Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:47 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,950,835 times

Advertisements

Based on this map shown and other factors http://sct-bus.org/links/030811_sct_systemmap.pdf tell me about weaknesses such as rush hr service reliability not enough highway lines ect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
They only run once an hour on average. They stop running after 6-7pm. They dont run on Sundays and Holidays.
And no metrocards. And that's what Nassau bus service is gonna look like in 2012 because the MTA is voting to dissolve LI Bus by Jan 1, 2012.
Suffolk Transit is useless, pretty much.
What they need to do is increase to 30 min headways on average, run till 11pm at night and ON SUNDAYS. Accepting metrocards would be nice too...

Old 04-22-2011, 01:29 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
If you need a bus on Lon island you don't deserve to live here... Move to NYC

Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
There are a couple of areas where the bus service is frequent enough that you can live without a car and depend on buses. The S1 and S92 run fairly frequently (though they don't have Sunday service), and a couple of the other routes run every 30 minutes.

You have to consider that NYC is one of the few transit-oriented cities in the USA. If you go out to an inner suburb in a city in Texas, you'll see that it is a lot like Long Island.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:45 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
That's fine, I will be doing that eventually, and I can sit back and watch the disaster unfold from somewhere else. Your statement is the typical attitude on LI and I'm sick of it. How come many parts of NJ and Westchester are more open to buses? Somehow if it were up to most LI'ers there wouldn't be any buses allowed except for Hampton Jitney.
Just dont come crying when businesses start leaving, you have to mow your own lawn and it takes 20 minutes to go a mile..

Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 PM

208 posts, read 492,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
eh if he was Illegal i whould Agree but im 99.9 % sure
hes Not

Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
There are a couple of areas where the bus service is frequent enough that you can live without a car and depend on buses. The S1 and S92 run fairly frequently (though they don't have Sunday service), and a couple of the other routes run every 30 minutes.

You have to consider that NYC is one of the few transit-oriented cities in the USA. If you go out to an inner suburb in a city in Texas, you'll see that it is a lot like Long Island.
ACTUALLY much worse!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM

551 posts, read 1,575,593 times
The most peculiar thing to me about LI public transit is that for the most part the large concentrations of local employment and other destinations (large office complexes, government buildings, shopping, schools, etc.) are not located near train stations. If you live and work on Long Island, it is unlikely that you would be able to use LIRR to conveniently commute to virtually any of the large employment centers.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
The most peculiar thing to me about LI public transit is that for the most part the large concentrations of local employment and other destinations (large office complexes, government buildings, shopping, schools, etc.) are not located near train stations. If you live and work on Long Island, it is unlikely that you would be able to use LIRR to conveniently commute to virtually any of the large employment centers.
did you read the map link in my first post??? dont the buses already go there directly???

Old 04-26-2011, 06:18 PM

551 posts, read 1,575,593 times
Busses are a poor primary option for mass transit -- there is relatively little "mass" in that transit. Manhattan has lots of bus routes; I have never been on any one of them in the 25 years I have lived here. But, for example, if all of the major office complexes like CA, Symbol, EAB Plaza, etc. were located adjacent to train stations, there might be 25,000 people on trains, instead of 25,000 cars, usually single occupants, on the LIE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island