Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 AM

8,700 posts, read 11,099,735 times

Advertisements

Cuomo & Bloomy has a one to two week minimum delayed reaction to everything...its a joke on us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,044,859 times
Question Cuomo dropped the ball here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Cuomo & Bloomy has a one to two week minimum delayed reaction to everything...its a joke on us
Not sure about Bloomberg as I wasn't listening to city issues. With all that was going on people didn't need to suffer the lines and traffic they caused longer than necessary. He waited at least a week too long and what upsets me even more I did not see one quote where he explained why he felt it was not required sooner. People would ask and his answer was a no without any explanation for his logic. Maybe I missed the answer.

Anybody hear him explain his reasoning? Like I said maybe I missed it.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:28 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,478,261 times
It went into effect the day 3 of 4 stations I passed had gas and there were no lines. But hey, .gov is needed to tell people how to live their lives.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,692,013 times
I am surprised a government agency was not created so an offical would be stationed at each gas station to check your fuel gauge to see if you really needed gas.Hey you democrats you missed an opertunity for more Gov control and spending.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 AM

852 posts, read 1,444,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
I am surprised a government agency was not created so an offical would be stationed at each gas station to check your fuel gauge to see if you really needed gas.Hey you democrats you missed an opertunity for more Gov control and spending.
I'm not quite sure I understand why you're all complaining about government. This storm created havoc for the residents of Long Island....and ALL throughout, I kept hearing those SAME people that complain about BIG GOVERNMENT all the time, yelling for government to come in and help.
Where's FEMA? What are our officials doing about LIPA? Mobilize the national guard! Where are the cops to stop the looters? What is our government doing about the gas lines?! How can I get to work in Manhattan without public transportation? etc. etc. etc.

The fact is that the government imposing yet another regulation (odd/even day rationing) WORKED! It worked in NJ and worked in NY, once it was instituted. Gas lines were greatly reduced and anyone who waited in line for gas after the storm will be able to tell you the same.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I'm not quite sure I understand why you're all complaining about government. This storm created havoc for the residents of Long Island....and ALL throughout, I kept hearing those SAME people that complain about BIG GOVERNMENT all the time, yelling for government to come in and help.
Where's FEMA? What are our officials doing about LIPA? Mobilize the national guard! Where are the cops to stop the looters? What is our government doing about the gas lines?! How can I get to work in Manhattan without public transportation? etc. etc. etc.

The fact is that the government imposing yet another regulation (odd/even day rationing) WORKED! It worked in NJ and worked in NY, once it was instituted. Gas lines were greatly reduced and anyone who waited in line for gas after the storm will be able to tell you the same.
Well when you force people to pay the highest taxes in the country through dozens of different methods, people expect to get the services they deserve. It's not like we're living in Bumblefu*k, West Virginia, and paying nothing in taxes. No, we pay the highest taxes in the country.

Besides, look at what caused the majority of the problems here on LI:

-The biggest cause, Incompetent State Gov't agency (LIPA) not able to perform its duties was the main driver behind all these problems

-Law against Interstate selling of gasoline should have been suspended

-NYS gov't not relaxing its required ethanol blend mandate created delays and added to the shortage

-FEMA & OEM did nothing to provide generators to the gas stations without power. (I know someone who helped bring a gas station back online through generator power...He was not from the gov't. )

-International law prohibiting imported gas from overseas should have been lifted

Gee, let's see here.. Not only does Big Government tax us to death for services we didn't get, they also got in the way with all their regulations and mandates. They created the situation in the first place! Or at the very least, made it considerably worse. The odd/even thing did not work in Jersey until supplies loosened up and pumps were working. Don't kid yourself, the lines were still long there even after it was implemented.

Last edited by Pequaman; 11-17-2012 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-17-2012, 10:36 AM

852 posts, read 1,444,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Well when you force people to pay the highest taxes in the country through dozens of different methods, people expect to get the services they deserve. It's not like we're living in Bumblefu*k, West Virginia, and paying nothing in taxes. No, we pay the highest taxes in the country.

Besides, look at what caused the majority of the problems here on LI:

-The biggest cause, Incompetent Gov't agency (LIPA) not able to perform its duties was the main driver behind all these problems

-Law against Interstate selling of gasoline should have been suspended

-NYS gov't not relaxing its required ethanol blend mandate added to the shortage

-FEMA & OEM did nothing to provide generators to the gas stations without power. (I know someone who helped bring a gas station back online through generator power...He was not from the gov't. )

-International law prohibiting imported gas from overseas should have been lifted

Gee, let's see here. Not only does Big Government tax us to death for services we didn't get, they also got in the way with all their regulations and mandates. They created the situation in the first place! Or at the very least, made it considerably worse.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
Quote:
Checkmate

Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,478,261 times
Quote:

Cops need to stop the looters because the laws here protect the looters: law abiding citizens can't bring guns out of their house, no castle law, and residents weren't allowed to go to their houses in some cases.

Gas lines were caused by government regulation. Removal of the regs would have reduced the gas lines.

Public transport shouldn't be funded by everyone. It should be paid by those using the transportation. I drive, I pay for my car. I don't ask someone who is using the metro to pay for it.

If you think that it was the odd/even fixed the gas lines I have some magic pills that will cure a cold in 24-48 hours. Gas lines were fixed because the gas started flowing, not because of some inept system.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:52 AM

629 posts, read 1,702,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
The overwhelming majority of property taxes are used to support the parasites/leeches at the local government-run schools - NOT the local government agencies expected to spring into action in an emergency. Additionally, the last time I remember seeing a list of highest property taxes in the country - LonG Island was not even in the the top 3. Lastly, no one "forces" anyone on LonG Island to pay taxes - people CHOSE to do so by CHOOSING to stay/live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island