Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 08:21 AM

21 posts, read 23,392 times

Advertisements

I am enamored by cities, how they work, and how they are used by the people who live/work in them.

I am currently working toward a Masters in Landscape Architecture at a university in the US. With my final year approaching, I am required by my department to complete an international design studio and self chosen final project in order to graduate. Students in our program usually attend our College of Design's Ghana or Prague Institute to help facilitate the international requirement. Because I can never seem to 'play by the book' so to speak, I decided that I'd rather forgo having the same experience as my peers and pursue a Urban Design degree in London (possibly at the University of Westminster). When I return home to the states, I would graduate from my department with something of a dual degree in Landscape Architecture and Urban Design.

Years of (American) design school has taught me that when it comes to cities, Europe and Asia are doing it right. I think going to school in London would provide an amazing opportunity to learn city design in the European context.

A lot of Urban Design programs here in the states heavily emphasize revitalizing once forgotten urban centers and reacting to/mitigating the suburban sprawl that has been plaguing our country since the advent of mass production for the automobile and the interstate highway system. With great optimism I'm hoping that when applied to the American context, the education I could receive in the UK could help to create livable communities and break the chains of automobile dependency.

I realize that London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in, which is why I hope my educational and prior work experience would help me qualify for one of Westminster's international scholarships( full ride, tuition only or half-tuition). I plan on pursuing a Urban Design degree whether it's from a university abroad or at a domestic university located in a nearby city. After comparing the budget prepared by the finances office at Westminster for international students, I discovered that after tuition, housing, and personal expenses the second choice school in the US would only be 20% cheaper than the a year in London. If I'm fortunate enough to be accepted to Westminster but have to pay out of pocket, I figure that extra 20% would be worth it for the European experience alone.

I welcome any thoughts or opinions on the matter, thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM

994 posts, read 1,240,626 times
London is a great city (I was born here, so I should know). There are lots of interesting things happening in terms of urban design. But there is also lots that seems to be about finding new showcases for big money, rather than making a better city for people. So it's a mixed bag. I can't comment on the courses available or on Uni of Westminster.

Have you considered the Netherlands? Many courses are taught in English, Dutch cities are at the forefront of the process of urban design you describe, and Rotterdam especially is regarded as a hotbed of innovative architecture.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:01 AM

21 posts, read 23,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George & Bill View Post
London is a great city (I was born here, so I should know). There are lots of interesting things happening in terms of urban design. But there is also lots that seems to be about finding new showcases for big money, rather than making a better city for people. So it's a mixed bag. I can't comment on the courses available or on Uni of Westminster.

Have you considered the Netherlands? Many courses are taught in English, Dutch cities are at the forefront of the process of urban design you describe, and Rotterdam especially is regarded as a hotbed of innovative architecture.
I was't aware that the Netherlands taught many courses in English, I'll check it out. The UK I chose specifically since there wouldn't be much of a language barrier.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:00 AM

16,738 posts, read 17,515,861 times
I used to work and train in the Netherlands and to my shame I don't speak and word of Dutch.

London sounds more prestigious than Ghana, and for all I know Prague too, though there is wonderful architecture there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London