Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 AM

46 posts, read 18,351 times

Advertisements

No it was mounted, but based on the distance i went and time between exits you can show it is 55 mph, and the rate at which the lines are passing you can show it was a constant speed of 55. In fact, i made sure the speedometer said 58 to make sure it was over 55 ( it is 2 mph off). And no, most people dont go 100 regardless of the speed limit. You people are hilarious, acting like going over 80 is death-defying. I have gone 100 mph on the LIE in the past and it was a joke. I suggest you check out my 33 min video of the east biund side, as well as my 150 others of different highways. Basically i am sick of the government vicitimizing innocent people over trivial Moderator cut: language removed
They have no idea what it is like to drive normally. Sometimes 80-100 mph is normally. I guarantee no one here would stay below 55 while driving the entire length of the LIE. Also, the time saving arguments are bs because if your commute is 35 minutes, saving 20 mins is needed. My dad also commutes from brooklyn to nassau county very day and has to worry about state troopers hiding in every spot imaginable. Speed limits are all unreasonable and are a money making scam.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-18-2019 at 01:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSpeeder View Post
No it was mounted, but based on the distance i went and time between exits you can show it is 55 mph, and the rate at which the lines are passing you can show it was a constant speed of 55. In fact, i made sure the speedometer said 58 to make sure it was over 55 ( it is 2 mph off). And no, most people dont go 100 regardless of the speed limit. You people are hilarious, acting like going over 80 is death-defying. I have gone 100 mph on the LIE in the past and it was a joke. I suggest you check out my 33 min video of the east biund side, as well as my 150 others of different highways. Basically i am sick of the government vicitimizing innocent people over trivial bull****. They have no idea what it is like to drive normally. Sometimes 80-100 mph is normally. I guarantee no one here would stay below 55 while driving the entire length of the LIE. Also, the time saving arguments are bs because if your commute is 35 minutes, saving 20 mins is needed. My dad also commutes from brooklyn to nassau county every day and has to worry about state troopers hiding in every spot imaginable. Speed limits are all unreasonable and are a money making scam.
Sorry to say you essentially proved your own argument. Look at the speed some of the cars are passing you at, they are going faster than 65 in some cases. The LIE is way too urban to have posted higher speeds. There are states that have posted speeds of 80 but they are not in areas as congested at the LIE. That said, of course you are entitled to your own opinion, and I hope that the next time you are doing 80 -100 normally that no-one I know is nearby, because that is hazardous, of course, that is my opinion and the local highway patrol.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Sorry to say you essentially proved your own argument. Look at the speed some of the cars are passing you at, they are going faster than 65 in some cases. The LIE is way too urban to have posted higher speeds. There are states that have posted speeds of 80 but they are not in areas as congested at the LIE. That said, of course you are entitled to your own opinion, and I hope that the next time you are doing 80 -100 normally that no-one I know is nearby, because that is hazardous, of course, that is my opinion and the local highway patrol.
Ha lol even most of the cops admit the speed limit is ridiculous and THAT is where you get your 10-15 over "grace amount" from. Near Riverhead, the LIE is no different from the new york state thruway or I 80/I 78 in NJ. I have driven 6800 miles in the last 7 months alone, have traversed the entire LIe at least 10 times by now so I know how congested it is. One time, it was bumper to bumper until exit 50, but then it opened up and everyone was still travelling around 80 mph after that exit. Speed Limits cannot be set based on congestion because that changes hour to hour, and MOST of the time, half of the LIE is OPEN ENOUGH to go 75-80 mph on it. And yes, the times I went 90+ it was very empty, probably on a weekend, so then there shouldn't be limits during certain hours in that case. Regardless, 55 mph is insanely slow. New York even allows 65 mph speed limits on freeways/interstates, and the LIE meets the 4 lanes, median divider, and rural requirements to be 65 mph, and jeezz 65 mph that's not so generous anyway, seriously is that fastest you have ever driven? Let's not forget then when there's a "work zone" (even when nothing is going on) then they will make it EVEN LOWER to something like 45 or 35 or some nonsense. Where do you draw the line? Even at 40 mph you can make "decent time" but that is not the point. If the limit was higher, most people would not go 20 over because in that case the going 100 instead of 80 is not worth the ticket, whereas 55 is so ridiculous that no one even cares and just floors it. Treat people reasonably and they will respect the law.

Old 09-18-2019, 01:51 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
You do realize that the speed limit is not set so the powers that be can prevent you from reaching your destination in seconds when you leave too late. Its more about how long it takes you to stop. Yes, any speed can kill a person but you're more likely to survive at lower speeds versus higher speeds.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:11 PM

So? What if there is nothing to crash into in front of me? There is literally nothing to stop for. I know you say anything can happen, but people shouldn't be forced to live their life by what-ifs. Going 65 mph is not a big deal on a wide open interstate and legislators are making it look like it is reckless driving. You are telling me you never ever went faster than 55 mph in long island? And no, the government does it to make money. Don't even get me started on the speed cameras placed in 10 mph "school zones". Someone I know recently got a 600 dollar ticket for going 21 in a 15, you call that reasonable? Or making someone drive 50 miles out to court in suffolk county because a ticket for 75 mph is technically "reckless driving"?

Old 09-18-2019, 02:13 PM

How many years have you been driving?

Old 09-18-2019, 02:14 PM

Plus you'd want to do 90 through a school zone with the possibility of hitting kids?

Old 09-18-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
How many years have you been driving?
Approximately 870 miles a month, for the last 4 years.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Plus you'd want to do 90 through a school zone with the possibility of hitting kids?
Did I once mention a school zone? I am talking about a freaking type 1 interstate.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSpeeder View Post
Approximately 870 miles a month, for the last 4 years.

So you're only 22 if you got your license at 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island