Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM

152 posts, read 400,075 times

Advertisements

Ok what's the real story behind L.I. Diners' ten ( 10 ) page menus? How can they offer all these different food items?

Is it all pre-purchased frozen items?

Is it all made from scratch?

How do they do it? Anyone on the inside know the real story?

Related Question; What's your favorite L.I. Diner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,085,648 times
As someone who frequents a local diner about once a week, I'd rather stay blissfully ignorant as to how the diner pulls off the vast array of food.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,767,210 times
frozen food + multiple microwaves = hundreds of available items.

If you watch Kitchen Nightmares, even supposed quality/trendy/high-end restauarants with limited menus serve re-heated frozen items.

I don't have a problem with a diner doing it, as long as the original ingredients are of a decent quality. Besides, it's not like I'm ordering the lobster.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:34 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times
When you have that many items on the menu you can be sure most of it isn't good. For the most part LI diners stink. I watch these "diners drive ins and dives" shows and I yearn to have ONE of these places around here..everything that they show on LI is a roadside take out place.

A sit down, privately owned place, with a freshly prepared limited menu that doesn't run you $100 the minute you step in the door..that isn't red sauce Italian based.

And no, Crickets in Sayville is not the answer. Their food is not very good.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:48 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I watch these "diners drive ins and dives" shows and I yearn to have ONE of these places around here...
DId you see Hildebrandt's in Williston Park on that show? They showed them making the ice cream that they are famous for in the basement. NASTY! I can guarantee you the health dept has never been down there!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,991,940 times
I stick to the diners that actually have the owners cooking in the kitchen, or at least working there. They are harder to come by.

I worked in a high end restaurant on Shelter Island one summer and the only thing they had frozen were the items on the kids menu (chicken tenders, french fries, etc.) and some deserts. Everything else was delivered frequently, and the special changed constantly depending on what the owner's boat brought in that week.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:11 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,349,392 times
I personally think that diners have bad food despite plenty of people liking them.

when I go, I stick to basics. Breakfast for the most part, pancakes, eggs, bacon, or a burger, buffalo chicken sandwhich

I don't think I'm up for the dinner special.

On the other hand, there are plenty of bad resturants on LI with large menus. take a look at 90% of the italian resturants.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:34 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,000,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
DId you see Hildebrandt's in Williston Park on that show? They showed them making the ice cream that they are famous for in the basement. NASTY! I can guarantee you the health dept has never been down there!
Exactly the sentiment that makes a good, non chain, original mom and pop shop like dman (and I) yearn for a rarity on LI. Between the snarky, "eww" attitude, oppressive code Nazis, taxes, and Nimby dingbats, nothing short of Chipotles, Wendys or another generic Italian place can survive for long. I've had great food all over the world and some of the housekeeping wasn't top of the line but it looked like a kitchen, the employees and owner's family ate there and the food was phenomenal. That's more important to me than someone mandated to pretend to clean the bathrrom every xxx minutes or maintain 47 separate sinks per insurance and food police regulations. The absolute best soup I ever had was made by a little old lady on a rickety boat with a hot plate in Vietnam.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:38 AM

13,512 posts, read 17,047,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Exactly the sentiment that makes a good, non chain, original mom and pop shop like dman (and I) yearn for a rarity on LI. Between the snarky, "eww" attitude, oppressive code Nazis, taxes, and Nimby dingbats, nothing short of Chipotles, Wendys or another generic Italian place can survive for long. I've had great food all over the world and some of the housekeeping wasn't top of the line but it looked like a kitchen, the employees and owner's family ate there and the food was phenomenal. That's more important to me than someone mandated to pretend to clean the bathrrom every xxx minutes or maintain 47 separate sinks per insurance and food police regulations. The absolute best soup I ever had was made by a little old lady on a rickety boat with a hot plate in Vietnam.
Couldn't have said it better. Coming from someone who's sampled the roadside jerk chicken in Jamaica.

I'm sure the basement at Katz's deli looks bad too. Uppity bougie LIers with their excessive obsession on everything looking like a miracle mile boutique. Get over yourselves.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:57 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Couldn't have said it better. Coming from someone who's sampled the roadside jerk chicken in Jamaica.

I'm sure the basement at Katz's deli looks bad too. Uppity bougie LIers with their excessive obsession on everything looking like a miracle mile boutique. Get over yourselves.
Love the double standard

Ive never been to the M.M. in my life.

I worked in a restaurant that changed management between summers I was there. Amazing what a difference bone's standards make...went from roach-free the first summer to "leave your purse in the car" the next. No excuse for not running a clean shop and the dirt doesn't make your food better...neither does Jose not washing his hands after he loos mid-shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island