Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 PM

119 posts, read 339,580 times

Advertisements

So the story is that I was born in Franklin Square and move to South Florida when I was young with my family. Before it got insane down here it was great but now as a 32 year old man with two daughters this is not the place to be. My family is still in Long Island and I miss them dearly. I have such found memories as a kid of Long Island and every time I go back, which is often, I feel so much more at ease and safer overall.

My question is am I right with my assessment or am I jumping from one messed up place to another? Do people that currently live on Long Island become in awe with Florida and would think why would a person want to leave there and come back to the cold, high cost of living, and traffic.

Please share with me your thoughts.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:54 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,997,943 times
If you got out of prison why come back as a visiter only thing i can add to your concerns is the weather has been warmer then normal here but then agian so what.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:51 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,113,605 times
Anyone I know who has EVER moved to Florida has moved back. Everyone. If your family lives here, even more of a good reason to return. You are not crazy. It's a fact. Unless you are elderly, retired, need warmer temps year round and need a vacation lifestyle, I see no need to live in Florida.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:25 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,041,978 times
If it wasn't for Disney World I would never visit Florida again.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:44 AM

7,962 posts, read 9,178,221 times
The biggest problem with LI is the cost of living. Othereise it is pretty safe, with better 4 seaon weather (we don't get as cold or as hot as immediate neighbor states due to being out in the Atlantic a little. Just make sure you can afford to live here and you are ok with the level of taxation.

All of the people I know who moved to FL did so to escape high taxes. Of course then they just spentbthat savings coming back to visit 3 times a year, so I really don't know what moving accomplished financially speaking.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:18 AM

721 posts, read 1,568,211 times
My SIL and her family just moved back from FL this summer. They had moved down about 10 yrs ago and are still trying to unload their house but it just became unbearable for them to stay. My BIL is an engineer and he kept getting laid off. Their house was broken into 3 times in the past 2 years so that also played into it. they moved back to NJ. My BIL got a great job in Philly.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:25 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,326,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieDNY View Post
So the story is that I was born in Franklin Square and move to South Florida when I was young with my family. Before it got insane down here it was great but now as a 32 year old man with two daughters this is not the place to be. My family is still in Long Island and I miss them dearly. I have such found memories as a kid of Long Island and every time I go back, which is often, I feel so much more at ease and safer overall.

My question is am I right with my assessment or am I jumping from one messed up place to another? Do people that currently live on Long Island become in awe with Florida and would think why would a person want to leave there and come back to the cold, high cost of living, and traffic.

Please share with me your thoughts.

Thank you.
The new place LI'ers are in awe of is North Carolina.

I think the bloom was off the rose a long time ago when it comes to Florida. Public schools are generally not so good, there is more crime than on LI, cost of living there is going up, decent paying jobs with benefits are hard to find, etc. It's no accident that so many reality crime shows are filmed there (Cops, Police Women of Broward County, The First 48, etc., etc.). The only LI'ers I would recommend Florida to are the ones that want to be able to carry guns anywhere they want to and be able to have handguns. For those people, Florida cannot be beat.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,155,993 times
Honestly, everyone is different. My suggestion is to take a trip back to Long Island for a few weeks and if you like it, drop some resumes. Then figure out cost of living and other bills. If you decide to come back, at least you'll know what you are up against but my biggest suggestion is DON'T come back without a job especially if you are currently employed in Florida. Either way, Good Luck !

Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The new place LI'ers are in awe of is North Carolina.

I think the bloom was off the rose a long time ago when it comes to Florida. Public schools are generally not so good, there is more crime than on LI, cost of living there is going up, decent paying jobs with benefits are hard to find, etc. It's no accident that so many reality crime shows are filmed there (Cops, Police Women of Broward County, The First 48, etc., etc.). The only LI'ers I would recommend Florida to are the ones that want to be able to carry guns anywhere they want to and be able to have handguns. For those people, Florida cannot be beat.
I actually live in Broward County so funny you mention that. It is really bad here. My wife is from Ohio and she doesnt like even going to target after dinner. I was walking around my neighborhood the other night for some fresh air and some guy kept following me. Scary stuff! Thanks for the reply.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Honestly, everyone is different. My suggestion is to take a trip back to Long Island for a few weeks and if you like it, drop some resumes. Then figure out cost of living and other bills. If you decide to come back, at least you'll know what you are up against but my biggest suggestion is DON'T come back without a job especially if you are currently employed in Florida. Either way, Good Luck !
Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't come back to LI without a job for sure. Speaking of, is there really anything of the Island as far as jobs go or does everything revolve around the city? My Uncle that lives in Floral Park is retired so he is not in-tune with the job market.

Thank you for the feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island