Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM

59 posts, read 271,396 times

Advertisements

Which do you recommend to buy and live?
Planning to have kids in the near future.

It seems both not great but its decent and safe enough
to bring up children.

If you can recommend either copiague or Lindenhurst which we can buy house under 300K
with 3 bed with decent back yard, lower than 10K tax/yr,
closer to the city( we both commute to the city by LIRR) pls also advise.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Copaigue isnt a ghetto but I dont think it's nice. It's certainly not Hempstead but to me it's just meh. Lindenhurst is better. Copaigue is only closer to the city by one stop. I think about an hour train ride for both.

Personally you can get a house in Bellmore or Baldwin for under $300k. The section of Baldwin by the train and south is the nicer part. It'll be closer for the city. Bellmore has high rated schools. You need a TOH parking permit for Bellmore- it's 3 dollars. I dont know what the deal with Baldwin is.

Drive around Copaigue to get a feel, it's a better version of Amityville but not that much.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:20 PM

246 posts, read 470,741 times
Lindenhurst is a bit nicer than Copiague. Defeintely more tightly knit than Cop.

Houses south of Montauk you can get right now on the cheap.... But expect to throw $$ into it

Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM

67 posts, read 110,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Copaigue isnt a ghetto but I dont think it's nice. It's certainly not Hempstead but to me it's just meh. Lindenhurst is better. Copaigue is only closer to the city by one stop. I think about an hour train ride for both.

Personally you can get a house in Bellmore or Baldwin for under $300k. The section of Baldwin by the train and south is the nicer part. It'll be closer for the city. Bellmore has high rated schools. You need a TOH parking permit for Bellmore- it's 3 dollars. I dont know what the deal with Baldwin is.

Drive around Copaigue to get a feel, it's a better version of Amityville but not that much.
Guess whose moved to Baldwin?

Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 PM

67 posts, read 110,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautymimi View Post
It seems both not great but its decent and safe enough

Thank you!!
Very aspirational.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:21 PM

59 posts, read 271,396 times
Thank you for your comment.
It seems that Lindenhurst better than copiague.

I have checked Bellmore but many houses under 300K is too small or crappy need TLC$$$
or by the ocean with high risk of future Sandy and may be high Flood insurance.
We don't want to lose house...and pay extra $2000 for insurance.

Will check Boldwin thanks for your input.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:11 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic View Post
Guess whose moved to Baldwin?
No i dont live in Baldwin.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:12 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,859 times
Both are very similar- Lindenhurst is a little bit nicer-looking in my opinion.

They're both very blue-collar Italian-American towns; the part of Copiague near Sunrise Hwy has a lot of spanish-speakers. You should also note that Copiague's schools are much more diverse than Lindy's too.

At this point, I would just go by which house you like better.

If your looking at these towns then you may also like Farmingdale, Deer Park and Bay Shore. I agree that Baldwin is a good choice too but its more white-collar and more diverse then these towns, its a different type of area than these but hey, you may really like it!

Good luck!

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 08-15-2013 at 08:35 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Copiague is a decent area (my better half grew up there, but he said the schools weren't the greatest growing up.) Copiague has a big mix of Italian, Polish and Spanish speakers. To me, Lindenhurst is nicer, but you have to remember that some parts of Lindenhurst have village taxes, so that's usually an additional 800-1200 dollars a year (especially if it not listed in the realty listing). Anything below Montauk Highway in Lindenhurst and Copiague, you'd have to worry about flooding (the Venices in Lindenhurst got hit hard).

As mentioned above, Deer Park is a good area (especially in North Deer Park, which is almost Dix Hills area). If we found a nice house in Deer Park, we would've definitely went for it. Farmingdale is good as well for LIRR.

Last edited by okellies; 08-16-2013 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: Typo, meant to say year, not month

Old 08-16-2013, 10:16 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
Copiague is a decent area (my better half grew up there, but he said the schools weren't the greatest growing up.) Copiague has a big mix of Italian, Polish and Spanish speakers. To me, Lindenhurst is nicer, but you have to remember that some parts of Lindenhurst have village taxes, so that's usually an additional 800-1200 dollars a month (especially if it not listed in the realty listing). Anything below Montauk Highway in Lindenhurst and Copiague, you'd have to worry about flooding (the Venices in Lindenhurst got hit hard).

As mentioned above, Deer Park is a good area (especially in North Deer Park, which is almost Dix Hills area). If we found a nice house in Deer Park, we would've definitely went for it. Farmingdale is good as well for LIRR.
I think you mean a year, not a month lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island