Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 12:31 AM

122 posts, read 236,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Give me a break.

This guy has been arrested before for drugs. He is not an angel.

You can see that he was stopped by an unmarked vehicle.

They knew the perp and the perp knows them.

Of course the perp's family wants to make it seem like he is a victim. This is his big chance to get a payday from our tax dollars.

If anyone in a car makes a sudden movement and opens up the glovebox during a traffic stop the cops are going to think what they've been trained to think, GUN.

They didn't know he was grabbing weed to shove in his mouth at that moment, they were only reacting to what he was doing. A little bit of weed would have been a misdemeanor AT MOST. More then likely it would have been a violation amount of weed.

The bag guy caused this whole thing. I've seen police brutality and this isn't it.
Or say, he was going for his insurance and registration?
You dont even know what actually happened to make that argument for or against him because you have as much information as we do. Therefore, this guessing game is bad.

Even I had encounters with great Nassau and suffolk county officers but the worse are NYPD. They wrote me down for BS tickets and had to pay for them. Driving at 35 on a residential zone and another vehicle soars past me only to push his brakes. But I was stopped and given a ticket for doing 55 on a 30mph zone.
NCPD and SCPD are pretty good when compared to NYPD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 08:41 AM

290 posts, read 583,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Doesn't NCPD have tasers?
almost exclusively, they don't. ESU has them.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:17 AM

321 posts, read 596,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Doesn't NCPD have tasers?
This is a great example of what I'm talking about. You don't have the knowledge to form an educated opinion but here you are...

Only some of the special units carry tasers in Nassau. The SCPD has deployed tasers across the entire force.

This would have been the perfect scenario to deploy a taser. The bad guy is in a confined space, grabbing for an unknown object. He could have been incapacitated with the taser, cuffed and then he would be back to 100% seconds later.

Without having the taser they had to incapacitate him with force, which is what the video shows.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontesi View Post
Or say, he was going for his insurance and registration?
No one makes a sudden movement for their registration. Just think about how illogical that is. You're in the midst of talking to the cop and you DIVE for the glovebox to grab your registration?

Please don't forget that these cops and this perp have encountered each other multiple times in the past. They probably call each other by name during their conversations. The cops know he's a dealer and the perp knows that they know.

For whatever reason the perp didn't want to spend the night in detention and you've seen the rest.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 PM

122 posts, read 236,119 times
Quote:
No one makes a sudden movement for their registration. Just think about how illogical that is. You're in the midst of talking to the cop and you DIVE for the glovebox to grab your registration?

Please don't forget that these cops and this perp have encountered each other multiple times in the past. They probably call each other by name during their conversations. The cops know he's a dealer and the perp knows that they know.

For whatever reason the perp didn't want to spend the night in detention and you've seen the rest.
I do understand that but the fact that you're saying EVERYONE who goes for the glove compartment is LOOKING for a gun is absurd.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:02 PM

413 posts, read 599,509 times
Quote:

Did you watch the 1 1/2 minute video or just that 30 second snippet? The officer already confronted the perp on the passenger side. Clearly no fear of gun, escape, registration, lollypop or anything else. Officer felt safe enough to casually stroll back around the car...until...more than likely the other officer said perp was eating the weed and 1st officer races back (no fear of gun, knife, mace, pipe bomb or cat o nine tails) and proceeds to repeatedly knee and punch the guy's face in. So now instead of a routine drug bust of a repeat annoying punk (who supposedly these cops already knew and weren't particularly afraid of, except that he had tried to videotape them in the past which pissed them off), we get to pay a civil suit for an overzealous cop.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontesi View Post
I do understand that but the fact that you're saying EVERYONE who goes for the glove compartment is LOOKING for a gun is absurd.
I'm not saying that they are. I am saying the police are trained to react as if they are. Police are trained for the worst-case scenario. They would have been justified drawing their guns and holding him at gunpoint. This is how people get shot. The alternative is training the police to be passive and that is when the police get shot.

The bottom line is that as long as you do as you are told when stopped by the police you will never have a problem. This perp is a POS and he got what was coming to him.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Default Yet more "NCPD in action!"

Latest news on another of the numerous NCPD scandals:

Michael Tedesco, ex-Nassau cop who visited mistresses on duty, pleads guilty - Newsday

Quote:
Michael Tedesco, 45, had faced more than 100 criminal counts, including felony charges of tampering with and falsifying records, after allegations he spent up to six hours a shift at the homes of two women instead of doing his job.

Prosecutors said he pleaded guilty to 75 misdemeanor counts of official misconduct. He'll have to forfeit about $195,000 in termination pay, do 100 hours of community service and pay $3,700 in restitution.
Michael Tedesco, Ex-Nassau County Cop, Pleads Guilty To Regularly Visiting Women While On Duty « CBS New York

Quote:
MINEOLA, N.Y. (AP) – A retired Long Island cop has admitted he was having trysts with two women while on duty.

Michael Tedesco pleaded guilty in Nassau County Court on Monday to 75 counts of official misconduct.

The former Nassau officer was sentenced to 100 hours of community service. Tedesco, 45, also forfeited a $195,000 termination package and will pay about $3,700 in restitution for pay he received while spending time at the women’s homes.
One of the most disgusting parts of this to me has nothing to do with what he did. It is handing out almost $200,000 in "termination package" money to an officer who didn't even make enough rank to get out of uniformed patrol! This is insane and it does not happen anywhere else in the world that low ranking officers in the police department are (a) paid as much as NCPD is in the first place PLUS (b) bestowed with packages like this upon termination! This should be stopped and they should have to use their sick/vacation days or lose them like people in free enterprise have to, not be able to save up a fortune for the taxpayers to pay. For those that say it saves money on "overtime" all I can say is the OT is yet another gravy train and they can and do find excuses to do lots of OT without covering sick/vacation time anyway (see seethroughny website) and as a taxpayer I'd rather pay for police coverage of sick/vacation time at the insane pay rate it is NOW than allow officers to save it up for years and pay it out at the insane pay rate it is DECADES LATER.

The union has made this into a Lotto job, so no wonder so many NCPD officers think they are above the law and end up on the news.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 PM

The reason why they are able to bank their termination pay is because it actually saves the taxpayers money.

If you "use it or lose it" then they will absolutely make sure they use every day during their career. The difference in the private sector is when you call in sick, your desk is empty. When a cop calls in sick, another cop stays on overtime. This winds up costing the taxpayers much more money.

I believe the cops are able to cash out on half their banked sick time. So you would be paying 100% of those sick hours at the overtime rate instead of paying half of them at the regular rate upon retirement.

I understand the knee jerk reaction when you see a civil servant getting paid that kind of money as a retirement bonus but there is some actual logic behind the payment.

Congress members get paid $174k FOR LIFE right now and they don't do a damn thing. Think about all that money.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I was thinking of the cop who pulled his gun on the bartender in Farmingdale.

The guy who got shot was a cabbie.

Both should have been fired, the second guy should have been put in prison for a long time.
The reason you couldn't find the story is you put in "fired" as a keyword on the search. Last year he got his "punishment" (if you can call it that) and he did not get fired!

Nassau cop Richard Hefferon gets community service, fine for pulling gun out in bar - Newsday

Quote:
A Nassau cop who aimed a loaded gun at a Farmingdale pub manager's head while drinking off-duty will avoid jail but pay for his crime with 150 hours of community service, a judge decided Tuesday.

Calling Officer Richard Hefferon's actions "reckless" and "irresponsible," the judge ordered him to continue substance abuse therapy and pay a $500 fine.

District Court Judge Rhonda Fischer also said the 48-year-old officer won't be allowed to carry a gun for two years while off-duty, or go near the victim.
I especially like this quote from Robert McDonald, his defense attorney:

Quote:
"Life is a series of moments and that day, that night, Rich Hefferon was caught at a very bad moment," McDonald said, adding that someone's life should be judged "by the overall arc of who we are."
Seems like most criminals get sentenced without that consideration at all! If you do the crime, you do the time! Not in this case! Now IMAGINE if an ordinary person pulled a gun on a bar manager and pointed it at his head and what would end up happening to them! Huge, huge double standard at work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island