Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,658,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer View Post
maybe Lynbrook will work. The prices are coming down.
Not sure about the prices, but heard good things about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:01 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,670,668 times
Anyplace west of the border with Nausea County?

Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
Anyplace west of the border with Nausea County?
You mean Asia/Latino town? Yes, that's an option, and it is on the island physically called Long Island, but not on the Island we all know and love.

I'd go with almost any town in Nassau at this point, over Queens.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
You mean Asia/Latino town? Yes, that's an option, and it is on the island physically called Long Island, but not on the Island we all know and love.

I'd go with almost any town in Nassau at this point, over Queens.
"Come to Nassau County - see why the whole world hates white people."

Old 10-04-2007, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Yes, success is something people hate, whether Hempstead or Baghdad. I believe some people call it "playa hatin'." Word.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:47 PM

No, it is not that.

I vividly recall, once upon a time, working some dreadful temp job at Macy's at Christmastime, a prosperous looking gent in a three piece suit holding a door open for me.

Yep, me, a lowly grunt laborer. He said: "Everyone needs a little help sometimes." And, he smiled.

He'd been there, you see.

I am not in the least bit ashamed of being white; or of our shared cultural heritage, which is excellent.

What I do feel like apologizing for, and what does make me ashamed, is this attitude of entitlement; these people who are somehow, too good to work.

This is not justifiable pride in success. This is hubris, based on the achievements of others, the heirs to wealth who now want to pull the ladder up after them.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:53 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,578 times
Quote:
I vividly recall, once upon a time, working some dreadful temp job at Macy's at Christmastime, a prosperous looking gent in a three piece suit holding a door open for me.

Yep, me, a lowly grunt laborer. He said: "Everyone needs a little help sometimes." And, he smiled.

He'd been there, you see.
Dedalus,
Your liitle story is indicative of what is wrong with most young people today.

So many people today have never had to work at a low paying entry level job. Many teenagers never work, then go to college, and then get some well paying job - they never had to do anything. Work builds responsibility and character. Without that humbling experience too many folks growing up never experience that dimension of life.

What has happened is that many jobs once done by teenagers and young adults are now being done by hordes of cheap labor legal and illegal immigrants. I remember my first job. I delivered Newsday newspapers after school when I was 12. How many 12 year olds are doing that today?

The old America is being washed away. What is replacing it is too scary to sometimes really think about. Thats why we are all thinking of running, but there is nowhere to really go.

Old 10-06-2007, 06:56 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,489,578 times
Here is a story about Losing the American Dream. Click the link below.

Losing the American Dream

Old 10-06-2007, 07:55 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,867 times
Living on Long Island most of my 57 years I'd have to say that the Huntington area is one of the nicest areas on LI. Its very diverse which is what I like.
Growing up as a kid in the city, diversity in color, religion, and all kinds of nationalities...well, that was something that I loved being a part of.
When my parents moved to LI in my early teens and I woke up the next morning in a lily white neighborhood it was culture shock for me. I hated it! And I'm white...lol.

Many decades later I can say that the Huntington area has so much to choose from.
It offers some incredable museums, parks, theaters, etc.
Of all the places on LI I've been to I'd have to say hands down the Huntington area offers the most in so many arenas.

Old 10-06-2007, 09:00 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,284,554 times
Quote:

Maybe in your world they do ( I know your white; mores the pity), but such a blatently racist comment reveals more about you than the white race you so despise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island