Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:39 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,788,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Where is there a large police presence? Not at the 34th street station of the NRW, nor the 59st station of the NRW, nor the 95th st Bay Ridge station which is where I've seen all of this. I've seen a guy and a girl clearly shooting up on the R to Brooklyn.

I used to live in Mastic Shirley and never saw a single rat, and a "BO problem" is putting it mildly. Month old urine, hot garbage.

At Penn station you can't help but notice the armed forces that patrol. I see the police on and off trains and on stations all over the Bronx UWS and UES stations.This is my accounts from the 456 lines and now I'm using the 123 to get to Manhattan Valley for work. Maybe they have neglected Brooklyn but I doubt it.

When I was a cabbie out in Mastic just out of sheer boredom waiting for a fare I'd watch the rats run across the station (not the platform) but as I said the worse offender was Ronkonkoma. I would stand on the platform and see rats by the tracks like you see at the underground subway stations. I was told Mineola also has this problem but I've never seen them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 09:41 AM

5,478 posts, read 5,761,848 times
Quote:
Where is there a large police presence? Not at the 34th street station of the NRW, nor the 59st station of the NRW, nor the 95th st Bay Ridge station which is where I've seen all of this. I've seen a guy and a girl clearly shooting up on the R to Brooklyn.

I used to live in Mastic Shirley and never saw a single rat, and a "BO problem" is putting it mildly. Month old urine, hot garbage.
Come on man, you're biased as hell. Month old urine? Please...
Subway cars are bleached DAILY. The only valid criticism is the bums sleeping and the BO. People urinating in the corner of the car, feces on the platform , bum fights (I have never even SEEN 2 bums sharing the same car before, much less fighting eachother)... come on man.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:52 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,433,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Subway cars are bleached DAILY. The only valid criticism is the bums sleeping and the BO. People urinating in the corner of the car, feces on the platform , bum fights (I have never even SEEN 2 bums sharing the same car before, much less fighting eachother)... come on man.
Really? I'm biased? I lived in BK for several years and seen all of it. You're trying to tell me when you walk onto a car you've never been hit in the face with the overpowering smell of urine? On the 34th NRW line platform I have seen a giant pile of feces which could only be human. Who's really biased?

Old 11-26-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
At Penn station you can't help but notice the armed forces that patrol. I see the police on and off trains and on stations all over the Bronx UWS and UES stations.This is my accounts from the 456 lines and now I'm using the 123 to get to Manhattan Valley for work. Maybe they have neglected Brooklyn but I doubt it.

When I was a cabbie out in Mastic just out of sheer boredom waiting for a fare I'd watch the rats run across the station (not the platform) but as I said the worse offender was Ronkonkoma. I would stand on the platform and see rats by the tracks like you see at the underground subway stations. I was told Mineola also has this problem but I've never seen them there.
Again please go down to the 34th platform for the NRW and you'll nary see a uniformed body.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I've seen bum fights at Coram plaza and the Walmart shopping center in Centereach but I've never seen that happen in the city. Take the underground passage at Mineola and Bay Shore in the Summmer if you want to enjoy the smell of old urine. They should close those passageways.

My GF now lives at the Pelham bay Park end of the 6 train and is frustrating having to wait for the cleaning crew to finish bleaching the cars down before they are sent out on their run. I guess it a good thing because people are disgusting especially their kids.

I still haven't seen anyone pee on the trains but I have seen men pee on the tracks at both subway and more often LIRR stations.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Again please go down to the 34th platform for the NRW and you'll nary see a uniformed body.
That station does not connect with Penn Station as the 123 and ACE do so I don't use it but I'm shocked that they would neglect it because many tourist I'm sure utilize that station.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
That station does not connect with Penn Station as the 123 and ACE do so I don't use it but I'm shocked that they would neglect it because many tourist I'm sure utilize that station.
It's right across the street from Penn.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's right across the street from Penn.

LOL! I'm afraid of the sunlight.

I don't use those lines and when I go to Brooklyn I use the F train. My haunts are Boerum Hill and Carroll Gardens. I've only driven around Bay Ridge. I wasn't aware that it was a bad area or there were issues with its subway stops untill your post. I'll make a point to visit that hood in my spare time to see the horrors.

Last edited by 1nevets; 11-26-2010 at 11:00 AM..

Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,944,191 times
Quote:
Both Metro North and NJT seem to be better runned outfits than the LIRR. They are also better comparisons than comparing a suburban commuter rail to a city subway system.
The LIRR has always been a terrible RR if you look back at its history , MNRR and NJT have always been better except for the lines shared with Amtrak. The MTA has made the LIRR form bad to worst.

Old 11-27-2010, 10:00 AM

38 posts, read 77,040 times
Quote:
Really? I'm biased? I lived in BK for several years and seen all of it. You're trying to tell me when you walk onto a car you've never been hit in the face with the overpowering smell of urine? On the 34th NRW line platform I have seen a giant pile of feces which could only be human. Who's really biased?
I live on Long Island, and have worked in NYC for 30 years. I don't take the subway on a regular basis, but do enough to know that the idea that you are hit by the "overpowering stench of urine" on numerous subway cars is a typical urban legend of somebody who lives on Long Island and who shows how much they hate New York by dishing out all these nonsensical tales. OK, maybe you saw feces once; the idea that it is a regular part of the subway system is baloney, pure and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island