Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

200 posts, read 380,249 times

Advertisements

"Crimes against children seem more prevalent now"

I don't believe that's the case. I think crimes against kids have been going on all along, they just were not as publicized as they are now. It was going on when we were running around outside all day, with our parents just expecting us to be home for dinner, and way before we were ever born.

An excerpt form a paper that discusses the evolution of child welfare and protection in America.

"In 1735, an orphan girl in Georgia was rescued from a home where she was sexually abused."

The full paper: http://www.sagepub.com/upm-data/35363_Chapter1.pdf

That being said, I agree with what Ohbeehave said that children are much too sexualized now. Maybe MTV had something to do with that.

Last edited by Cosmosandmind; 01-03-2013 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,329,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's too much sexualization of young people on TV, in print ads, etc. I was appalled when some of the girls in my youngest child's 5th grade class were dating -- not just talking about it. Hand holding, kissing, too busy trying to be mature as opposed to being 10 years-old. Their mothers thought is was cute. Cute? These are the same young girls whose mothers let them have insanely short skirts (the minis I wore 25-30 years ago look Victorian in comparison -- and I liked them short) and hoochie clothing.

Last week I nearly keeled over when my now 13 year-old told me that one 8th grade couple were bragging about having sex. The girl said they did it for her 13th birthday. Whether they really did or didn't we'll never know, but I don't recall anyone in the JHS/middle school set bragging about having sex 35 years ago.

There's no time for dolls (Baby or Barbie) when the message being sent is grow up and be sexy.
And I thought it was "too much" when I witnessed a 13 year old receiving Victoria's Secret lingerie (which brand she specifically asked for) on Christmas ...

Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times
I went home for lunch everyday during elementary school. I walked home by myself and walked back to school by myself for the afternoon session.

We also brought in "milk" money every week to be collected. During the mid-morning, 2 monitors would go to the lunchroom to bring back the small containers of whole milk for everyone's snack. The teacher would hand out either a graham cracker or one log pretzel to everyone.

I was also a latchkey kid, as were my siblings. No after school programs or day care existed. If I had a problem, I was supposed to go to Mrs. So and So's house and tell her. Walk there, not telephone her. Telephone calls were expensive as there were no "unlimited" plans. Today, my parents would have been arested. Later on, I think there were some After School Specials about latchkey kids.

Wow, I feel old, but at least not so old that telephones did exist when I was a kid.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM

19,260 posts, read 17,134,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I went home for lunch everyday during elementary school. I walked home by myself and walked back to school by myself for the afternoon session.

We also brought in "milk" money every week to be collected. During the mid-morning, 2 monitors would go to the lunchroom to bring back the small containers of whole milk for everyone's snack. The teacher would hand out either a graham cracker or one log pretzel to everyone.

I was also a latchkey kid, as were my siblings. No after school programs or day care existed. If I had a problem, I was supposed to go to Mrs. So and So's house and tell her. Walk there, not telephone her. Telephone calls were expensive as there were no "unlimited" plans. Today, my parents would have been arested. Later on, I think there were some After School Specials about latchkey kids.

Wow, I feel old, but at least not so old that telephones did exist when I was a kid.
If your old then your not alone. I also would walk home for lunch as well as to/from school everyday. Today the horror of whole milk and a graham cracker what about those with weight issues or gluton alergies..

Todays parents would be horrified....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island