Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:39 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
The problem with many "adults" who live with their parents on LI, is that they don't save. No plans for independence. They are comfortable where they are with no responsibilities, so why leave? Don't have the $500 in rent you promised to your dad? Big deal. He isn't going to send the creditor after you. "Sorry, I'm tight this month, I'll be sure to pay it next month." But look at them, do they look like they're struggling? They drive nicer cars than we do, eat out and go drinking with their bros all the time. Just keeping it up until they get their inheritance.
The other issue with these kids is that they are saddled with college debt with fewer job prospects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 11:04 AM

236 posts, read 473,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
The problem with many "adults" who live with their parents on LI, is that they don't save. No plans for independence. They are comfortable where they are with no responsibilities, so why leave? Don't have the $500 in rent you promised to your dad? Big deal. He isn't going to send the creditor after you. "Sorry, I'm tight this month, I'll be sure to pay it next month." But look at them, do they look like they're struggling? They drive nicer cars than we do, eat out and go drinking with their bros all the time. Just keeping it up until they get their inheritance.
Quite frankly that reflects just as much on the parents as it does the kid -- that sense of entitlement likely took root long before he was a post-college slacker.

As someone not far removed from the age group in discussion, I would guess that the person you describe in that scenario is in the minority around here, despite the common stereotype.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:22 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Well since South Dakota is doing very VERY well, I'm not sure what your point is. Is it a good thing? Your tone suggests otherwise. Their current economic state is 16 out of 50 and their economic outlook is ranked 3rd.
http://www.alec.org/wp-content/uploads/SD.pdf

NY current economy is ranked 37 with an out look at 2nd to LAST (49).
http://www.alec.org/wp-content/uploads/NY.pdf

The empire is state is not quite the empire it used to be. Although you do have an emperor.
Just an FYI the ALEC laffer index you posted is written by a tea party backed group that bases economic growth mostly on slashing taxes. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with him, but there are tons of detractors of his methodology out there. Not to mention you have to take anyone with a political agenda like this with a big grain of salt.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Just an FYI the ALEC laffer index you posted is written by a tea party backed group that bases economic growth mostly on slashing taxes. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with him, but there are tons of detractors of his methodology out there. Not to mention you have to take anyone with a political agenda like this with a big grain of salt.
I agree, and am unaware of his research. There are plenty of other reports out there that show South Dakota is doing quite well though. WIll fetch some when I get home.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
I agree, and am unaware of his research. There are plenty of other reports out there that show South Dakota is doing quite well though. WIll fetch some when I get home.
Oh no argument there with the oil boom going on over there.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:52 PM

31 posts, read 153,371 times
They cant tax you if you cant affort it. Its crazy that they try to do it. Why do people pay when they cant. You cant blame it on teachers becauce they do good things but some of them aint tying. They are lots of rich people in nassaw and other placse that can pay for this stuff so why dont they?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:02 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,423,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsmith View Post
They cant tax you if you cant affort it. Its crazy that they try to do it. Why do people pay when they cant. You cant blame it on teachers becauce they do good things but some of them aint tying. They are lots of rich people in nassaw and other placse that can pay for this stuff so why dont they?

That's the spirit. drive out the people who own business' and invest in business thus creating jobs off the Island or out of the state. Didn't NY already lose 45 billion dollars in the first decade of the 21st century as a result of mass exodus? Keep up the momentum and pretty soon NY will only have a lower middle class and poor with a few wealthy elite left in Manhattan for good measure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	tax-foundation-income-migration-map.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	125604

Last edited by Sigequinox; 02-19-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 05:10 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
After 11 pages, what are we left with....

I say my idea to consolidate all the departments is a good start, along with investing commercial growth in Hempstead and Riverhead. They should build more apartments in both areas and build them up to be more urban.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-19-2014, 05:44 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,897 times
Quote:
That's the spirit. drive out the people who own business' and invest in business thus creating jobs off the Island or out of the state. Didn't NY already lose 45 billion dollars in the first decade of the 21st century as a result of mass exodus? Keep up the momentum and pretty soon NY will only have a lower middle class and poor with a few wealthy elite left in Manhattan for good measure.
Attachment 125604
People have been talking about this "mass exodus" and yet STILL, posters are sharing instances of bidding wars on homes and folk that are paying ABOVE asking price. If this "mass exodus" is real, who's buying these houses then?

Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
People have been talking about this "mass exodus" and yet STILL, posters are sharing instances of bidding wars on homes and folk that are paying ABOVE asking price. If this "mass exodus" is real, who's buying these houses then?
You will always have people/families moving from NYC to the suburbs for what they believe a better life. This has been going on for generations and will continue for generations to come. L.I. Population is pretty stagnant compared to some other places in the country. As long as your near NYC your suburb will be desirable until you get your tax bill of course lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island