Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:45 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times

Advertisements

A thread in another forum about new neighbors got me thinking of this topic. Are you friends with your neighbors or is it simply a wave hello relationship.

I may occassionally chit chat with my next door neighbor but, for the most part, I will simply wave hello to most of the others. In fact, I dont even know most people on the block. Everyone just keeps to themselves and are probably busy with their own life and friends.

Except for one or two of my friends, most seem to have the same relationship with their neighbors.

So are you friends with your neighbors or is it just a wave hello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:54 AM

886 posts, read 2,646,156 times
Wave, say hello, chat occasionally but always watch out for each other. No, we don't play poker, mahjong or swap wives.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:21 AM
LI-

26 posts, read 33,371 times
Yes I frequently talk and hang out with my neighbors. We look out for and have block event's.This is one of many reasons why I love my neighborhood. It is not all about where you live , but the community coming together.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
Only the ones who don't drive pickup trucks.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:29 AM

42 posts, read 73,519 times
I grew up in queens in an apartment building. My parents grew up in the Bronx in an apartment building. They always told me everyone knew everyone in a building. But, on Long Island you could die and no one on your block would know. One neighbor I'm not in live with. My other neighbor is nice but likes to tell you if he doesn't like something. My other neighbors I like, but I only know about 6 or 7 houses on my block. We hang out with a few of them because we have children the same age.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:03 AM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
We're only friends with one neighbor because my husband and him work together by coincidence, so they carpool and we are there for each other in case of anything. Other than that, we wave hello. I always thought it would be nice to be friends with neighbors but we're not outside enough to make long conversations, and it takes me quite a while to warm up.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:41 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,686,573 times
NO because I have lots of tools that they don't

Old 08-26-2013, 10:43 AM

5 posts, read 8,461 times
No, I'm not friends with my neighbors and I'm not looking to be their best buddy. BUT, it would be nice to exchange courteous acknowledgments. I'm used to the good ole days when people would acknowledge each other and give a friendly hello and a wave. Nowadays, forget about it. Everyone seems to be in their own little world and choose to ignore each other. I grew up in my house and have seen new and old neighbors come and go. It seems like as the new neighbors move in, they can't be bothered with getting to know people and have an heir of superiority because they just bought a new house.

I could be face to face with several of my neighbors puttering in the yard, getting in or out of the car, walking down the driveway, etc. and they choose to look the other way, walk away, suddenly talk on the phone or text, or make believe they just don't see you. I always look people straight on and am ready for a friendly acknowledgment, but never get the opportunity. One neighbor in particular will pull up in their car and if I'm nearby, they will suddendly make a phone call and keep chatting in the car until I go in the house. Or if they're coming out of their house and see me there, they will hide behind the door and wait until I leave. We have never had any confrontation or even a conversation, they're just afraid of having to say hello! It's kind of funny and weird!

I just don't get it. Trust me, I'm not looking for a conversation and I don't have a reputation that people would be running away from. I've always wondered what they're afraid of? Do they think they're better than the other? Are they jealous of something as in keeping up with the Jones's?

Just curious if you do this or know someone who does and WHY? And like I said, I don't have any reputation whatsoever. I'm always courteous and friendly when given the chance and don't step over any boundaries. Just looking for a hello now and then, nothing more.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,382 times
I have one neighbor that I will speak with at length every so often but the rest are mostly just say "hi" and wave hello.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:00 PM

694 posts, read 1,202,868 times
Wow, I have always appreciated the great block I live on but now it's even more. When we moved in, my Dad was worried who would watch kids after school as we both work in the city and getting home by 7 is considered a normal workday, most of the times, it's later, so after school programs were out of question. Luckily, our next door neighbor retired early and has a car, plus, she was very flexible, so she provided care 1 hour in the morning to get them ready to school and then after school till we got home. Our across the street neighbors are like family-their son is either at our house or ours is at theirs, they always lend us their tools, and help with other small favors, such as when my hubby had to run and pick up the older one while the baby was sleeping, the wife of the family came over to watch the baby. And, when I was giving birth (that was our first year on the block, so we did not know anyone well yet), it was in a middle of a February snow storm and my husband was shoveling snow, the neighbor came out and he was like "Where are you going, everything is closed" when my husband said he was picking me up, the neighbor was like, where is she at work, no, the hospital, what's wrong with her, nothing wrong, she just had a baby, so the neighbor was like OMG, he quickly dressed, took out his snow plower and helped my hubby clean up the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island