Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,706,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontwannaleaveLI View Post
I need something under $300k, low tax

Not too bad...not too far.
Western Suffolk/Close to LIRR
Sachem Schools
MLSLI.com - Find a Home
I bet you could get it under 300
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM

76 posts, read 209,292 times
Thanks for the response. We are thing of Minnesota. Part og my delima (besides my spelling) is up rooting my kids. My son is 7 (my daughter is only 3-soon to be 4), but the thought of my son having to start all over really bothers me. Watching both of them with their friends is truly amazing. All of these kids have grown up together, and the thought of taking them from here to somewhere else and hoping they can fit in is a really tough decision.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:29 PM

326 posts, read 756,691 times
I just moved to NC from LI and I can find all the same foods....fast foods and chains restaurants like applebees down here and then some! I have more choices of fast food and restaurants down here and its good food too! Yes I do miss deli sandwichs and macaroni salad etc. But I make my own mac salad alot and I make my own sandwichs with the same brand name lunch meat. I really miss bagels! But that's about it. I have all the same stores down here that I use to shop in back on LI and more!!! I have all the same here in NC that I had on LI but more of it!!! I really only miss bagels! But my taxes are a tenth of the money and I have a house twice as big with an inground pool and a garage bigger then my LI house and I have a public school system that is awesome and make NY schools look bad! The kids are so advanced here that my son needs to catch up!

But...can you move back to NY? Depends.....My house has already gone up in value down here! But could I afford to move back to NY..probably not with all the expenses of moving involved but we knew that before we made the move. And we like it down here and almost everyone is from NY anyway!!!lol I have met so many LI'ers down here that it seems like home!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:44 PM

411 posts, read 1,607,024 times
I miss NY but there is life outside of it. I don't miss the high costs or taxes, nor do I miss the humidity or the long winters. Apart from family, and I visit once a year, not having 'great' pizza or unsurpassed bagels is worth a move.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:41 PM

553 posts, read 1,941,860 times
Go to Tennessee . everyone I know is heading there. and the ones that are there love it. big cheap houses ,great pay, low taxes and utilities. Go now before we ruin that to.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:24 PM

8,834 posts, read 21,395,893 times
Rocky Point.

is this an alter ego of clammy????

Old 09-25-2007, 05:28 PM

553 posts, read 1,941,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Not too bad...not too far.
Western Suffolk/Close to LIRR
Sachem Schools
MLSLI.com - Find a Home
I bet you could get it under 300
C
cute house clam. If they get 300 gs for that, my ranch must be worth 500.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:28 PM

76 posts, read 209,292 times
Here is another question as it relates to moving. Is it better to relocate in the middle of a school year, or just wait til summer, and have the kids start in September?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:37 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,159,694 times
Michael--do you have kids? If so, you must decide whether to pull them out or wait till Summer.

Maybe you want to move in January after a semester?

Most people move in June/July/August so moving after Sept the prices may be cheaper.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 PM

26 posts, read 83,503 times
if you wanna move but keep some of the things you like about downstate/long island why not move to Binghamton or keep heading west to rochester or even buffalo?

Binghamton area - tons of diners, great schools (endwell/endicott/vestal/JC), great grocery stores (Wegmans/Tops!), cheap housing (you can still get a nice house for less than $100k in Bingo), great pizza and italian food (Tonys, Cortese...)

hell...most of the population came from Long Island!

it's only a little over 3 hours from LI/NYC if you need a fix of traffic, over priced food, tiny parking lots and cheap hispanic labor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island