Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:41 AM

810 posts, read 1,184,467 times

Advertisements

We are in need of a new roof. First, this comes 2 weeks after our oil burner went. We have been in our Setauket home 15 years. It's a 50 y/o ranch home. It really hurts to spend that kind of money on a roof, but it is necessary. Any suggestions on reputable companies? Also, in your very honest opinions, if you were house hunting and there was a relatively new roof and burner (we expect to move in 5 years) would that sway you a lot? Would you pay more for that home than another similar home in same area? Or would the interior alone be what drove you to buy? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 01:22 PM

12 posts, read 14,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
We are in need of a new roof. First, this comes 2 weeks after our oil burner went. We have been in our Setauket home 15 years. It's a 50 y/o ranch home. It really hurts to spend that kind of money on a roof, but it is necessary. Any suggestions on reputable companies? Also, in your very honest opinions, if you were house hunting and there was a relatively new roof and burner (we expect to move in 5 years) would that sway you a lot? Would you pay more for that home than another similar home in same area? Or would the interior alone be what drove you to buy? Thanks!
I don't think the new oil burner and new roof would have any impact on someone buying your house unless there were solar panels on your roof. My father has owned a contracting business for over 35 years. He was on the board of NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry) for some years as well. He just recently retired, but is in connection with many licensed, reputable, and honest contractors on long island. He might be able to estimate a fair price of a new roof for your home so you don't get ripped off!

Old 10-12-2013, 03:55 PM

204 posts, read 297,602 times
If there's a choice between two similarly priced houses that both appeal to me but one has a new roof and burner I'm buying the one with the new roof and burner.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:57 PM

810 posts, read 1,184,467 times
Thank you both. Christian, that is a nice offer. I was just hoping to get a name &/or number of a reputable company that someone here might have used or know of.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 PM

487 posts, read 546,307 times
Two businesses I would recommend who have been in business a long time and have a solid reputation are: Mineola Roofing and Siding in Mineola and Reality Roofing (I am not sure if they have a Williston Park or Mineola address). We got estimates from both which were almost the same but went with Mineola Roofing). We were happy with the job, but many people I know have used Reality Roofing and they were also very happy.

In answer to your question, I think the interior of home and location would sway me more than a new furnace and roof.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:27 PM

538 posts, read 1,009,441 times
I'll second Reality Roofing. The will come in and get the entire job done in 1 day, and leave your place SPOTLESS after they leave. I've heard horror stories of companies coming in, and taking 3 days or more to put a new roof on, then it rains, and water gets under their temporary tarps. Also, when job is done, other companies leave a few dozen nails behind on your lawn & driveway. NO THANKS!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 09:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,760,775 times
Whoever you decide upon -- make sure they carry both liability and workers comp. Some of these companies hire day laborers who they keep off the books by paying cash. If an uninsured guy falls off your roof, off the a ladder, trips on your property -- you're going to be the one they sue.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 AM

22,686 posts, read 36,870,810 times
I would only be swayed by a new roof and burner if both houses were exactly the same and the prices were similar. When you buy a house you expect it to have a working roof, appliances and heating and cooling.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 PM

19 posts, read 41,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Whoever you decide upon -- make sure they carry both liability and workers comp. Some of these companies hire day laborers who they keep off the books by paying cash. If an uninsured guy falls off your roof, off the a ladder, trips on your property -- you're going to be the one they sue.
This is not entirely accurate. If a construction worker is injured while working at your house (i.e., falls off that roof or ladder or scaffold), you'll get named in a suit as a defendant regardless of whether the employer is insured with a Workers' Compensation policy or a general liability policy. The reason is because the injured worker cannot sue his employer (Workers' Compensation Law), and can only look to the homeowner as a potential defendant. However, homeowners of single or two family homes are shielded from liability for construction accidents involving falls from a height, if they do not supervise or control the work, or otherwise direct the injured worker as to how he performs his work.

Old 10-14-2013, 08:57 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,738,894 times
As a recent house-hunter, I would certainly factor a new roof and burner into my interest in the home and my offering price. When you go to sell, make sure the real estate agent highlights the replacement value of these items. Most people don't have a clue as to what things cost.

I wish I could recommend a roofer. My last roofer at my last home removed three layers of old roofing, replaced some large plywood pieces and (allegedly) installed sheathing to prevent ice dams . . . all in one day on a 3,250 square foot home with a pretty large roof. Of course, a few years later, we had a problem with ice dams in a couple places and I was always suspicious that the sheathing was left off, although I never looked. I was really busy with work when the roof was installed and did not have a chance to observe the installation. I always felt that they couldn't have done a proper job in a single day, so I wouldn't recommend them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island