Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 04:48 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,719,136 times

Advertisements

And some who have a microsoft certification can't speak or type better than 14 year old...but they can have a gun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM

958 posts, read 1,109,836 times
First of all lets not make this a race issue. [ read the posts]. Second some the comments here prove many here have no idea about the use of firearems [ Bullets ! A bullet is a piece of metal, nothing more. Children shooting each other. WRONG look up the facts.} And then there is
the 45 is on the ankle and the 9 is on the hip!. Right, sure you do. Think you ment that the other way around .45ACP would be to large to wear on your ankle . Prove me wrong please.
Lets face it, If the Man did not have a firearm many more would be DEAD

Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 PM

939 posts, read 2,314,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long island POSTER View Post
i have a fear of being shot by firearms sometimes. mostly if i am near a "lirr" station, or if i cant figure out my gps and end up getting lost in a non-"upper middle class" neighbrhood. i rmembr when i wuz trying 2 get my microsoft office certification so i could bcome an "administrative" assistent i had 2 go 2 this totally scary building in east meadow (my hubby calss it "east ghetoo" lol.) and it was next 2 a deli with foreign language signs in the window. i think it wuz a "bodega". ne way, i wuz 2 sketched out 2 go back after the first time. i knew sooner or l8r i would b shot or mugged or even WORSE

on the other hand, i do not like when ppl are too "into" guns. do u kno wut i mean? i dont want 2 live in an ethnic crime neighbrhood but i dont want 2 live in a neighbrhood where there r 2 many "dale earnhardt" bumper stickrs. that does not portray an "upper imddle class" desirability
what's with all the random quotation marks?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:49 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,128,082 times
I believe most fear of firearms comes from not knowing them, how they work, and how they can be used in a safe manner.

This why I strongly believe firearms safety classes are very, very important. I also believe that government should, and has a duty, to encourage private ownership of firearms rather than curtailing their ownership. The 2nd Amendment is the key to protecting our liberties, and as such all Americans should own at least 1 firearm (preferably a rifle or a shotgun).

Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,782,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I do agree that usually when a kid shoots another it is because of a negligent owner but it does happen, and it happens more than a break-in/murder situation. Mind you, i'm a veteran (air force) and not against gun ownership but I do think laws should be strict and people should be scrutinized in their purchases.
Legitimate gun purchasers are already scrutinzed extensively. How much stricter do you want gun laws? It's a slippery slope. Give them an inch...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
what's with all the random quotation marks?
That, and the absurd obsession with upper middle class as well as trying to make things into some sort of race issue.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:12 PM

939 posts, read 2,314,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
Bullets ! A bullet is a piece of metal, nothing more.
lighten up francis... it was a joke ... we know what a bullet is made of ...

Old 04-15-2011, 07:22 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,481,284 times
Ohh god, make it stop. Well, time to bust out some facts.

Quote:
If he wasn't armed,who knows? You would have to take all the break ins and see the end result. There have been many times as well when kids shot their siblings as well. Gun control is a tough one. In suffolk county and maybe all of new york it can take anywhere from 8-12 months to go through background checks to get the right to own a gun.
Long Guns takes filling out a 4473 form and calling the NICS hotline for a background check. Then you can either be OK'd and buy on the spot, held for up to 72 hours (usually if you have a name similar to a felon), or denied.

Hand guns are the bane though, its a 6mo process to get your permit, that is just home and range mind you god forbid you carry and are actually able to defend yourself. On top of the 6mo its a few hundred dollars. Then on top of that you need to bring the gun in for "inspection", hurray for nazi-styled controls!

Quote:
I do agree that usually when a kid shoots another it is because of a negligent owner but it does happen, and it happens more than a break-in/murder situation. Mind you, i'm a veteran (air force) and not against gun ownership but I do think laws should be strict and people should be scrutinized in their purchases.
You need to educate yourself on the facts of the situation sir/maam. Your ideas and completely INCORRECT and your findings reek of something coming from the Brady Campaign for Dumb Gun Laws or McCarthy's nonsense.

275,400,000 guns owned in the US estimated (enough for 90% of the population.
1,500,000 times a gun is used in self defense.
600 times a year (est) a gun kills someone accidently. (Negligent discharge).

So you are just a mere 2,500 times off from being correct.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
And some who have a microsoft certification can't speak or type better than 14 year old...but they can have a gun
They're hunt and peck typing with their PPK.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,423,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They're hunt and peck typing with their PPK.
me like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island