Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 08:31 PM

175 posts, read 638,162 times

Advertisements

So I guess it's that time of the year again...went to do a load of laundry tonight and realized the sewer line had backed up. Usually happens to us about every couple of years when we don't keep up on the rootkill.

Anyway, my usual sewer guys were unavailable tonight so I picked another name out of the phone book to come clean out our sewer. They show up and claim they can't unclog it, that I need to use a water jet to get at it, because it's all sand and dirt. They want $1200, which my husband and I balked at. They said if it didn't work that we wouldn't have to pay anything, because it would mean the pipe had collapsed (of which I was a little skeptical).

Anyway, I said forget it, they found another bit and lo and behold managed to somehow unclog it (although they cautioned it might not be unclogged enough).

Should I have someone else come in and take another look? Just worried it might not be unclogged enough. Or were these guys trying to take me for a ride? And any recommendations for good guys in Nassau/Queens would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM

126 posts, read 522,678 times
I could recommend a plumber that recently changed my main house trap. I had a similar situation as you a few weeks ago. My main drain line had backed up, so i called the first company that came up on the phone book: rotor rooter. Stay away from this company at all cost. They're business model is simply to rip you off once even if you never call them back. I understand just about anyone that can operate basic tools can drive a rotor rooter truck and play "plumber." Anyway, they came and told me i needed a new trap after they had charged me $ 399 to clear the line. The first rotor rooter dude wanted $ 2800. A second guy came back with sewer camera checked both lines, the line to the house and to the street and suggested i change a section of pipe outside the house that was "orange burg." i saw some small roots into the line. To do this job, that is the trap and replace this section of pipe which required excavation he wanted close to $5k. I ended up getting a referal through a coworker for a master plumber who was able to change the main house trap in less than 2 1/2 for about 1k. I didn't change the outside pipe as the plumber i hired looked down the line while the trap was out and saw the pipe was in fair condition. He said there was no orange burg there and that everything seemed fine outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island