015, 02:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
That commute will be ridiculously long, maybe even 2 hours. The LIRR is more expensive but it will only take about 30-40 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That commute will be ridiculously long, maybe even 2 hours. The LIRR is more expensive but it will only take about 30-40 minutes to get to midtown Manhattan.
^^^^That's how I felt; the lower cost wasn't worth the extra time and aggravation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island