Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:32 PM

119 posts, read 339,354 times

Advertisements

Hi Gail,

I've driven through there but it seemed slow and boring for me. I haven't researched the crime statistics yet although I will.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 04:43 PM

6 posts, read 6,539 times
I've had job offers in Chicago and Nashville. Considering all my options, but getting out of L.I. is the main thing.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:44 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisChrisFluffyKins View Post
I've had job offers in Chicago and Nashville. Considering all my options, but getting out of L.I. is the main thing.
Chicago is amazing. The only drawback is the weather- much colder & snowier than LI. But both the city & many of the suburbs are very very nice and of course much more affordable than LI. Don't underestimate Lake Michigan either- it's amazing having a huge lake in the middle of the city (doesn't look like a lake at all- more like the ocean actually).

Old 04-11-2014, 06:05 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Chicago is amazing. The only drawback is the weather- much colder & snowier than LI. But both the city & many of the suburbs are very very nice and of course much more affordable than LI. Don't underestimate Lake Michigan either- it's amazing having a huge lake in the middle of the city (doesn't look like a lake at all- more like the ocean actually).
Chicago is amazing! I almost moved there last year (long story).

But, yeah, the winters there are brutal. The lake is beautiful, though. If I could've done it all over again, I would've gone to Northwestern University.

Old 04-11-2014, 06:58 PM

239 posts, read 413,803 times
Hello,
I'm one of the gentler of posters.

Grew up in Brooklyn, and moved to Uniondale. We had all we wanted. My beloved LI.

But time passed and, not one to allow the time bypassing me, I moved to Albany, NY.1989.

Receiving a job op, I moved to
Raleigh. 2004.

It wasn't good. Southern folk didn't care for me.2004 - 2013.

I returned.

In New York and New Jersey, I'm considered nice, polite; they get me here.

I've recently returned to the NY/NJ area because my education and background, my whole being, is better suited here.

I read through this thread, and I am happy it was, for the most part, considerate.

In the end, I want to stay and live in an intelligent, well-rounded, politically-minded area.

The New York area has the best news, people can speak politics. We're well - informed. These things are important to me.

I sold my home, having now very little interest in things owning me.

Wanted to be honest.

Best wishes to the OP. Such a good thread, and I hope you find exactly what you're looking for.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:00 AM

283 posts, read 581,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWifeHappyLife77 View Post
I recently moved south and let me tell you....boy do I regret it!
Where did you move from / to ? How far south?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM

239 posts, read 413,803 times
Posted in the Raleigh thread, and said nothing over the top, but they closed the thread.

Too bad. We could have gotten to the bridge.

Maybe. But as long as we have moderators who are not objective, we cannot.

Thank you.

P.S. it's a non-issue, but still, there lies an offense, I don't know why.

Last edited by Sagafrika; 04-14-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 03:19 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I'm relocating to Maryland (Washington, DC area) at the end of the month. It's sort of a lateral move from Long Island, but in a few years, I'll move further south.
Born in the Bronx in 1951, I moved from eastern LI (where I grew up and was married) to Maryland for 12 years for a job promotion in 1995 in DC. Was in MD for 12 years then moved to suburban Tennessee when I retired in 2007. When I did retirement research for my town, I wanted to be somewhere where I could take classes with other retirees but not foo-foo clases. I also liked reading. I'm an online shopper for the most part so non-supermarket shopping opportunities was an irrelevant factor in a location decision. The decision to leave MD in retirement wasn't driven primarily by Cost of Living but that there were less things for me to do there in the daytime. When you retire you'll be trying to fill a 40 hour work week so available daytime activities that interest you are important.

In MD I had a one bedroom apartment. I now have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom (I was the first tenant in a new building) and I'm still paying less than I did in MD seven years ago. Electricity is about half. I take classes in a program for retirees that also offers trips. It costs $100 a year. You can take 5 classes a semester and there are 3 semesters. The comunity college gives us classrooms to use. I belong to a non-fiction book group and 2 camera clubs. I picked up a nature photography hobby after I moved. Gasoline is much cheaper here, too, plus there are plenty of free things to do. Tennessee never met a festival it didn't like. All of the state parks are free to enter. The Great Smoky Mountain National Park is also free. There are 4 distinct seasons but the summer season is longer, that is it gets hot earlier and stays hot into October.

I still have a sister and some friends on LI.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 6,539 times
Default Northwestern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Chicago is amazing! I almost moved there last year (long story).

But, yeah, the winters there are brutal. The lake is beautiful, though. If I could've done it all over again, I would've gone to Northwestern University.
Northwestern? Me too, if I could do it all over again.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,244 times
Just this past week I had an opportunity to move to San Jose, CA (Silicon Valley).

I thought Real Estate on LI was expensive, but WOW. I don't care how amazing the weather is there. The 6 fig offer wasn't even nearly enough to make me move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island