Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 12:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Surprised that taxes on a cash basis would be that much cheaper in Hicksville - enough to make you move - but if that is the case then maybe it's the best option.

When living in a large metropolis, you only have 3 options - live in the city (you will likely rent which is not always a bad thing), the suburbs, or the exburbs. Those are the only 3 choices and each one carries its own advantages and pitfalls.

If you are not satisfied with suburban life, you can always consider moving to NYC. Advantage of course is that it will be easier for both you and your spouse to both pursue careers with more employers to choose from plus easier commute to to work. Anyway your first kid is far from school age. Disadvantage is that you probably will rent and settle for smaller dwellings.
On LI real estate taxes can vary wildly from place to place even if they are almost next door, like Levittown is to Hicksville. I agree Hicksville has much more reasonable real estate taxes than Levittown. Another place nearby where she could find better deals on real estate taxes is East Meadow. It depends a lot on how much commercial property is in the area to be taxed and how big/free spending the school district your house is zoned for is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
I still think it's extremely hard for someone with 3 kids to try to save enough money for a basic house right now on that income. We spend 33k on childcare, 35k on piti for a basic 4 bedroom house in suffolk we bought post bubble, add another 10k or so for car insurance, gas, etc, another 12k on utilities, add food/clothes/medical, 100k net goes pretty easily without much extras. If you want to have savings, vacation, retirement saving, 529s, add some more. In all reality, the very basic cost of living is extremely high.

You're paying $7,400 more off the bat for your home than the OP was. The other poster mentions children, starting in around 2000. Chances are they aren't paying childcare for 3.

It isn't extremely hard given their net salaries. They will have to spend wisely, but it can be done.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post

In about 25 years after I retire I want to go to St. Augustine, Florida. Beautiful and pretty affordable. Just hope it isn't ruined like S. Florida is now (or how Orlando is currently being) by the time I retire.
It's beautiful, but affordability depends upon what you buy and where you buy in St Augustine. My family lives there on the beach, which is more expensive than living on the mainland. I like both, but if I should ever retire down there, I would prefer being able to walk to the beach as opposed to driving. There are a lot of restrictions concerning building on the beach, and in the 17 years my parents have lived there, I have seen 0 negative change. They run a tight ship where development is concerned.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:29 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,715,051 times
The problem with the Levitt homes is that there is little space for growth as your family keeps getting bigger. When I looked at them, not having a basement was a dealbreaker and I believe they have electric heat. The water tank and furnace in a closet on the ground floor takes up more living space. If you add that dormer, you know your taxes are going to go up. I wasn't too fond that I think, if I remember correctly, the bathroom is right off the kitchen. You can get more space for the same taxes in other neighboring areas like East Meadow. Levitt is fine for a couple or a couple with one child.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,148,598 times
I know quite a few people who were raised in a Levitt home whose family numbered 4 to 5 people.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:48 PM

145 posts, read 227,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The problem with the Levitt homes is that there is little space for growth as your family keeps getting bigger. When I looked at them, not having a basement was a dealbreaker and I believe they have electric heat. The water tank and furnace in a closet on the ground floor takes up more living space. If you add that dormer, you know your taxes are going to go up. I wasn't too fond that I think, if I remember correctly, the bathroom is right off the kitchen. You can get more space for the same taxes in other neighboring areas like East Meadow. Levitt is fine for a couple or a couple with one child.

Right... if we were to stay (which sounds more likely at this point), we would probably look into Hicksville or East Meadow. I've found that Franklin Square as similar affordability, maybe not quite as much though. I don't know a whole lot about that town other than driving through it while commuting. More congested, but it's nice being right by the Cross island pkwy.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,111,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I will send you a DM about former LI'ers on CD to contact. Their story is hair raising about NEPA.
Ooo, now you have us ALL curious. Do tell.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,890,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
Right... if we were to stay (which sounds more likely at this point), we would probably look into Hicksville or East Meadow. I've found that Franklin Square as similar affordability, maybe not quite as much though. I don't know a whole lot about that town other than driving through it while commuting. More congested, but it's nice being right by the Cross island pkwy.
I don't know how much your taxes are now - Hicksville is lower though not by much - maybe 3k/yr. What you get in return are poorer schools too. Housing stock is nearly the same... I would not make that move.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:51 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlover84 View Post
I lived in the city when I was little, and then again after I graduated college. In some ways I do miss it, but I don't think it's a place I'd raise a kid. My cousins were kids/teens in the 70s and 80s in Queens, and moved to the burbs when they had kids since they said it isn't the same as when they grew up. I don't have a lot to compare to, since I was little when we moved and only remember a little, so I just take their word. I actually prefer Suffolk over Nassau county, but considering how often I go into the city (with my husband working there), it's preferable to live here (I know, I know, I say Suffolk is far away, and have considered moving to PA, lol. I know it doesn't make a lot of sense, but we do have reasons why).
If you are dead set on leaving Levitt ASAP (assuming you get a good price for your house), might still be worth considering renting in NYC for a few years before jumping into another suburban home and paying suburban taxes right away. Anyway your first kid is at least 5 years away from starting school and you're still unsure when you will have another child. Raising 1 young infant/toddler in the city is not problematic and opulent space not an immediate necessity especially in Astoria, Jackson Hts., Forest Hills, Elmhurst, LIC, Brooklyn etc. where there are lots of young families moving into.

If you still feel the pull to the suburbs in a few years time then that's when you can jump back. At least you can probably find a higher paying job, grow a career and save for a better home in LI or some other suburb. Unless you need to be in LI to be closer to relatives to assist in childcare.

Just my thought.

Old 03-11-2014, 04:24 PM

145 posts, read 227,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
If you are dead set on leaving Levitt ASAP (assuming you get a good price for your house), might still be worth considering renting in NYC for a few years before jumping into another suburban home and paying suburban taxes right away. Anyway your first kid is at least 5 years away from starting school and you're still unsure when you will have another child. Raising 1 young infant/toddler in the city is not problematic and opulent space not an immediate necessity especially in Astoria, Jackson Hts., Forest Hills, Elmhurst, LIC, Brooklyn etc. where there are lots of young families moving into.

If you still feel the pull to the suburbs in a few years time then that's when you can jump back. At least you can probably find a higher paying job, grow a career and save for a better home in LI or some other suburb. Unless you need to be in LI to be closer to relatives to assist in childcare.

Just my thought.
Moving to the city isn't an option. My husband hates it and said he'd never move there, even if it's temporary. We'll figure it out in time. There's no rush. Just something on the back of our minds. For now I need to focus on giving birth and raising an infant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island