Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:57 PM

176 posts, read 729,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Be respectful to those around you, keep your house maintained, just be a normal person and you will have no problems on LI. Now if you want to be that guy blasting music at 2 am Im sure you will run into problems, as you would anywhere.
What is a normal person? Is it only blacks that blast their music? If you think long and hard you will find that can be anyone. The difference is a white person will do it and no one will think anything of it but if a black person does it they are ghetto or gangs or murders? You dont have a stigma you can move any where and you are not targeted for the color of your skin so you will never understand what it is like for someone who if they move in a neighborhood God forbid they do something everyone one else does and there are considered unlivable.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:10 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Would I move if three black families moved on my block? I honestly don't know. I might think of it but if they maintained their property and were middle class and didnt attract ghettos around them, I would not have a problem.

I would just like to ask how many neighborhoods, towns, or whatever have actually been "improved" when blacks moved in? Westbury? Brentwood? Uniondale? Freeport? I think there is a reasonable concern when blacks move into a predominantly white area. And also...how many areas have been improved when whites move back in.....perhaps none here yet in Long Island but areas of Brooklyn have become high end neighborhoods again when the yuppies of the 80s and hipsters of the 2000s started moving back in.

It's real nice to be so liberal when you have only lived on white Long Island all your life. Those who advocate diversity don't know what it's like to live diversity
The fact three black families moving in would give you reason to think of moving is extremely repulsive.

Something tells me you would have less of a problem with a few white families from Mastic Beach moving in than you would with a few black families from Wheatley Heights (whose income is close to twice that of Mastic Beach)

Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veve0308 View Post
Lucky for you, you can live any where you please and not have to worry about being accepted.
What??! That is about the most delusional thing I've seen on this board in a while. Racism ain't a one way street. Case n point: Howard Stern or any white family living in Hempstead/Roosevelt. Please...

Old 12-14-2010, 04:41 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Just to bring perspective to all of this, I grew up as one of the few Black kids in my grade at a very good suburban school in Upstate NY. My dad was a pastor and my mom worked as well. We kept our home and property neat. 6 of the 7 kids went to college and so on. We still weren't immune to racism and prejudice though. Heck, I remember times when White kids would question my "authenticity" because I didn't fit into some stereotype or didn't have a certain style. It wasn't that I wasn't hip to what was going on, but I knew how to carry myself. So, I totally understand the concern of Black folks that move to an area on Long Island. Don't get me wrong, I'd say that most of the kids were cool, but I think people are naive to such experiences, because many times these Black folks don't say much about it or have the mindset of an NFL cornerback and just move on quickly. For example, it would be interesting to see the demeanor of some folks when I tell them where I went to school or where I live. There's almost like there's a "he's a good Black" sigh of relief. So, some, even if they are nice, might have certain expectations.

Also, Black people have always been on Long Island, as many Blacks were actually enslaved there and communities like Lakeview have had their share of Black folks since the early part of the 20th century. I found out about Lakeview because there is a book called Up South by Malaika Adero that talks about how Rockville Centre(but I'm thinking it was talking about Lakeview) , along with Mineola, Glen Cove, Hempstead and Freeport got many Black folks from the South between 1910 and 1920 due to spillover from NYC. This article in this book also said that Nassau and Suffolk Counties had 33 Black(actually says colored)churches, with 25 being owned by the people of the community in 20 towns and villages between 8 and 10,000 people. 42% of these folks migrated to these places between 1910 and 1920. This is from an article in that book that was written in 1925. So, the history of Black communities on Long Island goes back further than many of the other communities in terms of culture and locales themselves.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM

283 posts, read 581,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
All true but let's not be naive either. How about the black guy in jail right now for protecting his kid and home from the angry white rich kids who chased his son home. Turns out his kid didn't 'dis' that girl after all. Ooops, sorry.

Puhleeze. LI is as racist as it gets. My guess is in 90% of neighborhoods as soon as a black family moves in at least one or two white families start looking to sell. It's nothing new. It's classic NY history.

The reason the Asian families do OK is:
1. They make more money than the white families on the block, drive nicer cars and their kids get better grades.
2. They do not face the same stigma as Blacks do of being "neighborhood wreckers" and are in fact seen as the new pursuers of the middle class American dream that everyone can relate to. Joking aside, they are perceived to have the correct "values" and usually do.

Also in fairness. The black population in NY has not shown as strong an inclination to share in the American dream, consistently blaming it on racism, lack of educational opportunites, etc. If minorities can come here with pennies in their pockets and achieve middle class status in 1 or 2 generations, maybe it's time African Americans stop the excuses and do the same after 5 and 6 generations. The playing field is equal enough. It's who has the will and desire to achieve. Lots of white folks falling behind too.
I agree w/ everything said

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Also, this website: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is good for looking at school info. including test scores and demographics. Just go to NY, click on search by address and then search by the county you want. School districts like Deer Park, Half Hollow Hills, North Babylon and maybe even Malverne and Baldwin might workfor the OP.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM

Also, this website: GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community is good for looking at school info. including test scores and demographics. Just go to NY, click on search by address and then search by the county you want. School districts like Deer Park, Half Hollow Hills, North Babylon and maybe even Malverne and Baldwin might work for the OP. I'm sure there are some others I'm forgetting. Depending upon your price range, Roslyn or Manhasset might work too.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:04 PM

8 posts, read 38,099 times
Thanks for your input! Do you know if there are any nice or "luxury" apartment complexes in Deer Park?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
I agree w/ everything said
We also have to be careful to put all "minorities" in 1 pot, as not all groups have the same socio-historical experience in this country either. Even Asians have a higher overall poverty rate and some Asian groups(especially from SE Asia) have poverty rates that rival almost some of the poorest groups in the country. So, even within general groups, you have to be careful. Even the size of groups has to be considered too(i.e.-Asians are only 4-5% of the U.S. population). Same with when and how people arrive is another thing to think about. So, it's just not as simple as people think it is.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
grapeseed2010, you can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island