Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,012,490 times

Advertisements

Both places have the potential to be good or bad. Have to go with your heart and gut and do the work necessary to make it work. Wherever that may be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM

82 posts, read 220,496 times
I lived on long island for most of my life. Came here to Palm Beach County a few years ago and I must say I love it here. You couldn't pay me to move back. I have a beautiful house that I would never be able to afford on LI. Is there crime here? of course there is, but you show me where there isn't. There is plenty of crime in Nassau County and the villages but no one wants to read about it because they are afraid of real estate values going down. My kids go to excellent public schools here and are doing very well. I have visited LI twice in four years and while it was nice seeing old friends and family, just being there reminds me of why I left. I don't know where the person who felt scared walking around their neighborhood lives but it sure is hell isn't around where I live. I feel safer here than walking on what used to be (unfortunately) known as the Long Beach boardwalk at night.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Police: Gunmen rob Rockville Centre store

Updated: Dec 29, 2012 11:39 AM
By ROBERT BRODSKY
Full Article View
Two men armed with handguns robbed an AT&T Wireless store in Rockville Centre on Friday afternoon, making off with cash and an assortment of cellphones, Nassau County police said.

The suspects entered the store, at 237 Sunrise Hwy., at 12:20 p.m. flashing handguns and demanding money at the register, Robbery Squad detectives said.

Three male employees in the store, ages 44, 26 and 23, turned over an undetermined amount of cash and cellphones, and the suspects fled westbound in a white vehicle, police said. None of the employees was injured.

The first suspect is described as 23 to 24 years old, wearing a red shirt, sunglasses and a hat. The second suspect was wearing a green shirt, a black-and-white scarf, black sunglasses and a hat.

Anyone with information about this robbery can call Crime Stoppers at 800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.

Old 12-29-2012, 09:49 AM

Unfortunately just proving my point. This crap happens everywhere nowadays

Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM

886 posts, read 2,654,603 times
My bride always wanted to retire to the Naples area so we have stayed there a few times at various different times of the year and I must admit I am intrigued. What I told her last year seems to have hit a nerve. I said I was willing to go but that I am not coming back to visit even our kids. She hasn't mentioned Florida in six months.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 AM

119 posts, read 340,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5312 View Post
I lived on long island for most of my life. Came here to Palm Beach County a few years ago and I must say I love it here. You couldn't pay me to move back. I have a beautiful house that I would never be able to afford on LI. Is there crime here? of course there is, but you show me where there isn't. There is plenty of crime in Nassau County and the villages but no one wants to read about it because they are afraid of real estate values going down. My kids go to excellent public schools here and are doing very well. I have visited LI twice in four years and while it was nice seeing old friends and family, just being there reminds me of why I left. I don't know where the person who felt scared walking around their neighborhood lives but it sure is hell isn't around where I live. I feel safer here than walking on what used to be (unfortunately) known as the Long Beach boardwalk at night.
Good points you make for sure. I have heard that Palm Beach is better than Broward. Where in Palm Beach are you located?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:56 AM

9 posts, read 14,277 times
Default 2011 crime rates by state

crime rates map 2011 - Bing Images

Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM

So is there anyone currently looking to get out of Long Island or Florida for that matter and if so, where are you planning on going?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM

245 posts, read 496,999 times
I'm looking to buy in Myrtle Beach in the next few years but hopefully still keep my Long Island home until all my kids are settled with college finished and have jobs. I will have LI home paid off in 2-3 years and will use that extra money to buy the MB home.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:39 AM

That sounds great. Where in Long Island are you located?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island