Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:42 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,663,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinbikegirl23 View Post
I would also like to hear why some people are saying to avoid locust valley school district. I've posted elsewhere and really struggling to make a decision on school districts and would like to hear more on LV if anyone has some insights.
I think only a single post used the word "avoid", ignore that word.

LV is a perfectly good district. Your children will be well educated. It not being a top LI district does not really signify much as the vast majority of SDs in Nassau are quite good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
I think only a single post used the word "avoid", ignore that word.

LV is a perfectly good district. Your children will be well educated. It not being a top LI district does not really signify much as the vast majority of SDs in Nassau are quite good.
I agree that "avoid" is way too strong for Locust Valley. It's a perfectly fine and safe place to go to school, even if it's not Jericho or Syosset. The big irritation for Locust Valley taxpayers is that they are charged absolute top dollar per student per year in a district that can't seem to make the top ranks. In Jericho and Syosset, at least you get what you pay for.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
I agree that "avoid" is way too strong for Locust Valley. It's a perfectly fine and safe place to go to school, even if it's not Jericho or Syosset. The big irritation for Locust Valley taxpayers is that they are charged absolute top dollar per student per year in a district that can't seem to make the top ranks. In Jericho and Syosset, at least you get what you pay for.
There is not and never has been a connection between property taxes and relative quality of schools here on Long Island. Even the schools don't claim that.
Locust Valley (and North Shore) is about where it always has been in the rankings - another poster noted LV had a big (artificial) push in enrolling into programs that resulted in higher rankings in a couple of surveys...but no meaningful improvements in terms of educational quality and actual student achievement. I had heard the same. And the newest stats reflect that.
Funny enough, Jericho and Syosset parents frequently bemoan the hiring of academic tutors and outside college counselors necessary to supplement what their schools do. More and more I suspect parent energy and parent involvement at home results in the measureable differences in particular objective student achievement (National Merit, etc.). That may be the Syo and Jer difference - not taxes, not teachers, not books, not pencils, not calculators, not buildings, not shoes, etc - - those items are essentially the same.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 AM

196 posts, read 418,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Funny enough, Jericho and Syosset parents frequently bemoan the hiring of academic tutors and outside college counselors necessary to supplement what their schools do. More and more I suspect parent energy and parent involvement at home results in the measureable differences in particular objective student achievement (National Merit, etc.). That may be the Syo and Jer difference - not taxes, not teachers, not books, not pencils, not calculators, not buildings, not shoes, etc - - those items are essentially the same.
I agree. I think if you are moving into Jericho/Syosset the schools are probably why you are, so parents go the extra mile to make sure their kids are keeping up the pace of education and put a lot of extra effort/money into it. I would also take a guess that these rich areas have a higher percentage of single earners, so one parent can focus entirely on their kids.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:30 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Quote:
There is not and never has been a connection between property taxes and relative quality of schools here on Long Island. Even the schools don't claim that.
Sorry, you're not getting it. I'm not talking about individual home assessments.

Locust Valley is among the top public school districts in the nation in spending per pupil and yet it delivers less than stellar results. It's about value. If you look at the district's trends, its enrollment is declining and yet it can't seem to control spending, with the latest budget showing an increase well above inflation.

Locust Valley spends just under $38K per student per year, versus Jericho at just over $38K and Syosset at around $32K. By comparison, the outstanding Friends Academy private school is able to deliver a top quality education at $29K a year tuition for grades 9-12 and substantially less for lower grades.

I will say this: you're right that, in Locust Valley's case, there is not a connection between property taxes (spent per pupil per year) and quality. In the case of Jericho and Syosset, however, the value is there.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:20 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Sorry, you're not getting it. I'm not talking about individual home assessments.

Locust Valley is among the top public school districts in the nation in spending per pupil and yet it delivers less than stellar results. It's about value. If you look at the district's trends, its enrollment is declining and yet it can't seem to control spending, with the latest budget showing an increase well above inflation.

Locust Valley spends just under $38K per student per year, versus Jericho at just over $38K and Syosset at around $32K. By comparison, the outstanding Friends Academy private school is able to deliver a top quality education at $29K a year tuition for grades 9-12 and substantially less for lower grades.

I will say this: you're right that, in Locust Valley's case, there is not a connection between property taxes (spent per pupil per year) and quality. In the case of Jericho and Syosset, however, the value is there.
Got it. Per pupil costs is the issue you are referencing, not property taxes. What does the lowest performing of the north shore schools, Oyster Bay, spend per pupil? Just curious.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 PM

31 posts, read 153,264 times
Quote:
Got it. Per pupil costs is the issue you are referencing, not property taxes. What does the lowest performing of the north shore schools, Oyster Bay, spend per pupil? Just curious.
Whyd you now about this costs? It doesnt matter if there spending money on it or not but how can you even tell?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 AM

65 posts, read 149,798 times
I visited the LV Intermediate School (Elementary) this week. The tour was very pleasant and welcoming. But, based on my conversations, it was nothing extraordinary. Definitely nothing deserving of such high school taxes.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 AM

8 posts, read 10,788 times
I am considering this school district for my son (looking at homes in Bayville). I would love to hear additional input from anyone who is familiar with Bayville elementary and/or anyone with direct experience dealing with the Locust Valley School district.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:41 PM

483 posts, read 670,386 times
This thread is hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island