Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceandFire View Post
WRONG!

1. Several LI school districts have passed rules against this nepotism. I know for a fact that Garden City will not hire a family member of another teacher, administrator, etc. into the district. My neighbor is a teacher in the Garden City district and when her daughter became a teacher the district hiring committee said that a rule was passed that they cannot hire family members.

2. You're making it sound like this nepotism doesn't happen in the private sector. I can tell you several people I know who got jobs in a good private sector company/business because they had a family member or close friend who worked there.

So you can't use the nepotism argument when arguing what salaries a LI teacher deserves because for one, its not as prominent now as you think because of rules being passed and two, nepotism happens in every industry.
When was the last time you saw an add for a teacher or administrator in a local newspaper or jobs website, seems like a very closed process. I have seen a few positions when they are desperate enough for a math or science teacher, but overall the advice is to work with the school board or know someone. Nepotism only covers family members, big void with friends.

Private sector has to show a profit, nepotism does occur but very infrequently, you don't run a company by picking the less qualified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM

31 posts, read 53,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Once again, our school taxes are not used in the private sector.
Neoptism, salary, private sector workers, penison, blah blah blah. It's all been said.

My biggest question to you, and all of the posters who think teachers get paid too much because they're school tax is so high..

What about the overpaid state workers? You also pay their salary in your taxes. So why are you ONLY PICKING ON TEACHERS WHEN THEY'RE SO MANY STATE WORKERS MAKING BANK FROM YOUR TAXES AS WELL???

FYI, the head of the SUNY Albany Nanoscience College made more than $700K last year, that's more money than a LI administrator.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Neoptism, salary, private sector workers, penison, blah blah blah. It's all been said.

My biggest question to you, and all of the posters who think teachers get paid too much because they're school tax is so high..

What about the overpaid state workers? You also pay their salary in your taxes. So why are you ONLY PICKING ON TEACHERS WHEN THEY'RE SO MANY STATE WORKERS MAKING BANK FROM YOUR TAXES AS WELL???

FYI, the head of the SUNY Albany Nanoscience College made more than $700K last year, that's more money than a LI administrator.
It has all been said, but it still exists and is a very real problem for LI taxpayers who are paying for an ever increasing school salary/pension obligation. Taxes increasing so much so that there will come a point where they are so high as to negatively impact property values.

You might wish to create a seperate thread in the NY forum if you want to discuss anything other than LI Teacher's Salaries.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
As I said earlier, I have worked with kids in both public and private schools and everything ipollack just said is true. While there are some good teachers in the private schools where I worked, the staff turnover rate IS much higher than in public schools and there definitely ARE unqualified (lacking degrees, etc) teachers in the private schools. That would never happen in public school, not when there are stricter regulations governing public schools, along with incentives for a teacher to further their education.

And the friends I have who send their kids to private school do so for one reason. They believe their kids will not be subjected to bullying in private school. Their reasons are not educational per se, and they are willing to overlook lack of facilities and programs and subject themselves to hefty fundraising requirements on top of high tuition,in order to ensure their child is in an environment that they perceive as being safer.
Good points but the most obvious reason for turnover in private schools is the compensation in public schools, if you can earn more, get job security and other benefits it's an easy decision for some. Many private school teachers like the atmosphere, more control and less problems but that is not always the case. The quality is better in public schools but I would not say it's a huge disparity, maybe at the elementary school level but not so at HS.

I would not place too much importance on education such as masters degrees and other education credits, much of that is salary, get the credits and you move to the next level. I doubt any serious review other than a rubber stamp exists for step increases, longevity pay, education increases, was there ever a case where a teacher was frozen due to performance?

Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It has all been said, but it still exists and is a very real problem for LI taxpayers who are paying for an ever increasing school salary/pension obligation. Taxes increasing so much so that there will come a point where they are so high as to negatively impact property values.

You might wish to create a seperate thread in the NY forum if you want to discuss anything other than LI Teacher's Salaries.
Personally I don't care about teacher salaries on LI. I grew up on LI and I had enough of it. Everything costs too much on LI for what it deserves: real estate prices, sales and property taxes, insurance, utilities, gas, groceries. I would never move back to LI unless I was guaranteed a job that paid at least $150K+. I also don't care about state worker salaries either. In fact, that is the one thing I liked about it when I worked for the state government was the good pay and pension. My question is why don't you and the other posters start a thread about NY state workers being overpaid since you're so against paying high taxes and having government workers being paid a high salary.

Last edited by IceandFire; 10-10-2012 at 06:41 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM

377 posts, read 644,391 times
This is the problem. Even taking away the high taxes, you NEED a fairly high salary in order to live comfortably on LI. And yes, some people are doing ok on lower salaries, but many of these people inherited their parents' homes , received help with down payments or bought their houses before the prices of medium sized homes went through the roof. And yes, the homes are more expensive here than other places for what you get. My sister's home in north central CT is 100k less than mine on almost two acres vs my quarter acre. And it is a bigger house too. My parents live in Fairfield County. Their house appraised for the same as mine. But my house is 2100 square feet. Theirs is almost 4000 square feet..

How much do young people need to take home per month in order to make it here or to be able to finance a home here? Monthly payment is not everything- Especially with banks being so cautious about who they will lend to and how much they will lend. The banks want to see cash reserves.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Personally I don't care about teacher salaries on LI. I grew up on LI and I had enough of it. Everything costs too much on LI for what it deserves: real estate prices, sales and property taxes, insurance, utilities, gas, groceries. I would never move back to LI unless I was guaranteed a job that paid at least $150K+. I also don't care about state worker salaries either. In fact, that is the one thing I liked about it when I worked for the state government was the good pay and pension. My question is why don't you and the other posters start a thread about NY state workers being overpaid since you're so against paying high taxes and having government workers being paid a high salary.
That would be a statewide issue and not specific to Long Island. I doubt anyone on this forum is supportive of the wages you're bringing up, though. Someone has probably created such a thread on the NYS forum. If you have a few extra minutes, please feel free to dig around.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdlugozi View Post
This is the problem. Even taking away the high taxes, you NEED a fairly high salary in order to live comfortably on LI. And yes, some people are doing ok on lower salaries, but many of these people inherited their parents' homes , received help with down payments or bought their houses before the prices of medium sized homes went through the roof. And yes, the homes are more expensive here than other places for what you get. My sister's home in north central CT is 100k less than mine on almost two acres vs my quarter acre. And it is a bigger house too. My parents live in Fairfield County. Their house appraised for the same as mine. But my house is 2100 square feet. Theirs is almost 4000 square feet..

How much do young people need to take home per month in order to make it here or to be able to finance a home here? Monthly payment is not everything- Especially with banks being so cautious about who they will lend to and how much they will lend. The banks want to see cash reserves.
+1 You hit the nail on the head

If you took away the high property taxes on LI then the COL would be more on par with NoVA..still outrageously expensive!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
+1 You hit the nail on the head

If you took away the high property taxes on LI then the COL would be more on par with NoVA..still outrageously expensive!

It is not the property taxes which are outrageous -- it's the school portion of the taxes which are. My property tax (excluding schools) here on LI is almost the same as my property tax (excluding schools) in Vermont -- AND -- I am getting more services for that money on LI.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
There is an excellent site, See Through NY, which shows salaries and contracts of a variety of workers in NYS, including teachers.

SeeThroughNY :: Home

Very enlightening to say the least. Look for the teacehrs and administrators contracts on the Contract page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island