Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 38,099 times

Advertisements

I understand that there are about 3 black people in LI (alright, I'm exaggerating) -- but in any case the percentages are very low so I'm assuming the demographics of this board match the demographics of the island. I'm a well-educated black professional and considering moving to LI for a job. Previously, I've lived in mostly white suburban environments and have never really encountered significant racism from neighbors or colleagues. Do you all think I'd be treated normally in LI or encounter issues? Are more affluent neighborhoods more or less tolerant? If you had a black friend who could afford to live in LI, would you tell them to move there or to avoid it (or certain areas)?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 AM

330 posts, read 725,999 times
There are a few areas of LI that have a significant non white population and are also nice neighborhoods. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, most of the majority black neighborhoods are not in great shape. But, places like Valley Stream, Elmont, parts of Hempstead, Westbury, Freeport are very integrated and also have sections that are very nice. Some parts of LI like Massapequa are almost 100% white and, in my opinion, not very welcoming of different people. But, most parts of white LI are not overtly racist and I doubt you would have much problem anywhere on the island. And most of the racism here is more of a novelty type thing than a hate thing (as in most white people on LI have very little interaction with different races, but are welcoming of them, so I don't know if that qualifies as racism). So you might get extra attention from the neighbors but it will most likely be friendly.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
There are a few areas of LI that have a significant non white population and are also nice neighborhoods. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, most of the majority black neighborhoods are not in great shape. But, places like Valley Stream, Elmont, parts of Hempstead, Westbury, Freeport are very integrated and also have sections that are very nice. Some parts of LI like Massapequa are almost 100% white and, in my opinion, not very welcoming of different people. But, most parts of white LI are not overtly racist and I doubt you would have much problem anywhere on the island. And most of the racism here is more of a novelty type thing than a hate thing (as in most white people on LI have very little interaction with different races, but are welcoming of them, so I don't know if that qualifies as racism). So you might get extra attention from the neighbors but it will most likely be friendly.
Expand on the part in bold please.

IMO, the only color that matters to most people these days is GREEN. If you can afford the house many people don't mind who lives in their neighborhood.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
It's funny how easily you can make out people who really don't know much about LI... They talk about "in" LI when we all know that people live on LI.

I don't think I've even heard a native LIer use "in" - ever.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:58 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeseed2010 View Post
I understand that there are about 3 black people in LI (alright, I'm exaggerating) -- but in any case the percentages are very low so I'm assuming the demographics of this board match the demographics of the island. I'm a well-educated black professional and considering moving to LI for a job. Previously, I've lived in mostly white suburban environments and have never really encountered significant racism from neighbors or colleagues. Do you all think I'd be treated normally in LI or encounter issues? Are more affluent neighborhoods more or less tolerant? If you had a black friend who could afford to live in LI, would you tell them to move there or to avoid it (or certain areas)?
I'm black and a lifetime resident of Long Island.

Honestly, if I had a black friend who was moving to Long Island, I would either tell them to stick with the handful of nice black neighborhoods such as Wheatley Heights, "Belmont Estates" (northernmost part of West Babylon) and Lakeview for example, or the neighborhoods in Southeastern Queens (which I know is not technically on "Long Island"). Or to stick with the mixed neighborhoods like North Valley Stream, East Massapequa, Deer Park and a few others.

A lot of Long Islanders are closet-racists (this site being a great example) and not very welcoming to you at all. Yes, they may smile to your face but behind you're back they're probably whining and contemplating moving because they're afraid you will destroy their property values, etc. Id something bad happens in the area then a lot will first suspect you of being responsible for it. (Not ALL are racist but a lot are.)

This is really no surprise if you look at the history of Long Island, back in the 60's when much of Long Island was booming, developers (such as Levitt) didn't want to sell to minorities. Most people on Long Island have roots in NYC which is another place segregated by race, so a lot of people brought their habits to the Island (which probably has to do with the fact that Nassau got rated as the number one most segregated suburb on the island)

Most affluent neighborhoods are actually more tolerant of other races, believe it or not. This is because that a rich neighborhood will always likely be rich so it doesn't feel threatened of a large racial shift in population, etc, a more middle class area is more succeptable to a racial shift because it is more affordable.

I'm not a fan of segregation, but for your own personal satisfaction and comfort and taking into account Long Islands long history of racism, I would recommend you stick to places where you will 'blend in' easier.

(BTW: There are more Blacks and other minorities than you may think on Long Island.)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-14-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:07 AM

This is quite helpful.. thank you so much! What about West Babylon? What's that like?

Old 12-14-2010, 10:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapeseed2010 View Post
This is quite helpful.. thank you so much! What about West Babylon? What's that like?
West Babylon is a very huge town (hamlet), the majority of West Babylon is a middle/working class White neighborhood.

But what many people don't know is that there is a fairly large part of West Babylon located north of the Southern State Parkway, west of Belmont Lake State Park, East of Straight Path and South of Cumberbach and Wyandanch Avenue that is mostly made up of middle class and upper middle black professionals. (Most people come to the conclusion that it's just another ghetto not only because of it's proximately to Wyandanch [a lower-income area] but because a lot of properties directly on the main roads are rental properties and/or poorly maintained, but once you get off of them and venture into the side streets it gets really nice with large homes, properties and well-maintained lawns.)

I live in the area and I love it. Many people also refer to it as Belmont Lake Estates or West Babadanch. One weird thing about it is that most people think they are in North Babylon because most fall into that School District, but it's actually in West Babylon (because of the Postal and Mailing Address/Zip Code).

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-14-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
I live in Deer Park (Black and consider my self professional)and I will say that I do know the neighborhood that LongislandPerson speaks of but I like Deer Park. Like any neighborhood people can be a little strange but I like the area. I have three young kids and I think there is enough diversity there for them to be well rounded.

Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Thanks so much - I really appreciate your perspective!

Old 12-14-2010, 11:17 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,209 times
Please give us more detailed info so we can better help you with specifics. What is the general area of your job prospect? Are you now living in NY metro area? or where have been the majority white suburbs you lived in? and Are you looking for that again, or a neighborhood that has more of a racial balance? Give us your price range, and someone here could probably point you in the right direction and comment on everything related to racial balance for you. In general, there is a lot more advanced crime these days in certain areas, and i'm not just talking about those predominantly black. There are many more illegals living very close to nice, mainly white neighborhoods running up violent crime. School districts are extremely important, so even though East Massapequa, Copiague, Hempstead are more racially balanced, check the school reports and they're not ranked high. That means resale could be tough, and lower price points may mean not having a lot of professionals, black or white in the area. So, tell us what are you specifically looking for and we can guide you to a place on LI. JM2C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island