Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,003,901 times

Advertisements

Truth is, NY and NJ drivers follow waaay closer than the other states I've driven in.
If I want to stop at a yellow light, no cop is going to write a ticket that will stand up in cout for doing just that, especially in bad weather! If I need to slam on my brakes to avoid a ticket, and someone ends up rearending me, guess who's fault it is?

I can't count the number of times i've slowed down to an impending red and the guy has to swerve onto the shoulder or the left turn lane to avoid hitting me. They might call it skill, but I call it stupidity because had the option to swerve not been there, he'd been in my back seat.

I just shake my head almost everytime there's an accident on the SSP or LIE because there's usually more than 2 cars involved. First one jumped on the brakes, 2nd guy was 1. following too close or 2. wasn't paying attention, and the third guy is usually the victim of a car stopping in front of him without brake lights and consequently not having enough distance in between to stop.

Speaking of no brake lights, why do so many people (especially out east!) drive around with both brake lights out!? I see this way too often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 06:21 AM

6,396 posts, read 13,247,420 times
All you folks crying about the boot are pathetic. Its the same deal as if you didnt pay LIPA- they shut your power off.
The college police where I went to school have been using these for years.
Man up and pay your violations and you wont have any problems.

/thread.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:59 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,767,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Missouri: Court Rules Red Light Cameras The Devil's Handiwork!

Fixed it for you.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Speaking of no brake lights, why do so many people (especially out east!) drive around with both brake lights out!? I see this way too often.

I'm betting most of them don't know they're out. What gets me are the people driving at night with no HEADlights! Even with city/town/highway lights, you HAVE to notice you have no headlights, right?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 AM

13,555 posts, read 17,148,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Truth is, NY and NJ drivers follow waaay closer than the other states I've driven in.
Absolutely, especially in NJ. This is part of why our insurance rates are so high, there are so many rear end accidents.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Absolutely, especially in NJ. This is part of why our insurance rates are so high, there are so many rear end accidents.

I agree. And with the number of red lights and stop signs, what's the point of riding up someone's butt? You're going to be stopped at the same spot, only 2 seconds faster?

BRILLIANT!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:19 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,177,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
I'm betting most of them don't know they're out. What gets me are the people driving at night with no HEADlights! Even with city/town/highway lights, you HAVE to notice you have no headlights, right?
I see this almost nightly! I have on occassion flashed people to try and get their attention to turn their lights on. But they pay no heed. It's dangerous!

Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I see this almost nightly! I have on occassion flashed people to try and get their attention to turn their lights on. But they pay no heed. It's dangerous!

DO NOT flash your headlights at them! I've heard that in some ....less than nice social clubs that may or may not be less than lawful, a common practice (or initiation rite?) is to drive around without lights on, wait for a Good Samaritan to flash their lights as a warning and then jack them.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I agree. And with the number of red lights and stop signs, what's the point of riding up someone's butt? You're going to be stopped at the same spot, only 2 seconds faster?

BRILLIANT!
Just this morning I had a woman in an SUV right up my butt!! As I stopped at the red light, she swirved around me and sped through the red light only to be stopped at the next red light where I caught up with her.
Ridiculous!
It's all a vicious cyle here in NY I think. If you leave too much space in front of you, all of a sudden 3 or more cars squeeze in forcing you to then brake short.
If everyone just drove a steady speed keeping the proper distance between cars - everyone's drive would go more smoothly.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
DO NOT flash your headlights at them! I've heard that in some ....less than nice social clubs that may or may not be less than lawful, a common practice (or initiation rite?) is to drive around without lights on, wait for a Good Samaritan to flash their lights as a warning and then jack them.
I thought that was actually an urban legend...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island