Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:35 AM

8 posts, read 23,483 times

Advertisements

Here is my update after two and a half years. I had moved to Long Island @ Jericho to avoid the commute. Life was good - took me 10-15 mins to get to work. Last summer I moved back to City on UES - 70th. The commute to Melville has not been bad. I take Queensboro bridge with LIE and it takes me 40/45 mins the morning and close to 55/60 mins to come back. I start around 6:30am in the morning and leave office around 4:15pm. Reverse commute is not bad. Worse has been 1:30 mins on the bad snow day in Feb this year, happened only once.
As far as parking, I tried street for a month and its too much of a hassle. Daily commuter has to take a garage- that money is worth the peace of mind.
Anyone considering reverse commute to LI should be positive that it’s not a bad deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 05:58 AM

883 posts, read 3,732,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namesake78 View Post
Here is my update after two and a half years. I had moved to Long Island @ Jericho to avoid the commute. Life was good - took me 10-15 mins to get to work. Last summer I moved back to City on UES - 70th. The commute to Melville has not been bad. I take Queensboro bridge with LIE and it takes me 40/45 mins the morning and close to 55/60 mins to come back. I start around 6:30am in the morning and leave office around 4:15pm. Reverse commute is not bad. Worse has been 1:30 mins on the bad snow day in Feb this year, happened only once.
As far as parking, I tried street for a month and its too much of a hassle. Daily commuter has to take a garage- that money is worth the peace of mind.
Anyone considering reverse commute to LI should be positive that it’s not a bad deal.
Glad your are having a good commute! Melville to the city *is* surprisingly quick & easy when you time it right...

Old 02-14-2015, 04:38 PM

1 posts, read 803 times
Thanks for the update - that was informative. I wonder what it would be if you left Mellville later than 4:15 pm. That seems early for most corporate jobs. If you left at 6:30 pm for example, how long would it take?

Also, how much are you paying for parking? I know there are some, not many, cheap places like $300 a month, but those parking lots are in inconvenient locations.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 AM

8 posts, read 23,483 times
Average commute time from Melville to Van Dam st (Last exit of LIE for QB bridge) or East 35th (end of mid town tunnel) is 40 to 55 mins. I have started between 3:00 to 5:30pm and the story is same. I am sure post 6:30 it will be much easy but not too different. Every day is slightly different. Most traffic you will find at the sections where other highways join LIE (Cross Island, Grand central etc), mostly after HOV lane ends. It takes me next 15/25 mins to reach East 67th st & 2nd ave where I park after that. If you are uptown then bridge is the best option and tunnel is waste of money as it takes same time via both routes.
Parking is tricky. I had used $300 Icon parking and experience was very bad. I have been using Quik park which is around $400, they are good, No wait time. You get 8% discount as a Manhattan resident & half price parking at their other locations. In my experience those few dollars in parking makes a huge difference mentally and saves time.

Tip - Take northern state only to get to LIE, never all the way to Queens. HOV is trouble-free till Exit 39.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:20 PM

1 posts, read 395 times
Hi,
Sorry for necroposting, but if you're still on this forum, can you post an update?
Were you commuting via HOV at that point?

Why did you move to UES? You said that LI was fine, but you moved back to Manhattan with the car. You have to pay for your commute, city tax, living in UES is more expensive + $400 for a garage. I'm guessing it's like $1000/month more. I'm curious, nothing more.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island