Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I can't tell you who to use but I could definitely tell you who not to use. Allied Van lines is the worse moving company on the planet. They screwed me real good
Interesting, that's who we used. Perfect move.

What happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Such a big company that's been around so long? What scam did they pull on you?
Just the usual " after weighing the truck at our facility....it came in more than the estimate but almost a grand more( in terms money not weight " They gave me either the usual pay it or we'll come back and unload the truck back at your house.

They consolidated with 3 other movers to save me money but the truck arrived two days late

They pick up some homeless people from Petersburg to help unload the truck after they said they only use their men.

Two of theses homeless guys proceeded to steal all of my wife's jewelry. My wife realized it while I was at the bank taking out money to tip these thieves. Instead of getting a tip they got a gun pointed at them until all of my wife's jewelry was returned.

It was the first time anyone ever saw police cars on the block, made for and interesting meet and greet

After all this they managed to take a few bucks off the move, what a nightmare!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:08 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Wow, we had the opposite experience - our truck weighed less than the estimate.

And Mike - jewelry on a moving truck??? Come on, now!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow, we had the opposite experience - our truck weighed less than the estimate.

And Mike - jewelry on a moving truck??? Come on, now!
I'm not that stupid

We ordered a lot of new furniture for the new house. We had a new bedroom set already in by the time the movers arrived and my wife had a Jewelry box in one of her drawers. We got a call that the movers were 20 minutes out and this was on a Sunday and like I said the truck was suppose to arrive on Friday. Chaos set in because we were told they would be there first thing Monday morning.

I trust nobody and put on all my valuables on and the rest locked up in the trunk of my car. I was so pissed at my wife for her carelessness.

I told the movers don't go in the master bedroom because none of what was on the truck was going in there. One of the sub-contracted out homeless guy played dumb and put a chair in our adjoining sitting room. While in there he stole all the jewelry and put most of it in the others guys jacket without him knowing. Some stuff was recovered in the grass and I found some in the mailbox.

Like the show...... they almost got away with it until I had them at gunpoint

Old 07-31-2012, 11:56 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Just the usual " after weighing the truck at our facility....it came in more than the estimate but almost a grand more( in terms money not weight " They gave me either the usual pay it or we'll come back and unload the truck back at your house.

They consolidated with 3 other movers to save me money but the truck arrived two days late

They pick up some homeless people from Petersburg to help unload the truck after they said they only use their men.

Two of theses homeless guys proceeded to steal all of my wife's jewelry. My wife realized it while I was at the bank taking out money to tip these thieves. Instead of getting a tip they got a gun pointed at them until all of my wife's jewelry was returned.

It was the first time anyone ever saw police cars on the block, made for and interesting meet and greet

After all this they managed to take a few bucks off the move, what a nightmare!

If there are 2 transactions in life that I can't believe haven't become flat-rate pay the price you see deals..it's moving and buying a car. Unreal.

I'm not licensed to have a gun but I did have an aluminum bat and crowbar in my car in case there was any funny business on my last move. Luckily there wasn't any. We got our guys off Angies list. It wasn't cheap but there was no BS either. I've heard horror stories of people having their stuff held hostage in cross country moves and such.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Just the usual " after weighing the truck at our facility....it came in more than the estimate but almost a grand more( in terms money not weight "
Maybe they weighed the truck with you on it?

Old 07-31-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Maybe they weighed the truck with you on it?
Jet....I weigh a whopping 187 lbs and at 6' 4" that really isn't fat

and for the ladies I wear a size 15 1/2 shoe

Last edited by BigMike50; 07-31-2012 at 02:11 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 04:36 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
But has a size 6 foot.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Jet....I weigh a whopping 187 lbs and at 6' 4" that really isn't fat

and for the ladies I wear a size 15 1/2 shoe
Maybe it was just your ego that was on the truck?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:39 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
I used Leonetti who are located in Oceanside. Had to keep my stuff in storage with them for a while and the process was pretty smooth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island