Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 08:31 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,152,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I don't remember terrorists acts like this growing up as a kid in the 50's and
60's. So how did it start and how can we fix it

Two reporters from Bucharest just put on Al Qaeda shirts (with a logo), wore those wrap
Muslim turbans and went to the airport there . They were able to get right up to and in planes that were leaving for London and New York. No one stopped them at all. That is truly frightening as real terrorists could do literally anything once they are in a plane, as we all know.
Nancy, can you give a link to that story? Security at Heathrow has always been tight and would bet there is less to this story than it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 AM

652 posts, read 2,266,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Nancy, can you give a link to that story? Security at Heathrow has always been tight and would bet there is less to this story than it seems.
I couldn't let me copy the link but here's the story..All I had to do was Google..doncha just love Google...lol

Journalists in Al Qaeda Airlines hoax

Two journalists walked into a Romanian airport wearing Al Qaeda Airline uniforms and put fake bombs on planes.

An investigation has been launched after the pair entered Baneasa Airport in Bucharest dressed in hats and overalls marked "Al Qaeda Airlines".

Alexandru Cautis and Catalin Prisacaru, from the Academia Catavencu newspaper, drove into a supposedly secure staff car park unchallenged.

They put fake bombs on passenger planes before going to a section of the airport which is used by the military.

They walked around a Hercules plane being prepared for take-off before leaving, again unchecked by anyone.

They said: "We heard from people who used this airport that the security is very lax and wanted to prove it. We could have had a bazooka in our car and as much dynamite as we wanted."

The transport ministry has now started an investigation.

EDIT: Just did a SNOPES on it but nothing came up

Old 12-09-2007, 09:52 AM

Thanks Andy. Sounds like a problem with Romanian security, but that's not much of a surprise.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Tragedies like these can only be prevented by arming the population. I believe we are safer when the law abiding citizen can defend themselves with a firearm.
How much hard training time do you think the average law abiding citizen is willing to invest in learning who to handle much less defend themselves with a firearm? A police officer will average less than a 25% hit rate while under stress. Think the average person can do better?

I hate to use the NY Times but the numbers are accurate.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/we...w/09baker.html

FWIW, I am a gun owner and have a concealed carry permit.

Old 12-09-2007, 10:45 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,671,057 times
Default I'm not a gun guy

Quote:
How much hard training time do you think the average law abiding citizen is willing to invest in learning who to handle much less defend themselves with a firearm? A police officer will average less than a 25% hit rate while under stress. Think the average person can do better?

I hate to use the NY Times but the numbers are accurate.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/09/we...w/09baker.html

FWIW, I am a gun owner and have a concealed carry permit.
On a few occasions, I got to practice with a .38 revolver. It really makes a big, startling BANG about two feet from your ear. People have a concept that it's like Capt Kirk's phaser but it's not; it's a powerful machine that makes a controlled explosion in your hand.

Then, there's the idea that, you pull that thing out, you better be ready to shoot somebody. There's a split second you have to decide.

Like I said before, I'm on board with the concept of the Armed Citizen. But Clark St's right on about such people needing real training. And, I'd never under present circumstances pack a gun. It doesn't appeal to me in the least.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM

Shoot someone and then live with the consequences of that action. We won't get into how to approach a bad guy or what to do if the police show up because of shots fired and see you with a gun. There's a lot more to carrying a firearm than just showing up, shooting and having everyone think you're a hero.

Old 12-09-2007, 11:56 AM

652 posts, read 2,266,087 times
Quote:
Shoot someone and then live with the consequences of that action. We won't get into how to approach a bad guy or what to do if the police show up because of shots fired and see you with a gun. There's a lot more to carrying a firearm than just showing up, shooting and having everyone think you're a hero.
It scares the hell out of me when people think citizens should carry fire arms. Texas for example has a huge crime rating and those people are pistol packin' people. Its done no good for them as far as I can tell.

How many people are capable of changing their tire without having trouble?
I can only begin to imagine..actually...I don't even wanna go there...how many deaths of innocent people there'd be if your every day citizen was pistol packin'.

I was robbed twice in two weeks many years ago so I went out and bought a 12g shotgun and some bird shot. I was scared that someone was bold enough to come into my house twice in two weeks.
The salesman that sold me the 12g said that was the gun I should buy b/c of the sound it made when you slid the bolt action thingy back (see how much I know,,,ugh). He said that was a universal sound. If I hear someone come to my door at night to take the rife and pump it once or twice (its a pretty loud sound). He said if they don't leave right away then to fire it through a window into the air and if that doesn't do it then........

Some detectives that came to my house told me to aim for body mass...Geeezzzz. Some advice. They were probably right but they didn't even ask me if I knew how to handle the gun first.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:42 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,295,327 times
Default oy gevelt

Oy vey.......

Spoken like a true Nu Yawker , andy .

Old 12-09-2007, 12:48 PM

8,818 posts, read 21,295,327 times
Clark Street ,
Security at Heathrow has always been tight and would bet there is less to this story than it seems.

It happened in Bucharest. A plane was headed for Heathrow , though. Western Europe is much more stringent, but just a stone's throw away from East Europe. Great reporting, though.

Old 12-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Before you think allowing citizens to be armed would result in higher crime and death here are some numbers for you.

New York state has 2.5 times the population of VA with...
2.3 times the murder rate of VA (we can call that even)
3.9 times the aggravated assault rate of VA
4.45 times the robbery rate of VA

New York Crime Rates 1960 - 2006
Virginia Crime Rates 1960 - 2006
Handguns

Overview of NYS in regards to handguns
Handguns
* Permit to purchase handgun? Yes.

* Registration of handguns? Yes.

* Licensing of owners of handguns? Yes.

* Permit to carry handguns? Yes.

Other Requirements

* Is there a State waiting period? Up to 6-month wait to acquire permit to purchase a handgun.

* Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? Yes.

* Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes.

* Record of sale: Yes.

Overview of Virginia in regards to hand guns.
Handguns

* Permit to purchase handgun? No.

* Registration of handguns? No.

* Licensing of owners of handguns? No.

* Permit to carry handguns? Yes. A permit is required if concealed.

Other Requirements

* Is there a State waiting period? No.

* Is there a FBI *NICS check for firearm transactions? No. State system.

* Permit to carry a concealed weapon required? Yes.

* Record of sale: No.

*NICS - National Instant Check System

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 12-09-2007 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island