Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 06:15 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Ethnic diversity in my opinion, is a very beautiful thing. It allows people to get to know one another, and share cultural aspects. It also greatly reduces the chances of developing prejudice, racism, and phobias depending of the level of exposure a person is receiving when venturing to different nations to experience a variety of unique cultures.

How can this happen in Massapequa when the town is almost 100% one race

Source: Dreams of Color - Kristen Ferrari's Blog - Massapequa, NY Patch
From one bleeding heart misinformed LI'er. It's no surprise that some LI towns are mostly white. Is that news to you? Nothing is stopping minorities from moving into these neighborhoods. Of course, race and ethnicity are not exactly the same, so it's a moot point. I don't need to explain it to you. You can figure it out yourself.
I'm not sure if you're aware of the racism issues facing Midlothian/Chesterfield VA. It's on a whole 'nother level. Racism and the KKK seems to be a huge problem there...You won't find anything even remotely close to this anywhere on LI...(read on)

--2013-- KKK white supremacists Racist attacks plague Black newspaper
What appears to be anti-Black, racist violence reared its head in Virginia in mid-March. This, despite the fact—or maybe because of the fact—that President Barack Obama comfortably won 150,000 more votes there than his Republican opponent
*The Creekwood neighborhood home and even the car of the Rev. Dr. O. Deshea Cuthrell in Chesterfield, Va., was hit with an intentionally set fire bomb and racist graffiti in the pre-dawn hours March 21. Police are investigating the suspicious incident.

“The newsroom blast is the latest in destruction to Free Press property since the newspaper opened in downtown (Richmond) 21 years ago.”
In the past, and with increased intensity during last year’s presidential campaign, the paper’s distribution boxes have been flattened by big-tire vehicles; copies of the paper have been burned in their distribution boxes; racist messages have been scrawled on the front of the distribution boxes; the boxes themselves have been stolen and the papers were thrown into trash containers; and distribution boxes have even been fenced to block reader access to copies of the newspaper.

Racist attacks plague Black newspaper

-
2013 Obama’s second term stirs up KKK in Virginia
Howard University student Jenelle Coy has painful memories of growing up in Newport News, Va. Her neighborhood was predominantly White. The sign in the window of a beauty salon across her home read: “Whites only.”
“Mind you, this was in the ‘90s\

Particularly troubling, Coy said, were news reports that the Ku Klux Klan was using the president’s second Inauguration as a recruiting tool for new members.

Residents of Mechanicsville, Va., are reporting a surge of fliers from the “Loyal White Knights” of the KKK of Virginia in the wake of President Obama’s re-election.

“We of the Knights of the Southern Cross soldiers of the Ku Klux Klan are un-apologetically committed to the interest and values of the White race!” fliers dropped in residents’ driveways read. “We are determined to maintain and enrich our cultural and racial heritage! We are growing fast and strong because we have NEVER nor will we ever compromise the truth!”

Cheney Bostic, a senior public relations major from the Richmond area, vividly recalls instances of racism in her hometown.

“Where I’m from, which is Midlothian, VA, you would come to school on certain days and see confederate flags flying from trucks,” she said. “You knew when the Klan was having meetings at the public library. You just knew where to go and where not to go on certain days.”*
Bostic said she has no problem with what KKK wants to do. “But what they won’t do is try an up-rising to take over my community,” she boldly asserted.

The Center reported eight hate incidents with possible Klan ties in Virginia in 2012.

One of the incidents involved a Manassas White supremacist charged with illegally obtaining a fully automatic AK-47 after suggesting President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder should be removed from office by violent means.

Obama

-
Seems like you live in a lovely area there mike. I wish you and yours good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 07:12 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,159,488 times
Can you point to any mainstream reporting of these incidents?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 AM

Never mind Peques, I did.
Chesterfield man charged with arson, graffiti of own home - NBC12.com - Richmond, VA News

Next.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:18 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post

This isn't related to any of the incidents in Pequa's post..are you implying that all the racial incidents are self inflicted?

Old 06-25-2013, 07:23 AM

Read it again.

FinalCall
The Creekwood neighborhood home and even the car of the Rev. Dr. O. Deshea Cuthrell in Chesterfield, Va., was hit with an intentionally set fire bomb and racist graffiti in the pre-dawn hours March 21. Police are investigating the suspicious incident.

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT)
Police arrested O. Deshea Cuthrell, 41, and charged him with two counts of felony arson. Cuthrell claimed his home in the 7800 block of Little Ridge Court, off Newby's Bridge Road, was vandalized on March 15. Racial slurs were painted on the exterior and his home and car were badly burned. The FBI was brought in to investigate the possible hate crimes.

What I'm implying is that Pequa did not check the reliability of his sources.

Next.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 06-25-2013 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,041,500 times
I don't get it... I mean really - "Nothing is stopping minorities from moving into these neighborhoods". How can anyone say that with a straight face? Price point has always been the invisible gates protecting certain neighborhoods. So it's OK to add diversity as long as they can afford to cash out grandpa on his run down 40 year old ranch.

The loophole here will be rentals. Investors moving in to become landlords or property managers. Big business now and an under the radar affordable housing program. Now we're talking true diversity... and some neighborhoods will see a serious spike of it in the near future. So in some regards we'll get to see what happens when the rubber hits the road and how much those LIers really want diversity... or they just like selective diversity. We all know it's the latter, but we'll pretend it's the former - because, you know... LI is steeped in a history of acceptance, tolerance, and equality.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 AM

13,513 posts, read 17,061,262 times
Quote:
Read it again.

FinalCall
The Creekwood neighborhood home and even the car of the Rev. Dr. O. Deshea Cuthrell in Chesterfield, Va., was hit with an intentionally set fire bomb and racist graffiti in the pre-dawn hours March 21. Police are investigating the suspicious incident.

CHESTERFIELD, VA (WWBT)
Police arrested O. Deshea Cuthrell, 41, and charged him with two counts of felony arson. Cuthrell claimed his home in the 7800 block of Little Ridge Court, off Newby's Bridge Road, was vandalized on March 15. Racial slurs were painted on the exterior and his home and car were badly burned. The FBI was brought in to investigate the possible hate crimes.

What I'm implying is that Pequa did not check the reliability of his sources.

Next.

I see it now, I stand corrected.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,881,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I don't get it... I mean really - "Nothing is stopping minorities from moving into these neighborhoods". How can anyone say that with a straight face? Price point has always been the invisible gates protecting certain neighborhoods. So it's OK to add diversity as long as they can afford to cash out grandpa on his run down 40 year old ranch.

The loophole here will be rentals. Investors moving in to become landlords or property managers. Big business now and an under the radar affordable housing program. Now we're talking true diversity... and some neighborhoods will see a serious spike of it in the near future. So in some regards we'll get to see what happens when the rubber hits the road and how much those LIers really want diversity... or they just like selective diversity. We all know it's the latter, but we'll pretend it's the former - because, you know... LI is steeped in a history of acceptance, tolerance, and equality.
In fairness, minorities are moving all over Nassau. There's no way to stop it. The old demographics are dying out or moving away.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:11 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,754,535 times
Quote:
Perhaps that one incident turned out to be false, but everything else referenced is your reality. "NO BLACKS" signs on stores dating back to as early as the 90s. Klan meetings in the library complete with confederate flags on pickup trucks. Klan chapters dropping recruitment letters in peoples' driveways after Obama won re-election... You think that all just disappeared and now it's a diverse utopia as bigmike likes to think?? When you take the plunge into areas with a heavy KKK presence such as Chesterfield, VA, you have to deal with the nutjobs who still think the Civil War is going on and the racial tensions that come with that. enjoy

Old 06-25-2013, 08:15 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,960,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
From one bleeding heart misinformed LI'er. It's no surprise that some LI towns are mostly white. Is that news to you? Nothing is stopping minorities from moving into these neighborhoods. Of course, race and ethnicity are not exactly the same, so it's a moot point. I don't need to explain it to you. You can figure it out yourself.
I'm not sure if you're aware of the racism issues facing Midlothian/Chesterfield VA. It's on a whole 'nother level. Racism and the KKK seems to be a huge problem there...You won't find anything even remotely close to this anywhere on LI...(read on)

--2013-- KKK white supremacists Racist attacks plague Black newspaper
What appears to be anti-Black, racist violence reared its head in Virginia in mid-March. This, despite the fact—or maybe because of the fact—that President Barack Obama comfortably won 150,000 more votes there than his Republican opponent
*The Creekwood neighborhood home and even the car of the Rev. Dr. O. Deshea Cuthrell in Chesterfield, Va., was hit with an intentionally set fire bomb and racist graffiti in the pre-dawn hours March 21. Police are investigating the suspicious incident.

“The newsroom blast is the latest in destruction to Free Press property since the newspaper opened in downtown (Richmond) 21 years ago.”
In the past, and with increased intensity during last year’s presidential campaign, the paper’s distribution boxes have been flattened by big-tire vehicles; copies of the paper have been burned in their distribution boxes; racist messages have been scrawled on the front of the distribution boxes; the boxes themselves have been stolen and the papers were thrown into trash containers; and distribution boxes have even been fenced to block reader access to copies of the newspaper.

Racist attacks plague Black newspaper

-
2013 Obama’s second term stirs up KKK in Virginia
Howard University student Jenelle Coy has painful memories of growing up in Newport News, Va. Her neighborhood was predominantly White. The sign in the window of a beauty salon across her home read: “Whites only.”
“Mind you, this was in the ‘90s\

Particularly troubling, Coy said, were news reports that the Ku Klux Klan was using the president’s second Inauguration as a recruiting tool for new members.

Residents of Mechanicsville, Va., are reporting a surge of fliers from the “Loyal White Knights” of the KKK of Virginia in the wake of President Obama’s re-election.

“We of the Knights of the Southern Cross soldiers of the Ku Klux Klan are un-apologetically committed to the interest and values of the White race!” fliers dropped in residents’ driveways read. “We are determined to maintain and enrich our cultural and racial heritage! We are growing fast and strong because we have NEVER nor will we ever compromise the truth!”

Cheney Bostic, a senior public relations major from the Richmond area, vividly recalls instances of racism in her hometown.

“Where I’m from, which is Midlothian, VA, you would come to school on certain days and see confederate flags flying from trucks,” she said. “You knew when the Klan was having meetings at the public library. You just knew where to go and where not to go on certain days.”*
Bostic said she has no problem with what KKK wants to do. “But what they won’t do is try an up-rising to take over my community,” she boldly asserted.

The Center reported eight hate incidents with possible Klan ties in Virginia in 2012.

One of the incidents involved a Manassas White supremacist charged with illegally obtaining a fully automatic AK-47 after suggesting President Barack Obama and Attorney General Eric Holder should be removed from office by violent means.

Obama

-
Seems like you live in a lovely area there mike. I wish you and yours good luck.
You're quoting Cheney Bostic LMAO....anything to get her name in the papers who are you going to quote next Al Sharpton

See how misinformed you are.....The thing is I lived on L.I. almost 40 years and 5 years here, so I EXPERIENCED it myself....not behind a computer! KKK lmao.... I had around 8 members of the so called 'KKK' drinking at my house on Saturday And yes my BLACK wife was partaken in the drinking and eating ( she didn't play poker) They didn't lynch her,rape or even killed her. It was fun man, a really good time especially when you win some money off those fools!

A lot of towns don't like change and remain one color like you have on L.I. so some might express their opinions vocally. That dies down eventually and with time things change....except on L.I. When your schools are 98% white and you talk about diversity there is crazy! Never changes

Let me also inform you not everyone like Obama So if you want to sensationalize things in the media...just say the 'KKK" isn't going to endorse the president or some guy that they somehow link to 'KKK" bought a gun and 'suggested' the president be removed from office. This is really any different then Tea-baggers,1% ers. NOI's, WAR's,WBC,Aryan Nation,etc... did you that there are over 10,000 websites that the government deemed anti-american (Terrorist,hate groups) and there from every state

Since you think you know my town better than someone that lives here Why don't you come down and spend some time and point out all the racial wars and Klansmen that are causing all this trouble millions dollars say you won't find a one

How foolish are you Why would anyone with a half black family move to a place that was over run by the KKK or any other radical racial terror group ? Hopefully I would be a little smarter than that and I thought you were too, but I guess I overestimated your intelligent P'man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island