Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM

13,545 posts, read 17,100,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
I was always ambivalent about the bisuits and gravy thing until I was at an all-nighter party at a bed and breakfast in Llano, TX (xmas party for bar workers from Austin...hardcore rockers and drinkers). In the morning the owner used an iron skillet to make that peppery white pork gravy and biscuits from scratch and holy crap, it was one of the best breakfasts I ever had. It always helps to be seriously pie eyed, hung over and starving though!!
If you add a bunch of pork fat to anything it's probably going to taste good. What I can't seem to find that's decent around here is a breakfast burrito. Places have them, but they stink. I've been to about 6 breakfast places in college towns around the southeast and northeast and have had kick butt breakfast burritos..also places in Brooklyn and Manhattan..all fresh, all good. Here, I've had them in 2 different places and I got jarred salsa. WTF?

I cook everything that I can in a cast iron skillet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 09:50 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,288,891 times
That's why I only order burgers, gyro's or souvlaki in a diner because that's the stuff that pretty much anyone orders. If I want seafood, steaks or pasta, it's not gonna be at a diner. But if you think about it, most of their food is just repeated ingredients and things that are quick to make.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM

13,545 posts, read 17,100,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It would be great to have some Halal Chicken and Rice trucks on Long Island.

I don't see any attitude about food from a truck here on Long Island..mainly becuase the only truck food is dogs. Most Long Islanders who dont commute into the city have no idea how good street meat is and the abundance of good quality and interesting food on the streets of Manhattan. But, I have have worked with many people who live in the city who will not eat any street food.

I still would like to hear from someone who worked in a diner about how they manage their kitchens. My guess is only certain food is frozen (fish, steak etc) and, as someone pointed out, the menu is large but redundant...101 ways to cook the same ingredients.
I'd welcome some food trucks in my corporate park.

There is a serious lack of Middle Eastern food around here. Way, way too much red sauce Italian.

The diners are all owned by Greeks, but most don't even have good Greek food.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:52 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,727,694 times
I have had some good steaks at a diner. Lets face it, you can buy high quality frozen steaks at Restaurant Depot and, if cooked right, will taste great.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'd welcome some food trucks in my corporate park.

There is a serious lack of Middle Eastern food around here. Way, way too much red sauce Italian.

The diners are all owned by Greeks, but most don't even have good Greek food.
I think that is about the 1,000th time you have spewed about "red sauce Italian". That's like saying Im tired of white rice chinese.

People like southern italian cuisine. Therefore you will have lots of restauarants that serve it.

and yes, we need food trucks..but unfortunately most Long Islanders...those who grew up here or never worked in the city...will never acquire a taste for anything different.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:56 AM

2,630 posts, read 5,012,985 times
Quote:
In fairness, restaurant inspection is not just about rats and roaches.

It's about handwashing, food storage (does somebody have cleaning chemicals stored above produce?) equipment working correctly (is the fridge operating at a safe temperature or is it too warm?) how long the food sits around, etc.

The biggest dangers in any restaurant are foods that aren't cooked (salads) handled by people who didn't wash their hands correctly or that was contaminated elsewhere (taco bell issue a few years ago), and reheated food that sits around at too low a temperature. If you buy soup from a place and it is luke warm, you probably shouldn't eat it.

I've had food poisoning on a few occasions and it happened more than once in places that were **** and span in appearance.
I hear ya. I was being flippant. I worked in the business for alot of years and so much of it is just about pride and common/business sense. An owner who saves a buck and serves borderline food is a bad businessman. One issue can damage a reputation and make a nice lawsuit. Best restauranteur/head chef slogan is "if in doubt, throw it out!"

To the OP's question. Much of the diner menu comes down to staples (breakfast stuff, sandwich stuff, roasts, etc and are likely made every day or every other day) and put together in various ways. Burger meat is easy to order every few days and refrigerate or even pre-portion and freeze. No one gets too freaked by frozen burger patties and they can go straight to the grill. It's the offerings like "roast duck" I wonder about. It has to be frozen, and really, why bother? Do they really sell that many of them? Fish and seafood I wonder about too but in an area like ours you can get daily delivery so it's just a matter of knowing what sells and what doesn't and ordering accordingly.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
If you add a bunch of pork fat to anything it's probably going to taste good. What I can't seem to find that's decent around here is a breakfast burrito. Places have them, but they stink. I've been to about 6 breakfast places in college towns around the southeast and northeast and have had kick butt breakfast burritos..also places in Brooklyn and Manhattan..all fresh, all good. Here, I've had them in 2 different places and I got jarred salsa. WTF?

I cook everything that I can in a cast iron skillet.
Difference between "adding pork fat" and rendering it in the skillet, but I know what you're saying. I really miss and can't find "huevos rancheros." First thing I get when I'm in Cali or southwest. I made fun of "breakfast burritos" when I first went down south but came to love them. Nothing like a breakfast you can add salsa and hot sauce to. There was breakfast taco/burrito place in Austin that had lines on weekend mornings just like a good bagel shop does here.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I think that is about the 1,000th time you have spewed about "red sauce Italian". That's like saying Im tired of white rice chinese.

People like southern italian cuisine. Therefore you will have lots of restauarants that serve it.

and yes, we need food trucks..but unfortunately most Long Islanders...those who grew up here or never worked in the city...will never acquire a taste for anything different.
C'mon, let's be fair...there are WAY too many "traditional" Italian places on LI and none are much better than the other and most aren't all that authentic to Italy. Good yes, predicatable and family friendly more than foodie friendly.

I loved the Halal trucks in the city but we always called them the "Taliban Wagon." We always had the feeling our money was going directly to a terrorist organization somewhere. Wrong, I know, but life is short, gotta have a laugh. The white sauce is friggin amazing, whatever it is and 90 degree heat doesn't seem to bother it! lol

Old 06-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
C'mon, let's be fair...there are WAY too many "traditional" Italian places on LI and none are much better than the other and most aren't all that authentic to Italy. Good yes, predicatable and family friendly more than foodie friendly.

I loved the Halal trucks in the city but we always called them the "Taliban Wagon." We always had the feeling our money was going directly to a terrorist organization somewhere. Wrong, I know, but life is short, gotta have a laugh. The white sauce is friggin amazing, whatever it is and 90 degree heat doesn't seem to bother it! lol
Ive heard the white sauce is mayonaisse based..but who knows..its good. Most people have both white and hot sauce to varying degrees. I was at a truck last week, woman walks up and orders Vegetables and Rice...no hot or white sauce. Instead she asked for lots of Ketchup over her lunch. I could have gagged.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Im getting hungry now...and here I am right across the street from Falafel Square...time for some chicken and rice...or maybe a good Falafel sandwich.

Dman....the red sauce truck is heading your way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island