Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:25 PM

97 posts, read 312,222 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anybody have idea of how much it would cost to completely upgrade a roof? Currently the house that I'm looking at has 3 layers, and the inspector is saying it will need to be completely removed in 3-5 years. (It's illegal to put another layer, so we would have remove all layers) The house is about 1500 square feet.

Additionally, how long can such a job take? When people upgrade their roofs,can we stay in the house or would we have to find alternate housing? Although there is no current issue with the roof, would you wait to start having problems or upgrade immediately? Thanks so much for your help and apologies for these dumb questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM

294 posts, read 878,966 times
Default New Roof

My friend had a new roof put on last Monday. There were several layers and they were removed. All the mess was carted away and it took only the day. They arrived at 7:30 or so and left by late afternoon. There were 13 guys, so they moved quickly.
$4800 which is a good price. Her home is about 1600 square feet with an extension. Architectural roof which should last 20-30 years.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Hi, does anybody have idea of how much it would cost to completely upgrade a roof? Currently the house that I'm looking at has 3 layers, and the inspector is saying it will need to be completely removed in 3-5 years. (It's illegal to put another layer, so we would have remove all layers) The house is about 1500 square feet.

Additionally, how long can such a job take? When people upgrade their roofs,can we stay in the house or would we have to find alternate housing? Although there is no current issue with the roof, would you wait to start having problems or upgrade immediately? Thanks so much for your help and apologies for these dumb questions!
Definitely not a dumb question!

You don't have to "move out"!
You didn't say if this is a ranch (sounds like it) or maybe a cape with dormers, etc.,and a garage, which can make a difference. The extra layer will also make a difference because it'll cost them extra to dump it and they may have to replace some of the wood, depending on the condition (more layers=more moisture can get trapped and rot out the wood)...
A few years ago, I had my roof replaced. Big job, took two days, but one problem was I had FOUR layers (and lots of roof area)! What a mess! And of course extra $$

I'd suggest you start making plans to have it replaced before you have a problem; there's nothing worse than sitting in one of the rooms and seeing a water bubble on the ceiling (yes, it happened to me! )
Better if you pick the time and select someone who can fit you in their schedule at a time that's convenient for both of you, than have to hustle to find anyone to help you NOW because you have a leak... JMHO

Old 08-30-2009, 11:58 PM

This a tudor style house and does not include the garage, which is detached. How much did yours cost ?

Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
it all depends on the square footage and type or style of roof shingles you desire. 3 tab is much cheaper than archetectural.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 AM

79 posts, read 232,434 times
I live in a small levitt cape in Levittown, we had our roof completely redone about 2 years ago and it cost us $3,400. It took them about 6 hours to complete and we also got new gutters with that price.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
This a tudor style house and does not include the garage, which is detached. How much did yours cost ?
Mine's not really a good comparison. First, I had the four layers and the need to replace not just the roof but some supports underneath, and I also have more than one roof line, an attached 2-car garage and a portion of flat roof...
I got architectural shingles as well. Cost: $11,000

Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsui View Post
I live in a small levitt cape in Levittown, we had our roof completely redone about 2 years ago and it cost us $3,400. It took them about 6 hours to complete and we also got new gutters with that price.
Out of curiousity, why did you decide to replace the roof? Who did you use? Would you reccomend them? Thanks

Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM

294 posts, read 878,966 times
Default Roof

Just got the roofers info, will PM you now

Old 08-31-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island