Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 PM

11 posts, read 12,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceandFire View Post
LOL that's a weird story. You go have the stress of getting into medical school and spend 4 years there and decide to become a teacher, what a waste. Your doctor friend must have been having problems with his practice because specialty doctors make $200-$300K+ even with Medicare payments and malpractice fees. He also must have not did his research because in order to make $100K as a teacher you need at least a Master's degree and 10 years of work. The again I don't know your friend or his circumstances, but that's my 2 cents.

Cops on LI making $200K..meh. Maybe I just don't care because I make more money in the pharmacology industry than LI teachers and cops...and pensions are overrated, who needs pensions when you're able to save your money for retirement wisely? hehe..but all kidding aside you shouldn't care what other professions make, private or public sector, as long as you make enough and are comfortable with your own salary.

So the teacher and cop unions stink on LI? Ok but what's the point in talking about this on CD ? Unless Gov. Cuomo is on CD.
So you'd rather fund your own retirement 100% or close to it rather than get a free pension? Or one with marginal contribution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 02:39 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LardYmike50 View Post
So you'd rather fund your own retirement 100% or close to it rather than get a free pension? Or one with marginal contribution?
Didn't you read that he's a(n internet) bigshot?

"Fund my own retirement? It's a mere bag of shells, Alice!"

Old 10-13-2012, 02:52 PM

31 posts, read 53,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well, if you don't care what are you doing on this thread then?

I didn't say those unions stink. I said they are strong.

Here we go with the "you must be jealous" story. You think we haven't heard that before? The only reason any of us CARE is because we are paying for it, more and more each year. You tried to get people to complain about pharma CEOs and failed. Pharma CEOs are not a line item on my property taxes and it is none of my business. What's paid for directly from my taxes is.
Not entirely true. NIH gives a lot of money to the pharmaceutical industry, which is funded through federal taxes. You're also paying pharma industry through your health insurance. Some airline companies receive about 40% federal government assistance through finances. Again, another thread topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It's more like we are not stupid and are sick and tired of being taken advantage of. We are sick of the schools being a super-entitled workplace for administrators and teachers FIRST, and providing education SECOND. We are sick of the compensation being UNTOUCHABLE and all the cuts being taken out on the kids. We are sick of the kids, the whole reason for there being schools, getting the leftover scraps of money in the budget after the teachers and administrators have their unlimited fill.
If that's happening but then that's too bad and I'm against it..but you can say and make generalizations with other civil worker positions e.g too many federal government workers care about making six figure salaries and don't care enough about the welfare of the people. You seem to be an expert in this topic so I'm genuinely asking you..What is going on with LI schools where you can tell student welfare is not cared about and all the money is going to teachers/admins? How do you measure that? The school building conditions?..because from my experience many buildings in the Northeast are old and crumbling (mainly because the NE was populated way before other regions of the country). Is it the technology, old computers and students not getting ipads? Is the quality of education?..last time I checked the NE states had the best performing public schools in the country (here in California our schools are actually lower performing in Florida!). I'm the type of person that likes to get details on situations on how something is happening rather than just hearing it's happening before I get upset.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:11 PM

5,073 posts, read 3,970,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LardYmike50
Teachers can't save up and buy a house making $80,000 with minimum retirement funding, summers off, and no commuting costs?

How dare we expect teachers to save up to buy a house.

Quick Commenter: Not to nitpick but do you still think teachers live in the closets in the back of their classrooms? I have heard that some actually commute to work.

And you are talking GROSS 80K ...not so easy to live here on Long Island taking home 50K while saving to purchase a home.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Quote:
Do most Long Island teachers spend $250 for a lirr train ticket and another $80+ on subways per month??

A single person making $80k can live well, rent for a while and save up over time. Remember, no lirr/subway fares to pay, minimal retirement contribution and summers off (with the ability to earn more money). Sorry pal, you are out of touch.

Quick Commenter: No, most teachers commute to work by car and thus have the expense of car, gas, and insurance. Why would they "spend $250 for a lirr train ticket and another $80+ on subways per month" on top of that to commute to work when they have already arrived by car? I just realized you think the word 'commute' means to travel by mass transit. Wrong. Who is out of touch pal?

LardYmike50: you are out of touch. Do you not think those of us who take mass transit (lirr + subway) also have a car? Most of us would live to only have the expense of a car. That's almost $10k gross difference.

Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
Oh, I only mentioned that teachers commute to work because somebody wrote:

Teachers can't save up and buy a house making $80,000 with minimum retirement funding, summers off, and no commuting costs?

Quote:
True, what I said was no commuting costs. What I meant takes an extra brain cell to process. Many people have cars and all that overhead with the mass transit commuting costs. $100,000 jobs are tough to find, especially when they don't require lirr + subway, i.e.: commuting costs
Sorry you are not processing. Don't blame your missing brain cell. So you would be happier if a teacher drove to the LIRR, took a subway and THEN drove their car to work and earned 100K? Got it.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:18 PM

31 posts, read 53,340 times
Quote:
$100,000 jobs are tough to find, especially when they don't require lirr + subway, i.e.: commuting costs
This is exactly why I think private sector jobs on LI don't pay appropriate to the COL. But then again LI doesn't have much wealthy industry (no nanotechnology, no big IT industries, don't know of any federal government contracting companies, don't know of any big pharma companies) so of course there isn't going to be many six figure jobs..baffles me why the COL is that high if there is a lack of wealthy private industry on the island.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Quote:

How dare we expect teachers to save up to buy a house.

Quick Commenter: Not to nitpick but do you still think teachers live in the closets in the back of their classrooms? I have heard that some actually commute to work.

And you are talking GROSS 80K ...not so easy to live here on Long Island taking home 50K while saving to purchase a home.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Quote:
Do most Long Island teachers spend $250 for a lirr train ticket and another $80+ on subways per month??

A single person making $80k can live well, rent for a while and save up over time. Remember, no lirr/subway fares to pay, minimal retirement contribution and summers off (with the ability to earn more money). Sorry pal, you are out of touch.

Quick Commenter: No, most teachers commute to work by car and thus have the expense of car, gas, and insurance. Why would they "spend $250 for a lirr train ticket and another $80+ on subways per month" on top of that to commute to work when they have already arrived by car? I just realized you think the word 'commute' means to travel by mass transit. Wrong. Who is out of touch pal?

LardYmike50: you are out of touch. Do you not think those of us who take mass transit (lirr + subway) also have a car? Most of us would live to only have the expense of a car. That's almost $10k gross difference.

Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
Oh, I only mentioned that teachers commute to work because somebody wrote:

Sorry you are not processing. Don't blame your missing brain cell. So you would be happier if a teacher drove to the LIRR, took a subway and THEN drove their car to work and earned 100K? Got it.
Ask your teachers for a refund! LOL wow... The point is 6 figure salaries on LI are hard to come by. If you want to compare teachers to 6 figure salary earners, you'd have to take into account the costs of earning said salary.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
This is exactly why I think private sector jobs on LI don't pay appropriate to the COL. But then again LI doesn't have much wealthy industry (no nanotechnology, no big IT industries, don't know of any federal government contracting companies, don't know of any big pharma companies) so of course there isn't going to be many six figure jobs..baffles me why the COL is that high if there is a lack of wealthy private industry on the island.
NYC... But the other defender of teacher pay cant seem to process that NYC jobs have high costs (commuting) associated with them. He should as his teachers for a refund... Or slap his parents for the bad genes.

Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Not entirely true. NIH gives a lot of money to the pharmaceutical industry, which is funded through federal taxes. You're also paying pharma industry through your health insurance. Some airline companies receive about 40% federal government assistance through finances. Again, another thread topic.

actually it is entirely true. No line item for pharma. Yes government directly and indirectly funds it at some level, but its not direct taxation the same extent as teachers at the local, more impactful level.

Last edited by LardYmike50; 10-13-2012 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 04:13 AM

5,073 posts, read 3,970,469 times
Quote:
NYC... But the other defender of teacher pay cant seem to process that NYC jobs have high costs (commuting) associated with them. He should as his teachers for a refund... Or slap his parents for the bad genes.
No. the 10 million folks living in NYC don't have a particularly high cost in utilizng mass transit to get to their jobs in NYC. Please don't slap your parents.
If your point was that employers set salaries according to the commuting costs of employees I am not sure I agree.
If your other point is that people who work in NYC and live on Long Island frequently commute by mass transit and thus pay for mass transit while people who live and work on Long Island may frequently drive to work and thus pay incresed auto expenses I would certainly agree. Both groups commute to work. Great point.
If your earlier point was that some NYC jobs offer much higher pay than some LI teaching jobs I agree with that too. Another great point. I further agree that some city jobs pay the same and that some city jobs pay less than 80K (gross). And the same goes for Long Island jobs. All also great points .

If you are looking to substantially CUT teacher pay (not freeze but cut) you will have to work with the employer (the school district) to help them succesfuly negotiate. Not sure your inventive commuting argument willl work but you seem to really really believe in it. Some of the wiser districts (I am assuming you don't live in one) have achieved real freezes and increases iin employee medical contribution over the last four years. My district has had a two year real freeze on teacher pay (and step) and all of our teachers pay 30% of their medical insurance costs. Informed board and smart superintendent were the key to achieving this - admittedly a rare combo here on LI. Finally, blaming teachers (employees) for what you see as some high salaries (grosss 80K+) in their ranks ignores the reality that employees do not set the pay scale.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 10-14-2012 at 04:45 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 01:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,331,265 times
Quote:

If that's happening but then that's too bad and I'm against it..but you can say and make generalizations with other civil worker positions e.g too many federal government workers care about making six figure salaries and don't care enough about the welfare of the people. You seem to be an expert in this topic so I'm genuinely asking you..What is going on with LI schools where you can tell student welfare is not cared about and all the money is going to teachers/admins? How do you measure that? The school building conditions?..because from my experience many buildings in the Northeast are old and crumbling (mainly because the NE was populated way before other regions of the country). Is it the technology, old computers and students not getting ipads? Is the quality of education?..last time I checked the NE states had the best performing public schools in the country (here in California our schools are actually lower performing in Florida!). I'm the type of person that likes to get details on situations on how something is happening rather than just hearing it's happening before I get upset.
That's a shockingly unsophisticated question for a self-professed "two hundred thousandaire" but I will answer it.

How do you measure it? Easy answer. By looking at the school district budget. On LI, compensation, benefits, and pensions make up 75-80% of the annual school budget. Everything else, buildings, programs, etc., has to come out of the remaining amount of money. So their costs dwarf the rest of the costs of running the schools.

School performance does not rely on teachers alone. It also has a lot to do with how the kids grow up and what their parents value. For the most part, parents on LI value education and it shows in their kids' achievements. That's why we mostly have good SDs on LI.

When it comes time to vote on the school budget, money allocated to compensation, benefits and pensions are not voted upon by the public. Those deals are sealed behind closed doors first before the budget is voted on. We get to vote on the remaining 20-25% of the budget. Then they play shell games with the contingency budget in which it is often very close to the budget voted on anyway or in some cases it is higher than the budget voted on. So often it makes no sense to vote no.

It is also standard operating procedure for the "pain" of budget cuts NOT to be shared by the supers, admins and teachers. It always comes out of the kid's end. I am a reasonable person. I would accept it better if the pain was shared.

But we just do not see them saying anything like "budget cuts will be shared 50% by the kids and 50% by the teachers, admins and supers." We usually do not see, "We didn't give the teachers a raise this year" or "We decided not to give the super a free car this year" or "we decided to cut the super's bonus this year" because of budget constraints. What we overwhelmingly see is "you will pay more this year or we cut this, this, and this from the kids."

You may think the people like me complaining are just old cranks picking on teachers, admins, and supers. It's not that simple. Also, I do not hate teachers as people. I DO feel that the teachers' unions hold too much sway over the process and that's what I hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island