Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 06:45 AM

26 posts, read 55,869 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I was wondering why Levittown has such a bad reputation. I recently moved from Brooklyn and bought a house here and absolutely love it. My neighborhood is quiet, safe and I feel very comfortable. My house was gut renovated and is great (besides walking directly into the kitchen, that will have to change) I've heard the school system is solid as well. No kids yet but hopefully soon. My wife is from Seaford and her father voiced his displeasure with the area when we told him we were buying a house there.Can anyone explain why Levittown seems to be frowned upon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 07:48 AM

487 posts, read 545,048 times
Good luck in your new home. I have relatives who had children in the Levittown School District and went on to getting generous scholarships to very respected colleges. A motivated student will do well anywhere. Levittown is a good school district. I find people are critical of any school district if it is not a top 10 school district. I feel even if not a top 10, most are still very good districts even if not considered one of the the "high "achieving" ones. People have to do what is right for their families. I think Levitown was well planned when it was developed and is a lovely community. There seems to be a lot of young families there, too. Don't let those being critical sway you into being unhappy with your decision. Some people are more concerned about what their zip code is to keep up with the Jones'. Having relatives there I see it as a solid community with people living the dream of a safe community to raise children. Wishing you many happy years in your new home.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:06 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,821 times
Depends on the area. I lived in Levittown for about 5 years. There are some very nice areas and some that I would consider less than desirable.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:19 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,876 times
Levittown isn't a bad area but when people hear you live there, I imagine they must just assume you are an average middle class white family. Anyone with a budget of $ 450-600K for a new house would probably not look for homes in Levittown since they can afford more expensive towns. At least in my circles, Levittown homes are considered rather small and have no gas heat (most, if not all, are built on slabs with no basements and for some folks, that's not very desirable when house hunting). Also, some people don't like that there is no LIRR station and residents who work in Manhattan must drive a few miles north or south to access a LIRR line.

My old friend from HS lived there and she even says she was happy to leave because the community there seemed very insular (ie no racial diversity in her school, most families and neighbors were tight knit and very nosy, etc). While the top of her class at McArthur went on to great colleges and Ivies, most in the middle and the bottom were relegated to CW Post (where she enrolled), NYIT, Adelphi, Farmingdale, and Hofstra. Like the above poster said, school district matters greatly. The SD isn't the best, but its far from the worst..Its just "meh" to many so that could be a contributing factor. If you bought a house in Levittown as a starter house and in several years plan to sell, you aren't in a bad spot. Ignore the haters, lol. If you are happy and can comfortably afford the taxes, then more power to you!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:21 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
One of my cousins used to live in Levittown and I don't recall him having particular issues with the place.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:37 AM

204 posts, read 296,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msarran View Post
Hi All,

.Can anyone explain why Levittown seems to be frowned upon?
Because Long Island is full of snobs.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
I think for those high taxes you could get a better school district. I think another recent thread said their school taxes alone are going to be 9k. But a plus is the home prices are lower to start.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
While the top of her class at McArthur went on to great colleges and Ivies, most in the middle and the bottom were relegated to CW Post (where she enrolled), NYIT, Adelphi, Farmingdale, and Hofstra.
Oh the horror

Old 10-14-2013, 08:03 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,996,290 times
Quote:
Levittown isn't a bad area but when people hear you live there, I imagine they must just assume you are an average middle class white family. Anyone with a budget of $ 450-600K for a new house would probably not look for homes in Levittown since they can afford more expensive towns. At least in my circles, Levittown homes are considered rather small and have no gas heat (most, if not all, are built on slabs with no basements and for some folks, that's not very desirable when house hunting). Also, some people don't like that there is no LIRR station and residents who work in Manhattan must drive a few miles north or south to access a LIRR line.

My old friend from HS lived there and she even says she was happy to leave because the community there seemed very insular (ie no racial diversity in her school, most families and neighbors were tight knit and very nosy, etc). While the top of her class at McArthur went on to great colleges and Ivies, most in the middle and the bottom were relegated to CW Post (where she enrolled), NYIT, Adelphi, Farmingdale, and Hofstra. Like the above poster said, school district matters greatly. The SD isn't the best, but its far from the worst..Its just "meh" to many so that could be a contributing factor. If you bought a house in Levittown as a starter house and in several years plan to sell, you aren't in a bad spot. Ignore the haters, lol. If you are happy and can comfortably afford the taxes, then more power to you!
Really? Top went to Ivys and the bottom were "relegated" to private and state schools?! Sounds like a fantastic district. Most send a few to good schools, lots to community college and plenty to the military. Levittown is the best kept secret for young families and starter homes. Taxes are disproportionately high due to little to no industrial base. Small commercial tax base mostly retail. Homeowners take the big hit on taxes. It's a very typical LI suburban, kid friendly, family first community...exactly how it was first conceived.

Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 AM

487 posts, read 545,048 times
Quote:

The colleges mentioned here are very good local colleges. Not everyone can or wants to go away. In the end like everyone else they have a college education with a solid background to start their careers whatever they may be. And they may not have huge student loans that may go with "great colleges and ivies.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island