Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM

662 posts, read 1,071,636 times

Advertisements

The Gallery at Westbury Plaza - Welcome

Expected opening date is next fall. Has this been discussed? Off Saks and Nordstrom Rack are relocatiing from the Source Mall which can't be good (no Fortunoff there anymore). More traffic for an already congested Old Country Road?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 AM

3,939 posts, read 9,006,448 times
So... since there are 2 malls already, they want to make a third?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 AM

322 posts, read 941,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
The Gallery at Westbury Plaza - Welcome

Expected opening date is next fall. Has this been discussed? Off Saks and Nordstrom Rack are relocatiing from the Source Mall which can't be good (no Fortunoff there anymore). More traffic for an already congested Old Country Road?
I couldn't access the link. Where are they going to build this, where the old Avis building was on Old Country Rd?

And is there anything left at the Source Mall? Personally, with how congested that area is, they should tear the Source down (except for Cheesecake Factory and PF Changs) and put in a large hotel with a bar/lounge/nightclub. Add a whole fleet of shuttle buses for transportation around the area (Roosevelt Field, Eisenhower Park, Nassau Coliseum, restaurants, shops, etc) and to/from airports and train stations. Then build an elevated walkway across Merchants Concourse and upgrade the Exxon station to a large mini-mart. or build the walkway across Old Country Rd so people can actually cross it in general. Are you listening, Hilton or Hyatt?

Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM

236 posts, read 476,313 times
The Avis Building is already down and construction on the Gallery is underway.

This seemed to fly under the radar a few months ago. I remember Kate Murray came out of her Coliseum hiding to laud this project as a great boon to Nassau.

Last edited by PC51; 08-17-2011 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM

662 posts, read 1,071,636 times
It looks like The Container Store & Trader Joe's will also be located here.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:12 PM

13,074 posts, read 18,333,702 times
Don't know about the Container Store for sure but I can confirm that Trader Joes will be there.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,972,039 times
The site has been an eyesore for a very long time (Thomasville too - the lot is always empty - who shops there anyway?). I don't really understand why the Fortunoff site is "left for dead" but this place is being built up, but that's fine. Traffic has always been bad there, but from the looks of the video, it won't be as big as the Fortunoff's site so it's not really going to be all that much worse than it was before.

The more life there is, the better, in my opinion... seems for some people, dead is bad, and building up is bad... I don't get it.

Now what are they doing to the Coliseum?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:36 PM

22,769 posts, read 37,104,340 times
The Source Mall can't possibly survive if it loses two more major retailers, can it? The place was always a ghost town even when Fortunoff was there. What a poorly designed mall that is too - can't walk across the lower level, you have to go upstairs and then come back down.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:39 PM

3,939 posts, read 9,006,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The Source Mall can't possibly survive if it loses two more major retailers, can it? The place was always a ghost town even when Fortunoff was there. What a poorly designed mall that is too - can't walk across the lower level, you have to go upstairs and then come back down.
I am honestly surprised it has lasted this long. Even McDonalds pulled out of there..

Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 PM

613 posts, read 2,109,273 times
I was wondering..."Why the heck would they create a 3rd mall when one of the other 2 is failing badly?" Now it seems I sorta got my answer: they're pretty sure they'll put the final nail in The Source's coffin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island