Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM

137 posts, read 249,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
A lot of what these "Mediums" do is read people and play off what they want to hear.
No doubt there's plenty of that. But again, how is that really much different than how a Psychologist/Counselor works with their patients who are struggling with grief? They listen, consider, and speak what they feel their patient/customer wants & needs to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
People can believe what they wish -- if you choose not to, I respect that, but ask that you give those of us who believe in spirits the same respect.
Well, that's just it, that's how I view such things. I don't believe in folks communicating with the deceased. But if it somehow brings someone peace, that's priceless. That's why I'd told my SIL to go ahead if it brings her some sense of comfort. No, I don't believe in it (I'm not going to lie to her), but the choice was her's, not mine. And I do see how it could have a positive value for someone struggling with the loss of a loved one. Does it really matter if it's a grief counselor/psychologist or a medium who helps them? What exactly is the difference? There's some emotional trauma that they need to get past, what difference does it make what/who the catalyst is?

People who use Mediums/Readers/Etc. are adults, willing participants and quite capable of making their own decisions. If that makes them happy, that's their business. What is this terrible danger they're in that I should save them from themselves? I don't feel like it's my moral duty to go around debunking other people's beliefs, forcefully convincing them of my point of view. To each their own - Make your own choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 09:44 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,982,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyriel View Post
No doubt there's plenty of that. But again, how is that really much different than how a Psychologist/Counselor works with their patients who are struggling with grief? They listen, consider, and speak what they feel their patient/customer wants & needs to hear.
Insurance doesn't cover "spiritual talks with the dead" sadly

Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I think that she's great, it's just that accent. Is that for real?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Yeah it's lawnguyland LOL
It's more Brooklyn than LI.

I think it's easier than ever for people to research customers before they come in... find out their entire immediate family, extended family, obits, deaths, news articles, etc.. all online and almost instantly, even with just a phone number. I'd be careful going to see one and I'm not convinced on this medium in Hicksville. The part where she saw the button with the guy wearing red, she could have easily saw that through the front door.

If there's a real one out there which I'm sure there are, let them find you.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 AM

5 posts, read 10,292 times
I had a medium reading in Salem, MA. No research could have been done prior to the reading since I was simply a walk-in. I was absolutely floored by how she described certain information that she was receiving from my deceased mother. I was and am very skeptical of this stuff, but there was no way I could dispute what she said. For anyone who is interested, I will give you her name and telephone number. She does readings in person or on the phone. In addition to medium readings, she does couples readings and seances. Send me a private message... she is very gifted psychic, and author.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:14 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,164,979 times
I'm just curious about non-believers. Why is it easy for you to accept and believe that there is a God, and to believe all the things the Bible tells you. There's no real proof of any of these things. And yet you cannot believe that a)there's an afterlife and b)real psychics exist.

Maybe someone can explain this: In August of 2004 I had a dream that my late Grandmother was sitting in my kitchen. And in my dream I asked her why she was here and she responded with two words "I'm waiting". Then my dream ended and I woke up.
I made sure to tell as many people as I could about this dream as I had no idea what it really meant.
Two weeks later, my mother (who lived with us) stumbled into the kitchen at midnight. She could not breathe! By the time the ambulance arrived she had passed away of a Pulmonary Edema. She did NOT have congestive heart failure and although she had high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes there was no indication that she would so suddenly pass away like that.
It's quite apparent who my Grandmother was waiting for in our Kitchen.
Coincidence?? I don't think so. I've had many many premanitory dreams throughout my life, in addition to other instances.
For instance, about 6 months after my mom passed I dreamed she was walking my friend's dog.
You guessed it...the dog was euthanized a few weeks after that dream.
No one can tell me that Psychics aren't real!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:16 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,164,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPERRR View Post
I had a medium reading in Salem, MA. No research could have been done prior to the reading since I was simply a walk-in. I was absolutely floored by how she described certain information that she was receiving from my deceased mother. I was and am very skeptical of this stuff, but there was no way I could dispute what she said. For anyone who is interested, I will give you her name and telephone number. She does readings in person or on the phone. In addition to medium readings, she does couples readings and seances. Send me a private message... she is very gifted psychic, and author.
There are some very good readers and psychics in Salem

Old 09-27-2011, 11:32 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,982,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
I'm just curious about non-believers. Why is it easy for you to accept and believe that there is a God, and to believe all the things the Bible tells you. There's no real proof of any of these things. And yet you cannot believe that a)there's an afterlife and b)real psychics exist.
I can only answer for myself but I do not believe in a higher power nor do I believe in spiritual entities speaking to a crazy Lawn Guylander to try to get me to lighten my wallet.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post

Maybe someone can explain this: In August of 2004 I had a dream that my late Grandmother was sitting in my kitchen. And in my dream I asked her why she was here and she responded with two words "I'm waiting". Then my dream ended and I woke up.
I made sure to tell as many people as I could about this dream as I had no idea what it really meant.
Two weeks later, my mother (who lived with us) stumbled into the kitchen at midnight. She could not breathe! By the time the ambulance arrived she had passed away of a Pulmonary Edema. She did NOT have congestive heart failure and although she had high blood pressure and Type 2 diabetes there was no indication that she would so suddenly pass away like that.
It's quite apparent who my Grandmother was waiting for in our Kitchen.
Coincidence?? I don't think so. I've had many many premanitory dreams throughout my life, in addition to other instances.
For instance, about 6 months after my mom passed I dreamed she was walking my friend's dog.
You guessed it...the dog was euthanized a few weeks after that dream.
No one can tell me that Psychics aren't real!
I definatley believe that your grandmother was waiting for her. My mom has dreams like that or should I say she says she has seen her dad, my dad and her brother come to her at night telling her that they are ok and that they appreciated everything she did for them. My husband at times has either seen or felt the presence of his dad.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 AM

20,956 posts, read 28,491,085 times
The night my dad passed in 2004 my brother did not know he had passed and was laying in bed and saw my dad who told him to please take care of my mom. 2 minutes later we called to tell him he died.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,758,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Insurance doesn't cover "spiritual talks with the dead" sadly
The counselor/therapist would be far more costly in copays for visits then one trip to the psychic.

Hmmmm...what is the ICD-9 code for "Hearing disembodied voices"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island