Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support pooling commercial property school taxes and school district consolidation?
I support pooling commercial taxes as well as school district consolidation 6 27.27%
I support pooling commercial taxes but NOT school district consolidation 2 9.09%
I DON'T support pooling commercial taxes. 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:22 PM

194 posts, read 446,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Uh, yes it is. I don't just think districts with wealthy residents and a lot of commercial RE don't need as much as money as low-wealth, not-a-lot-of-commercial-RE districts. It's a FACT.

Also, you just said exactly what I'm saying. Poor SD's with high taxes often don't have enough commercial RE.
With all due respect, Razor, when you graduate from high school, buy your own home, and have to pay taxes from your hard earned salary, please let us know if you feel the same way you do now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM

449 posts, read 1,136,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
With all due respect, Razor, when you graduate from high school, buy your own home, and have to pay taxes from your hard earned salary, please let us know if you feel the same way you do now.
You guys seem to act like what I'm talking about is some sort of extreme, out-of-this-world idea. It is not. Minnesota did it. Vermont did it to an even more extreme (the whole state has the same property tax).

Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM

886 posts, read 2,655,827 times
Quote:
You guys seem to act like what I'm talking about is some sort of extreme, out-of-this-world idea. It is not. Minnesota did it. Vermont did it to an even more extreme (the whole state has the same property tax).
Oh please. Minnesotans elected Al Franken and Jesse "The Body" Ventura to office and Vermont still has a law on the books where women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:28 PM

449 posts, read 1,136,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Oh please. Minnesotans elected Al Franken and Jesse "The Body" Ventura to office and Vermont still has a law on the books where women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.
Many states have outdated laws and elected actor-politicians. The whole country elected Reagan. CA has Schwartzeneger. as for laws, did you know the penalty in NY for jumping off a building is death?

Old 12-31-2012, 04:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,840,812 times
Quote:
WRONG!

The entire state of VT does NOT have the same property tax. How would I know this? I OWN a house there and pay both property AND school taxes. There is an intense scheme in place which TAKES money from gold districts and redistributes it to receiver districts -- look into ACT 60. There's also income sensitivity, homestead credits, etc. -- too much to go into detail on at this time -- which partly fall under ACT 68.

In essence -- the state equalizes the per student spending on paper. It then has a series of calculations which include per pupil spending and assessed property values. This is where residents in ski towns get hurt. The property values are driven up in ski towns because of the ski homes, condos, etc. The year round resident is seeing a tax rate which will be weighted over 100% because of the higher assessed values of the vacation homes.

Think about it -- a the businesses (mountain, stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.) in a ski town, from a commercial standpoint, should function like an industrial park in Hauppauge -- adding to the school district's tax base and reducing the tax burden on the residents. Instead it is the opposite -- the money is siphoned away into a general pot to be redistributed -- Robin Hood style -- to poorer areas. Meanwhile, the residents in the ski town (Gold district) have a higher tax rate than the poor (receiver) one. Once you factor in the income sensitivity, the poor district, dollar for dollar, is getting far more. Some dolt will say, "Why don't the residents just move if taxes are too much in a gold district?" It isn't that simple. Towns aren't close to one another, winter weather makes commutes that much more difficult, lower salaries make buying gas that much more costly. But I digress.

Actual tax rates vary widely. Killington residents wanted to secede from Vermont because of their tax rate which in 2013 is $1.5094 Look at it compared to Richford (just outside of Bennington, a short drive to Mt Snow) which is $0.9884.

The last thing NYS needs is an ACT 60. You think we're paying a lot now?

Old 12-31-2012, 05:30 PM

162 posts, read 384,767 times
the same people that want commercial tax money going to their schools are the same people that dont want those commercial companies in their backyard

Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 PM

19,336 posts, read 17,275,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
And they have had far less complaints or problems than NY does with her elected officials...

Old 12-31-2012, 06:24 PM

886 posts, read 2,655,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And they have had far less complaints or problems than NY does with her elected officials...
Touche

Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 AM

192 posts, read 299,363 times
School district consolidation would make sense, because does every hamlet really need a series of schools? They could buy buy certain things in bulk if they consolidated, which would save a lot of money. Not a whole county district, but like a Plainview-Syosset-Bethpage, etc district.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:32 AM

22,756 posts, read 37,034,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
WRONG!

The entire state of VT does NOT have the same property tax. How would I know this? I OWN a house there and pay both property AND school taxes. There is an intense scheme in place which TAKES money from gold districts and redistributes it to receiver districts -- look into ACT 60. There's also income sensitivity, homestead credits, etc. -- too much to go into detail on at this time -- which partly fall under ACT 68.

In essence -- the state equalizes the per student spending on paper. It then has a series of calculations which include per pupil spending and assessed property values. This is where residents in ski towns get hurt. The property values are driven up in ski towns because of the ski homes, condos, etc. The year round resident is seeing a tax rate which will be weighted over 100% because of the higher assessed values of the vacation homes.

Think about it -- a the businesses (mountain, stores, restaurants, hotels, etc.) in a ski town, from a commercial standpoint, should function like an industrial park in Hauppauge -- adding to the school district's tax base and reducing the tax burden on the residents. Instead it is the opposite -- the money is siphoned away into a general pot to be redistributed -- Robin Hood style -- to poorer areas. Meanwhile, the residents in the ski town (Gold district) have a higher tax rate than the poor (receiver) one. Once you factor in the income sensitivity, the poor district, dollar for dollar, is getting far more. Some dolt will say, "Why don't the residents just move if taxes are too much in a gold district?" It isn't that simple. Towns aren't close to one another, winter weather makes commutes that much more difficult, lower salaries make buying gas that much more costly. But I digress.

Actual tax rates vary widely. Killington residents wanted to secede from Vermont because of their tax rate which in 2013 is $1.5094 Look at it compared to Richford (just outside of Bennington, a short drive to Mt Snow) which is $0.9884.

The last thing NYS needs is an ACT 60. You think we're paying a lot now?
Never let the facts get in the way of a high schoolers imagination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island