Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:18 AM

13 posts, read 43,520 times

Advertisements

1) Everyone talks about how wonderful the Three Villages Schools are, in terms of SAT scores, etc. But what about for kids who receive special education services? Does anyone have firsthand knowledge about the quality special education services in the 3 V's?

2) The high school in the Three Villages district is HUGE. Do I need to be concerned about my child getting "lost in the shuffle" in such a huge high school? Particularly if my child is receiving special ed services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadnjam View Post
1) Everyone talks about how wonderful the Three Villages Schools are, in terms of SAT scores, etc. But what about for kids who receive special education services? Does anyone have firsthand knowledge about the quality special education services in the 3 V's?

2) The high school in the Three Villages district is HUGE. Do I need to be concerned about my child getting "lost in the shuffle" in such a huge high school? Particularly if my child is receiving special ed services?

3V is a great district but simply put SE is not a priority.
(Intel scholars are)

Perhaps things have changed since my day but most of the parent feedback Ive heard here seems to support my observations.

I do think you're better off in a smaller district but thats not always the case either.(PJ/MP comes to mind.)

As for larger districts with decent SE out that way,Sachem comes to mind. Not great but not bad, for smaller were very happy with SE in RP but budget cuts are a reality for all SDs right now.

Good luck

Crooks

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM

13 posts, read 43,520 times
I know that PJ is port jefferson, but what is MP? Miller Place? I wondered about Mount Sinai too, but I have seen some negative posts about cliques, etc.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
I am in the 3V and there are a number of children who are autistic in inclusion classes in the elementary schools. My knowledge is extremely limited as I do not have a child in need of SE.
Of the children I do know of -- some are in pull out programs in addition to their inclusion classes.

It is said that this district caters to the very bright and those in need of additional support leaving the midlings to fend for themselves. One of my children has graduated and I can say that I did witness that to some extent; the youngest is in elementary and the same has held true there, too.

The HS is large but the staff sizes are sufficient so that they aren't overwhelmed. One of my oldest's classmates had a learning disability and she was given the services she needed. I don't know what the dx was, but she was given an aide, had extra time for tests, was pulled out for certain things. She's in college now. One success story is all I can give first hand.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadnjam View Post
I know that PJ is port jefferson, but what is MP? Miller Place? I wondered about Mount Sinai too, but I have seen some negative posts about cliques, etc.
MP Miller Place

3V Three Village

RP Rocky Point

MS Mount Sinai

I dont know where SE is for MS but they too seem to play to the top.
Theyre definitely interested in a better story since the Supt is clearing 400k

Ive heard SWR has decent SE too but they are in some real financial pain.Can anyone offer anything for SE on Comsewogue?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM

342 posts, read 1,094,095 times
I'm in Mount Sinai with the very high supt salary (grrr!). He is retiring in a year, so we should get some relief then. I think SE is very dependant on what your child needs and which school your child is in currently (Elementary, MS, HS?). I would say that MS has good services for kids with high SE needs. However, if your child just needs "a little" help to meet their potential, I think you would be unhappy at MS. I've heard (but don't really know from personal experience) that as long as your child performs "average" even if they are above average intelligence with LDs, it is difficult to get services.

The high school has a wide range of children. There are very high performers and then there are a lot of "regular" kids. The school provides classes for everyone. It is a medium sized school so no one gets lost. We like it.

Last edited by flowergarden; 04-20-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
I'm in Mount Sinai with the very high supt sallary (grrr!). He is retiring in a year, so we should get some relief then. I think SE is very dependant on what your child needs and which school your child is in currently (Elementary, MS, HS?). I would say that MS has good services for kids with high SE needs. However, if your child just needs "a little" help to meet their potential, I think you would be unhappy at MS. I've heard (but don't really know from personal experience) that as long as your child performs "average" even if they are above average intelligence with LDs, it is difficult to get services.

The high school has a wide range of children. There are very high performers and then there are a lot of "regular" kids. The school provides classes for everyone. It is a medium sized school so no one gets lost. We like it.
Very good point.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
I'm in Mount Sinai with the very high supt salary (grrr!). He is retiring in a year, so we should get some relief then. I think SE is very dependant on what your child needs and which school your child is in currently (Elementary, MS, HS?). I would say that MS has good services for kids with high SE needs. However, if your child just needs "a little" help to meet their potential, I think you would be unhappy at MS. I've heard (but don't really know from personal experience) that as long as your child performs "average" even if they are above average intelligence with LDs, it is difficult to get services.

Unfortunately a tell-tale sign of a school lacking SE programs is when they can't help the most extreme. I heard Mount Sinai was average or slightly under, Comsewogue is about the same, I know first hand that MP is not good, Middle Country is a little better than average, and RP is very good. 3V I heard was below average but I don't know first hand.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Unfortunately a tell-tale sign of a school lacking SE programs is when they can't help the most extreme. I heard Mount Sinai was average or slightly under, Comsewogue is about the same, I know first hand that MP is not good, Middle Country is a little better than average, and RP is very good. 3V I heard was below average but I don't know first hand.
Whats up with MP these days? I hear that all the time.
I got a friend there now whos miserable trying to get help for their kid.
They graduated there and said it wasnt always like that. Did you grow up there too?

When we were in 3V it always played to the top and let the chips fall as they may.

Crooks

Old 04-22-2011, 08:05 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Whats up with MP these days? I hear that all the time.
I got a friend there now whos miserable trying to get help for their kid.
They graduated there and said it wasnt always like that. Did you grow up there too?

When we were in 3V it always played to the top and let the chips fall as they may.

Crooks
Crooks,
I went to Comsewogue and graduated in the late 80's. Alot of my friends are principals or administrators for a bunch of districts. Miller Place WAS a solid school back in the day but not now. If you are a typical child it still is good but if you are a special needs child, they try to send you out of the district for services which is disgusting! Alot of the districts have changed. Sachem used to be one of the elites and they too are average now. 3V is still considered a good school but it sems to fall into a simliar( but not as bad) category as MP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island