Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 12:21 PM

134 posts, read 250,844 times

Advertisements

Bay Shore depending on where you are can be welfare area all the way up to being wealthy. Bay Shore also has sub neighborhoods with in its town. West Bay Shore is very nice and its varies from middle to upper middle class neighborhood. Baywood is a working class mixed neighborhood. Brightwaters farms varies from working class to upper middle class depending on where in the neighborhood. SunnyBrook which is by 1st ave is more of a blighted area but has improved a lot over the years. Pentaquit is a working class neighborhood and same by the mall. North Bay Shore depending on where you are can be a little ghetto to working class. O-Conee is upper middle class to downright weathy. Downtown Bay Shore has improved significantly as well. Overall I feel Bay Shore has a little bit for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:28 AM

398 posts, read 837,991 times
I always assumed it was a crappy neighborhood, but speaking with friends that live in surrounding towns they say it has very nice areas. Some very wealthy areas in brightwaters and down by the water. The school district is diverse from what I udnerstand.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:44 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
I always assumed it was a crappy neighborhood, but speaking with friends that live in surrounding towns they say it has very nice areas. Some very wealthy areas in brightwaters and down by the water. The school district is diverse from what I udnerstand.
Brightwaters is an incorporated village and therefore not part of any of the hamlets that have Bay Shore in their name. They may share an SD with them, but I'm thinking that a lot of those kids may be going to Catholic/private schools.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Brightwaters does share the SD with Bay Shore and When I was going to school in Bay Shore there were plenty of kids from Brightwaters who went to Bay Shore school. The sending to private/catholic institutions you see more from K-8th grade since there are catholic schools with in Bay Shore itself.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:30 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Yup, over the past 15 years a lot of Brightwaters kids have been switching to Bay Shore schools. Knock it all you want but Bay Shore has a lot of scholar programs and what not. Yes there are some riff rafs.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boliqua2 View Post
Bay Shore depending on where you are can be welfare area all the way up to being wealthy. Bay Shore also has sub neighborhoods with in its town. West Bay Shore is very nice and its varies from middle to upper middle class neighborhood. Baywood is a working class mixed neighborhood. Brightwaters farms varies from working class to upper middle class depending on where in the neighborhood. SunnyBrook which is by 1st ave is more of a blighted area but has improved a lot over the years. Pentaquit is a working class neighborhood and same by the mall. North Bay Shore depending on where you are can be a little ghetto to working class. O-Conee is upper middle class to downright weathy. Downtown Bay Shore has improved significantly as well. Overall I feel Bay Shore has a little bit for everyone.
I'd just like to point out that West Bay Shore, Brightwaters, North Bay Shore, and Baywood are all seperate hamlets from Bay Shore (I know I sound like Walter now. ). SunnyBrook, O-Conee, Brightwaters Farms, Pentaquit, Downtown, etc, are, neighborhoods, though.

Just a technicality. Carry on...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:38 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had3CooksAte2Had1 View Post
How is the hamlet of Bay Shore? I'm curious because I have heard mixed things about it. Some people say its nice, while others compare it to Brentwood and Central Islip. Also, are the separate hamlets of West Bay Shore and North Bay Shore nice? I mainly hear North Bay Shore being compared to Brentwood.

Some areas are very nice. However, if you have kids, definitely private school

Old 06-26-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'd just like to point out that West Bay Shore, Brightwaters, North Bay Shore, and Baywood are all seperate hamlets from Bay Shore (I know I sound like Walter now. ). SunnyBrook, O-Conee, Brightwaters Farms, Pentaquit, Downtown, etc, are, neighborhoods, though.

Just a technicality. Carry on...
I am aware of this but as you said not everyone is like Walter

Old 06-26-2012, 06:14 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Just curious on how many kids you know attending the schools?

Ever been to the student activity nights? What about a lacrosse game? What about a PTA meeting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Some areas are very nice. However, if you ha.ve kids, definitely private school

Old 06-26-2012, 11:18 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Just curious on how many kids you know attending the schools?

Ever been to the student activity nights? What about a lacrosse game? What about a PTA meeting?
I do not know any kids that attend Bayshore schools. The few that I do know in Bayshore, go to private schools
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island