Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support pooling commercial property school taxes and school district consolidation?
I support pooling commercial taxes as well as school district consolidation 6 27.27%
I support pooling commercial taxes but NOT school district consolidation 2 9.09%
I DON'T support pooling commercial taxes. 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 AM

449 posts, read 1,133,487 times

Advertisements

I was looking up info about SDs on LI and it seems as a less-shocking alternative to school district consolidation (which I do support). According to an article, Homewoners in Roosevelt, Herricks, and Mount Sinai pay 90% of the district's tax levy, while in Uniondale (thanks to the Roosevelt Field Mall, the Colosseum, etc) homeowners only pay 29%. I have a feeling the same disparity exists between Central Islip and Hauppaugue. Hauppaugue is said to have some of LI's lowest school taxes (probably because of the industrial park) meanwhile Central Islip supposedly has LI's highest school taxes (very ironic-it's also the 3rd-lowest performing school district). Central Islip also has a huge amount of special needs students: exactly 1 in 4 students does not speak English, more than 2 out of every 3 students qualifies for free or reduced price lunch. In Haupaugge, those numbers are 1 in 100 and 1 in 13, respectively. Central Islip clearly needs more money, yet Hauppauge gets all the money from the park. I think commercial taxes should be pooled so high-need, low-wealth districts can get the funds they need. Do you think we should have a system like the twin cities?

My source, and an interesting read: http://www.longislandindex.org/filea...alAnalysis.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 AM

886 posts, read 2,649,085 times
Why would anyone in Hauppauge want to share commercial tax revenue with a district (C.I.) who's Board of Education irresponsibly gave the teaching staff an average of 3.5% salary increase every year through 2015?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:44 AM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,943 times
The schools have enough money.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Why would anyone in Hauppauge want to share commercial tax revenue with a district (C.I.) who's Board of Education irresponsibly gave the teaching staff an average of 3.5% salary increase every year through 2015?
Agree - you can't just hand over money to another school district without also taking over the accountability.

No one forces people to live where they do. Do some research before you buy a home and that includes the tax base.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Agree - you can't just hand over money to another school district without also taking over the accountability.

No one forces people to live where they do. Do some research before you buy a home and that includes the tax base.
Seriously? Seriously?? A LOT of things could force people to move somewhere that might not be ideal. Racism, affordability, etc.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:51 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,780 times
Why would you support pooling commercial bases? What benefit does that provide to the districts with lots of commercial RE? None. Would you expect NYC to share their commercial base with LI? It's preposterous, but at the same time already being done at the state level. Poorer districts get more state aid and a bigger share of lottery money.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Why would you support pooling commercial bases? What benefit does that provide to the districts with lots of commercial RE? None. Would you expect NYC to share their commercial base with LI? It's preposterous, but at the same time already being done at the state level. Poorer districts get more state aid and a bigger share of lottery money.
The districts like Hauppaugue don't NEED all the extra money from the commercial RE. Look at the stats in that paper. High-wealth and middle-wealth districts perform similarly, but much higher than low-wealth. State aid may help somewhat, but it's clearly not helping the taxpayers.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,750,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
The districts like Hauppaugue don't NEED all the extra money from the commercial RE. Look at the stats in that paper. High-wealth and middle-wealth districts perform similarly, but much higher than low-wealth. State aid may help somewhat, but it's clearly not helping the taxpayers.
Do a little research on lottery and state aid distribution. Poor districts received 5 to 10x more aid than wealthy districts. This translates to thousands of dollars in reduced taxes for residents. How is that not helping the taxpayers? If a poor district has high taxes, either they don't have enough commercial RE or you can blame the school board and union for wasteful spending.

Bottom line is if a district has commercial property within it, it's not right to steal from that district to give to any other district simply because you think they don't NEED it.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Do a little research on lottery and state aid distribution. Poor districts received 5 to 10x more aid than wealthy districts. This translates to thousands of dollars in reduced taxes for residents. How is that not helping the taxpayers? If a poor district has high taxes, either they don't have enough commercial RE or you can blame the school board and union for wasteful spending.

Bottom line is if a district has commercial property within it, it's not right to steal from that district to give to any other district simply because you think they don't NEED it.
Uh, yes it is. I don't just think districts with wealthy residents and a lot of commercial RE don't need as much as money as low-wealth, not-a-lot-of-commercial-RE districts. It's a FACT.

Also, you just said exactly what I'm saying. Poor SD's with high taxes often don't have enough commercial RE.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM

Oh and here's a thought: if a high-need districts get a little extra money from pooled commercial taxes, wouldn't it need less state-aid? So then the state would have money saved that could go to better use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island