Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 AM

413 posts, read 599,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorperson View Post
Sorry my view of Levittown does not make some people happy. Levittown was built with no basements, one story houses that people have put a lot of money into. It was a working class area from WWII to present. A lawyer in Levittown ? Maybe, how many doctors in original Levit houses ? Sorry folks, it is what it is. And drugs are a lot worst than you think.

BMW's and Corvettes never impressed me as being a smart buy. Paying off your mortgage and driving a Yaris is a smart move. Many areas in Brooklyn have Cadillacs up and down the block, doesn't make Bedford Styvasant or Flatbush a good place to live, but they are getting better in the last 20 years or so.
It's not that your opinion doesn't make people happy, it's that it is erroneous and inaccurate. "Drugs, lowlifes" heresay BS. I've lived all over. Levittown has and will be mostly cops, firemen, civil servants, younger professionals and union tradesmen. Most of the homes in disrepair are retirees who are getting taxed out but trying to hang on on fixed incomes and usually have family living in the house. Every original Levitt or beat up foreclosure is flipped by contractors and sells in days or weeks.

Exactly how many middle class suburbs are defined by the % of doctors and lawyers? Levittown isn't Dix Hills and that's a good thing. In fact, there are plenty of lawyers (I know them) but they aren't partners in firms, they make $100+k and have young kids and a spouse or significant other. Lots of small business owners, contractors, city union guys (iron, electrical, steel workers). So far (and this is a BIG knock on wood) the drug thing hasn't been too bad. Not nearly as bad as other areas, many much more affluent. The schools are well regarded and the soccer and baseball programs are some of the best in the Northeast.

Your opinion is yours and that's fine. You give yourself too much credit to think your opinion makes people unhappy. It's spreading BS that ticks people off. But then, spreading BS and feeling smugly magnanimous about it puts you in the right place in these forums. I still can't figure out what you even mean by a Yaris, Bed Stuy, Caddies and Flatbush. None of that has the slightest hint of bearing on a neighborhood. Not enough doctors? Well, if I made $500k I'd probably live somewhere with larger lots and more sq footage too. Has zero bearing on "Levittown reputation" which is what the thread is about. Then again by your theory if I were a doctor, I'd buy a Levitt house w/ cash and put a Yaris and Honda Fit in the driveway. That would be the "smart" move. Yeah, that's a common occurrence anywhere on the planet. Brilliant insight there.

Except for the taxes, I'm always amazed at how much people like it here. I generally hate LI but Levittown has grown on me. Great middle class suburb.

Last edited by marigold69; 04-21-2014 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 01:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poorperson View Post
Sorry my view of Levittown does not make some people happy. Levittown was built with no basements, one story houses that people have put a lot of money into. It was a working class area from WWII to present. A lawyer in Levittown ? Maybe, how many doctors in original Levit houses ? Sorry folks, it is what it is. And drugs are a lot worst than you think.

BMW's and Corvettes never impressed me as being a smart buy. Paying off your mortgage and driving a Yaris is a smart move. Many areas in Brooklyn have Cadillacs up and down the block, doesn't make Bedford Styvasant or Flatbush a good place to live, but they are getting better in the last 20 years or so.
Quote:
It's hysterical to see someone from Hempstead knocking Levittown! Truly out of touch with reality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island