Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 18,553 times

Advertisements

That situation in East Islip should be a wake up call for all Long Islanders. You and only you are responsible for protecting your family. The police won't save you. You have been blinded and you are walking around oblivious to the world that exists around you. With the economic conditions the way they are today and the middle class evaporating, you are going to have a situation in the future with more have nots that haves. That breeds resentment, crime, and greater tension in society. I also read a case study that during periods of high inflation , crimes increases dramatically because people on the lower end can no longer afford basic necessities so they are driven to crime often out of desperation. Here in Colorado, the politicians are somewhat afraid of their constituents because people in general are more involved in their communities, and are also armed to a far greater degree than LIers. It's obvious that the people you elect locally don't fear or respect you. Fear is only present because of lack of education. I urge my ex fellow Long Islanders to at the least take a gun safety course at your local range. It will open your eyes, give you a greater understanding of the founding of this great nation, and a greater appreciation for the freedom we have to protect our loved ones for the type of world we will be living in for years to come. What if that man in East Islip wasn't armed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
If he wasn't armed,who knows? You would have to take all the break ins and see the end result. There have been many times as well when kids shot their siblings as well. Gun control is a tough one. In suffolk county and maybe all of new york it can take anywhere from 8-12 months to go through background checks to get the right to own a gun.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM

29 posts, read 39,779 times
I would agree... ARM YOURSELVES, PEOPLE!!! Where I am from, I always go out armed (I carry a 9mm and a 45...). Can never be too sure. So, really, go out and take a class...be open to it... I think the issue with gun control is that it opens up more crime because of how rare it is. Again, where I am from, everyone and their brother carrys a weapon.

And then, eat a hot dog!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs | What kind of kids eat Armour Hot Dogs? | Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks | Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox | love hot dogs, Armour Hot Dogs | The dogs kids love to bite!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavito View Post
That situation in East Islip should be a wake up call for all Long Islanders. You and only you are responsible for protecting your family. The police won't save you. You have been blinded and you are walking around oblivious to the world that exists around you. With the economic conditions the way they are today and the middle class evaporating, you are going to have a situation in the future with more have nots that haves. That breeds resentment, crime, and greater tension in society. I also read a case study that during periods of high inflation , crimes increases dramatically because people on the lower end can no longer afford basic necessities so they are driven to crime often out of desperation. Here in Colorado, the politicians are somewhat afraid of their constituents because people in general are more involved in their communities, and are also armed to a far greater degree than LIers. It's obvious that the people you elect locally don't fear or respect you. Fear is only present because of lack of education. I urge my ex fellow Long Islanders to at the least take a gun safety course at your local range. It will open your eyes, give you a greater understanding of the founding of this great nation, and a greater appreciation for the freedom we have to protect our loved ones for the type of world we will be living in for years to come. What if that man in East Islip wasn't armed?

Your first couple of sentences are logical and agreeable. After that, you sound like one of those bearded, mushroom soup eating nut jobs that lives up in the New Hampsha mountains.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:42 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_HOTDOGS View Post
I would agree... ARM YOURSELVES, PEOPLE!!! Where I am from, I always go out armed (I carry a 9mm and a 45...). Can never be too sure. So, really, go out and take a class...be open to it... I think the issue with gun control is that it opens up more crime because of how rare it is. Again, where I am from, everyone and their brother carrys a weapon.

And then, eat a hot dog!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hot dogs, Armour hot dogs | What kind of kids eat Armour Hot Dogs? | Fat kids, skinny kids, kids who climb on rocks | Tough kids, sissy kids, even kids with chicken pox | love hot dogs, Armour Hot Dogs | The dogs kids love to bite!

You should always carry a 9 AND 45 because you never know which one you will need.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM

29 posts, read 39,779 times
Exactly, the 45 is on the ankle and the 9 is on the hip!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Yes. Alot of LI'ers fear guns. But its not really their fault. There is not alot of places to shoot or hunt out here so most folks were not raised around guns. On the other hand being from Pennsylvania its the direct opposite. Alot of folks hunt at 12 years old.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:53 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,386 times
i'm not afraid of guns... just bullets

Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
You should always carry a 9 AND 45 because you never know which one you will need.
why not a 10 and a 46? You know...in case you need the extra firepower.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:32 AM

294 posts, read 610,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
why not a 10 and a 46? You know...in case you need the extra firepower.
Absolutely...just like those folks that need to have their amps go up to 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island