Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,608,021 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Last year (September 2011- August 2012) I was lucky enough to take part in a year long study abroad programme in West London. I was on a tier 4 student visa, and managed to work in a pub for 8 months. I've come back to my University in the USA for my last year of my Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering. I am finally graduating in May, and have been trying to figure out how to get back to London. I have applied to many entry level engineering jobs in the greater London area, but alas, the visa issue seems to be insurmountable. I am well aware of the job situation in the UK, but i'm hoping that with a more highly specialized degree i'll have a bit more luck? Does anyone have any advice for a 23 year old, recent graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, and EIT certification (Engineer in Training - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), on how to go about getting back to the UK, short of marrying one of my English lady friends ? I know I could try to work for a multinational company here in the USA, and hope to get transferred, but that seems like a bit of a gamble that could end in a dead end. I'd really like to try to go back as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 AM

16,683 posts, read 17,455,385 times
Perhaps you could identify some good sized engineering companies that might suit you, and write to them directly?

I contacted a couple of companies directly in the past and they seem to like the proactive approach.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:56 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,909,200 times
Have you looked at the UK occupation shortage list? There are numerous specialities within the field of civil engineering that are in short supply. I think, realistically, you need to take a year or more to aquire one of those specialities. Only then will you have a reasonable chance of getting sponsorship for a work visa. See under 'related documents' here: UK Border Agency | How to employ migrants to do jobs on the shortage occupation list

Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM

Do I need a job offer to apply for the Tier 2 visa? Or can I apply for the visa, and then go find work in the UK?

Old 03-28-2013, 03:50 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,909,200 times
The way it works is: you find a company who wants to employ you then they apply for your visa. You need to do this from your home country - you cannot go as a tourist and change status in-country. You could go on a brief trip to the UK for an interview but these days that would probably be conducted via video/phone etc. In theory, you can get a job even if it's not on the shortage list but the company would have to prove they could not find any suitable person in the whole of the EU so that's unlikely to happen. You may have to find work with a civil engineering firm in the US for a few years to build up your experience so that you are considered worth the hassle of getting a visa for. An applicant with both relevant experience and qualifications is always going to have the best chance of getting that visa.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:42 AM

994 posts, read 1,238,049 times
kingdom of robots

Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 PM

224 posts, read 528,204 times
Can you afford to live in Central London if you are employed as an engineer?

Old 03-31-2013, 11:55 AM

994 posts, read 1,238,049 times
It depends. I am a milk-float engineer and I live in Truro.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkitgto View Post
Can you afford to live in Central London if you are employed as an engineer?
I lived there as a student, making £6/hour at a pub... granted, I had savings, but I was able to work it out!

Old 04-02-2013, 12:22 PM

224 posts, read 528,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
I lived there as a student, making £6/hour at a pub... granted, I had savings, but I was able to work it out!
Do you really want to live like a student while you're working as a full time professional engineer living in London? Sorry, what I meant is....can you afford to have a good life and still live in central London? When I say 'a good life', I mean things such as: no need for a roommate, money to go out on weekends (dinner/drinks), extra money to buy non-essentials once in a while (nice clothes, ipod, runners, gym membership etc.), go on holidays etc all while being able to afford rent/mortgage and then have some money left over for savings????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London